Affordable XCM, advise?

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 6:47 Quote
Hello,
I am the happy owner of a Canyon Spectral 6.0 (2016) with which I have a lot of fun going up and downhill.

For several reasons (the main is that I am going to take care of my second child) I won't ride as much as I would like during the next months. So, it will be sold. The bike.

I recently participated to a cross country marathon race for fun (roc marathon, 84km, 2300D+) and I liked it. My next bike will definitly be a bike that can handle better the uphill, and still give me fun downhill. Do you see me coming?

Yes, I want a Downcou... "cough cough"... I said I want a XCM (stands for crosscountry marathon).
I tried the Canyon LUX and didn't like it, it was too demanding. It is made to go fast. I am not this kind of person, I describe myself as a "self competitor".

I will have a budget of 1800-2000€ and I am (of course) OK with used bikes.

Could you please enlighten me?

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 3:20 Quote
lecriquet wrote:

Could you please enlighten me?

Sure.
Marathon rides takes more time then trail rides, not less.
No XC bikes are fun downhill.

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 6:15 Quote
Thanks for the answer.

My usual rides are around 50km and 1500D+ and my goal is to participate to one or two 80-90km races a year.

I do understand that XC bikes are boring downhill, but for example, the new spectral (as many of trail bikes) tends to be too big for my needs, especially uphill.

So, "downcountry" (or whatever they are called) bikes should fill the gap between "XC boring" and "sluggish trail" bikes?

I was looking at the Giant trance that seems to fit my needs. Are there other "affordable" bikes like this? Let's say 2500€ max.

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 6:20 Quote
Put some tokens and dial your suspension not to use the last 20 or 30% in most situations?

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 16:39 Quote
I wouldn't say an XC bike on a DH course would be boring. Terrifying, yes. Boring? No.

Put an extra 10-15psi in your tyres and like the person above me mentioned, add tokens to your fork to make them more progressive. Maybe throw on a set of less grippy tyres as well for good measure.

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 23:45 Quote
Thanks for the advices.

I am currently running my Fox34 with 4 tokens and 55psi (yes,184cm, 64kg), it helps it to me more supple at the beginning while getting more support in the end. If I put more pressure the fork doesn't react on small bumps.

Regarding the tyre pressure, I am actually running lower pressure (~20-23psi) than before to get more traction going uphill. It definitely helped me a lot.

I changed my back tyre for a Continental crossking, but the problem is that the knobs are tearing appart after a couple of rides (essentially due to braking on sharp stones).

Don't misunderstand me. I am OK with my bike so far. The problem is that I won't ride that much on 2020 and , unfortunatly, the sell price of a 27,5 non boost used bike is getting lower and lower. This is the reason why I don't want to put too much effort and money on this one.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008846
Mobile Version of Website