Meta, 5010, or Stumpjumper (27.5 on ALL)

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Meta, 5010, or Stumpjumper (27.5 on ALL)
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 10:53 Quote
I’m looking at purchasing my first trail bike. I’m currently a bmx rider looking to break into the mtb sport. I’ll be riding lots of 10 to 20 mile days of singletrack. No racing. No xc. I like jibbing, hopping, going fast down hill, carving sick berms and hitting the occasional big double. I live within 5 hrs of Snowshoe WV so I plan on making a few trips a year there but not often. I’ve narrowed my bike choices down to only 27.5” wheels. NO 29’ers. Here is where I am. Any input on these options. Can spend upwards of 4 grand maybe a touch more.

Commencal Meta 27.5
Specialized StuMpjumper 27.5
Santa Cruz 5010.
*edited to add Santa Cruz Bronson

Thanks ????

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 16:43 Quote
Those 3 bikes seem to be all in different categories making it hard to really pick between the 3. The 5010 would definetely be a fun bike on flatter and smoother trails with lots of jumps. Since it only has 130 mm of travel in the back, it would get easily overwhelmed when the trail points down and it becomes steep, and rocky. On the other hand, the Meta will feel the best on the rough and steep trails. It is going to be noticable harder to jump and throw the bike around as it has 160 mm out back and 170 mm in the front. It is also going to feel really sluggish on the trails where the 5010 shines. I would say the Stumpjumper falls inbetween both bike and offers the best of both worlds. It won't be as fast going down steep and rocky terrain as the meta nor will it feel as poppy as the 5010. Seeing that you are from a BMX background, I would probably recommend the 5010 as it would feel most comfortable to you. In my opinion I would recommend a Transition Patrol or Scout. The Patrol has 170 mm in the front and 160 mm out back. The bike rides like DH bike and can easily plow through terrain. It also is a great jump bike and is pretty playful, as long as you are willing to put in the effort. The Scout has 150 mm up front and 130 mm out back. I would say this bike is as playful as a 5010 yet is able to conquer steep and rough terrain in a more comfortable manner. It also jumps really well and feels better than the Patrol when it comes to steep jumps.

I would say:

1) Transition Scout - If you ride flowy trails with lots of jumps, and also some rougher trails

2) Transition Patrol - If you ride rougher and more bike park stuff (I ride this bike)

3) Santa Cruz 5010 - If you ride 90 % flow and 10 % other trails.

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 18:26 Quote
Zonecheck, thanks for the timely reply. I know those bike are all a bit different spectrum of the "trail bike" category. That's why I included them into here as I just wasn't sure which way to go. My thoughts upon comparing them led me to about the same conclusions as you said, with the Stumpy being kind of the "middle ground" of those I listed with the Commie being the most downhill oriented of the bunch. I watched a bunch of Lewis (5010 rider) and was blown away by how he makes that Santa Cruz handle like a bmx bike in various situations. Commie appeals to me because I like the company image more than any other save for maybe Transition which is about the most "core" brand out there imo. The Transition Patrol was in my initial list before I wittled it down..... thanks. Still a lot to think about.

*and in FULL DISCLOSURE, I actually just bought a 2019 Stumpjumper Alloy Comp 27.5 last week(rear slx caliper shit the seals aready) I made this post for my twin brother as he now wants a bike too, we both grew up riding bmx, and still do from time to time. He's following the thread on his phone.

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 7:26 Quote
Ohiomtbwannab wrote:
Zonecheck, thanks for the timely reply. I know those bike are all a bit different spectrum of the "trail bike" category. That's why I included them into here as I just wasn't sure which way to go. My thoughts upon comparing them led me to about the same conclusions as you said, with the Stumpy being kind of the "middle ground" of those I listed with the Commie being the most downhill oriented of the bunch. I watched a bunch of Lewis (5010 rider) and was blown away by how he makes that Santa Cruz handle like a bmx bike in various situations. Commie appeals to me because I like the company image more than any other save for maybe Transition which is about the most "core" brand out there imo. The Transition Patrol was in my initial list before I wittled it down..... thanks. Still a lot to think about.

