Need help buying: RM Altitude, SC Bronson, Kona Process, Transition Patrol

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Need help buying: RM Altitude, SC Bronson, Kona Process, Transition Patrol
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 10:29 Quote
Looking for some real owner experience, currently riding my old 2010 Transition Bottle Rocket (my dream bike back when I couldn't afford one, now that I have had one for awhile it's outdated, but still really fun lol).

50% shuttling, 30% Trail with climbing to get back up, 20% chair lift duty and I like a bike that is lively and poppy like my BR. If I could get a bike that rides like the BR but climbs like the Genius I'd be in heaven. I'm a fairly experienced rider (20 years off and on, handle black diamond trails without issue). I've been in my old school bubble for so long that I'm unfamiliar with all the new things in the industry.

While out on a ride with my little brother, he let me try his Scott Genius. I could not believe how easy it was the climb. I thought I had just gotten gotten fat and couldn't keep up. I learned the Bottle Rocket isn't much of a climber, esp with a Totem out front. Despite how decent it was back in the day, times have moved on. This got me thinking about a new bike and have narrowed it down to a few (all in aluminum mostly likely, do to my budget):

Santa Cruz Bronson
Transition Patrol
Kona Process 153
Rocky Mountain Altitude Alloy 50 BC edition
Norco Range (although I heard it's heavy, climbs poorly and only 1 year warranty on the frame)
Anything else worth looking at?

Budget is around 4-5k Cnd but could be stretched a bit. Would consider selling the Bottle Rocket for the right bike, but I'd like to keep it if for nothing else than nostalgia, or a spare for friends. I am not opposed to buying a new last year's model bike either.

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 12:49 Quote
Patrol all the way. Insanely fun descender good technical climber. Not super efficient but sounds like your mostly in it for the downs.

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 14:09 Quote
hartmd25 wrote:
Patrol all the way. Insanely fun descender good technical climber. Not super efficient but sounds like your mostly in it for the downs.

Definitely in it for the downs, but the biggest reason to replace the BR is the climbing. I love my BR for light DH and shuttling, it does great for a low travel bike and being so old.

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 14:35 Quote
The patrol will blow it away in that department. Way lighter, more efficient, better climbing position, the list goes on and in.

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 10:14 Quote
Another vote for the patrol.
It isn't the most efficient as far as shock movement, but climbs super easy because of the geometry. My patrol is the most comfortable climbing bike I have ever had, and also the most capable descender. Only downside is the weight, but it wears it well. (mine is 37lbs with coil suspension front and rear, and inserts in both tires)

Posted: Oct 26, 2019 at 8:37 Quote
Transition Patrol, I currently ride the 2018 Transition Patrol (Latest Version), and I have no complaints. I have been riding it for over year and have had zero problems with it. The frame is incredibly stiff. Although the bike is heavy, mine is 36 lbs in size L, the climbing position makes up for it. The bike also rides like a lighter bike and you do not notice the weight unless you carry it.

Posted: Oct 26, 2019 at 9:50 Quote
I live along way South of Canada with no Rocky Mountain dealers anywhere close. Currently riding a 2014 Altitude 770 Rally Edition and 1999 Element Race. The Altitude is a beast and climbs like a goat, the Element is fast and both require very little maintenance with years of abuse. My next bike will either be a RM Altitude or Instinct.

Posted: Oct 26, 2019 at 14:00 Quote
process 153, if you're looking for a fun bike instead of a plough.

Posted: Oct 26, 2019 at 15:42 Quote
Couldn't find a Patrol to try but I did get to try a Sentinel and a Nomad. Pretty sure the Sentinel is what I'll be buying but I want to try a Patrol still. It has the same travel as the BR (I don't feel like I've ever needed more travel really) I didn't feel the 29's were as much of a negative as I thought I would and now it feels like I should be going that route.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008053
Mobile Version of Website