New Whyte S-150: Paint delamination!

PB Forum :: Whyte Bikes
New Whyte S-150: Paint delamination!
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 22:07 Quote
Hi all, this year I bought my first brand new bike. I bought the 2019 Whyte S-150. It’s a great ride, I’m really enjoying it.

Having never owned a new bike I decided to protect the frame with helicopter tape. All in all it was a good decision and it does its job well. However, in places the tape is coming away from the frame and taking the paint with it. Has anyone else had this problem with Whyte bikes or any other?

I have peeled back the tape in multiple places and it comes away as it should, leaving a perfectly clean, adhesive free surface. However where the tape has been placed on the rear swinging arm (sorry don’t know the lingo), toward the weld joints, it is delaminating.

I personally don’t think that the paint has good adhesion to the substrate in these areas. I have told Whyte and they are refusing to comment...this is where I am confused/angry. I was informed that Whyte were a company that provided an excellent customer service.

Anyone else had similar problems? Maybe I was wrong to protect the bike with tape? Should Whyte be more proactive in helping me out here? Is there a body I should be contacting?

insert sad emoji here>>

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
Whyte would expect you to go via their dealers, I've never had much luck going to them direct with questions, but support via wherever you bought it should be your first stop.

I've got the RS version myself, which still has alloy back end, not had any paint issues other than the usual chips and scrapes from riding.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007239
Mobile Version of Website