*and in FULL DISCLOSURE, I actually just bought a 2019 Stumpjumper Alloy Comp 27.5 last week(rear slx caliper shit the seals aready) I made this post for my twin brother as he now wants a bike too, we both grew up riding bmx, and still do from time to time. He's following the thread on his phone.

Other than the rear caliber issue, how do you like the bike? I'm going back and forth like you, and it sounds like we like the same style terrain. I wish the giant trance 2 was still in production for 2020 as I have a giant dealer in my town but I think the specialized SJ 27.5 may win my money! The 29er doesn't scare me either. I will test ride both.

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 9:29 Quote
Kxfracer108 wrote:
Ohiomtbwannab wrote:

Other than the rear caliber issue, how do you like the bike? I'm going back and forth like you, and it sounds like we like the same style terrain. I wish the giant trance 2 was still in production for 2020 as I have a giant dealer in my town but I think the specialized SJ 27.5 may win my money! The 29er doesn't scare me either. I will test ride both.

Dude. I f*cking love my 2019 27.5” Stumpjumper Alloy Comp! I had a really weird clunk/click coming from the Fox Dps shock mount at the top tube. I mean it was loud AF. I pulled it apart, greased the bushing and reassembled and it’s all good now. I’m coming off bmx riding a few days a week, and I got used to this bike in about 12 miles. The suspension didn’t work well for me (way too soggy and soft feeling and constant pedal strikes with the chip in low position) until I added the largest spacer in the rear, and put 3- 10cc(green) fox spacers in the fork. Tires seem spot on (2.6” and I’m still running tubes) and before my caliper shit the bed the brakes were really good too. I rode 12 miles singletrack and about an hour on dirtjumps and wood lipped take off to dirt downside jumps too and it seems like a real versatile machine to me. I do see myself possibly replacing the stock fox dps rear shock for something with more bottom resistance as I have the largest volume spacer in it and I still can pop the sag o ring off the shaft on big hits and I only weigh 140lbs. Love the fox Rythm 34. Maybe if I were to nitpick, I think a slightly lower stand over height might be kinda nice but with 150mm travel front and rear yet still feeling good to me pedaling long sections of trail, I can’t fault much on it. Everybody makes comments of how heavy it must be, but it seems fine to me, but I’m used to 28lb bmx Bikes so 30ish lbs for a mtb seems great to me! Also, I’m a small framed guy and had to cut 3/4” off each side of the bars as they felt wayyyy to wide for my shoulders. Oh I’m 5’8” tall 30” inseam on a Medium size frame. Feels great.

I’m taking it to some strip mine pits /high walls to do some “free riding” on it this weekend. Will know more about the bikes handling once I get back.

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 14:36 Quote
Ohiomtbwannab wrote:
Kxfracer108 wrote:
Ohiomtbwannab wrote:

Dude. I f*cking love my 2019 27.5” Stumpjumper Alloy Comp! I had a really weird clunk/click coming from the Fox Dps shock mount at the top tube. I mean it was loud AF. I pulled it apart, greased the bushing and reassembled and it’s all good now. I’m coming off bmx riding a few days a week, and I got used to this bike in about 12 miles. The suspension didn’t work well for me (way too soggy and soft feeling and constant pedal strikes with the chip in low position) until I added the largest spacer in the rear, and put 3- 10cc(green) fox spacers in the fork. Tires seem spot on (2.6” and I’m still running tubes) and before my caliper shit the bed the brakes were really good too. I rode 12 miles singletrack and about an hour on dirtjumps and wood lipped take off to dirt downside jumps too and it seems like a real versatile machine to me. I do see myself possibly replacing the stock fox dps rear shock for something with more bottom resistance as I have the largest volume spacer in it and I still can pop the sag o ring off the shaft on big hits and I only weigh 140lbs. Love the fox Rythm 34. Maybe if I were to nitpick, I think a slightly lower stand over height might be kinda nice but with 150mm travel front and rear yet still feeling good to me pedaling long sections of trail, I can’t fault much on it. Everybody makes comments of how heavy it must be, but it seems fine to me, but I’m used to 28lb bmx Bikes so 30ish lbs for a mtb seems great to me! Also, I’m a small framed guy and had to cut 3/4” off each side of the bars as they felt wayyyy to wide for my shoulders. Oh I’m 5’8” tall 30” inseam on a Medium size frame. Feels great.

I’m taking it to some strip mine pits /high walls to do some “free riding” on it this weekend. Will know more about the bikes handling once I get back.

I'm the same height with 31" inseam. I am an out of shape dad with two young kids so I am looking at just getting out of the house so I feel like this bike will be perfect. I will be coming off a KTM enduro dirtbike and a 2011 Specialized Rockhopper HT so I'm sure this bike will feel like a Cadillac to me! Can't wait to get one soon. Have a fun ride this weekend!

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 15:45 Quote
wrote:
wrote:
I'm the same height with 31" inseam. I am an out of shape dad with two young kids so I am looking at just getting out of the house so I feel like this bike will be perfect. I will be coming off a KTM enduro dirtbike and a 2011 Specialized Rockhopper HT so I'm sure this bike will feel like a Cadillac to me! Can't wait to get one soon. Have a fun ride this weekend!
Interesting, my brother rides a KTM 300xcw, and I ride a Yz250 2stroke setup exclusively for woods racing. I actually felt like the Stumpy feels more like riding a dirtbike than riding my bmx bike. It seems that my brother (whom I actually started this thread for) is leaning hard now on purchasing a carbon Santa Cruz Bronson C S+. He's in between that and the 5010..... but being somewhat close to Snowshoe has him thinking the Bronson might be the better choice simply for the few trips we would take a summer there.Im simply blown away about how great my Stumpy feels underneath me. Just feels so natural to ride it over almost any terrain. The pedal strikes from my suspension not being setup to my liking were a big initial issue that I got squared away. Obviously you've read of the "flip chip". I'm still running in the low positiion but am excited about trying to "flip the chip".

https://youtu.be/d0xl4FK50iM

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 19:54 Quote
Hey, been on KTM's for 15 or so years.Beer Enduro and HS racer. I got back into mtn biking after a neck injury about 5 years ago.

Started out on a 5010 as I was coming from 26".

As far as fun, I think the longer travel is more fun and can pedal just as well. I got a Tallboy after the 5010 and really enjoyed that bike, but wanted something that could handle the faster downs a little better than the TB, so I bought a Hightower LT and sold the TB. Going from 110mm travel out back to 150 mm. This bike is a hoot. Loves to pop off stuff and just handles everything I throw at it. I ended up buying a Hightower for me to ride and let me son ride the LT. I thought it would be that just right between my TB and the LT. I was wrong, it is fun, but not quite the fun as the longer travel LT and doesn't pedal quite as well as the TB. I think I made the mistake of having the LT first. If not, I think I would like the HT moreso. It makes you want to hit stuff like the LT, but doesn't handle it as well. I like it, but the LT is so much fun that I choose to ride it instead. IOW, I would consider the Bronson. Plus, the Bronson has the newer linkage set up, which is an improvement.

Posted: Oct 26, 2019 at 5:51 Quote
I think you would love the 5010. After not riding for 9 years I got a 2016 v2 5010 C S build and rode it for 2+ years. I sold it for about half of what I paid. I ride in Northwest Arkansas which has a lot of flow and technical trails with modest verticals. The 5010 climbed amazingly. It was fun. The components were great. I did upgrade to carbon wheels.

But....after that bit if time, I wanted more travel than the 130mm of the 5010. The other commenters here raise similar points. The SC hightowers are great fun. My buddy just got one. I personally went with an Ibis Ripmo. I think it does everything better than the 5010 including popping off little trail features, climbing, and descending. I am noticeably faster in every Strava segment I've done on the Ripmo. Would I have felt this way without riding the 5010 for a while? I don't know. It the Ripmo a big bike? Yes, it's way bigger than a bmx and it's longer and taller than a 5010. However, I never feel under- or over-biked where I'm riding now.

Having lived in Maryland and skied at snowshoe, the chunky East coast trails may overwhelm the 5010 and the 27.5 wheels. The v2 did not excel in chunky rock garden type terrain here in NWA. Maybe the new one is better.

The Ripmo AF is right at $4k for the SLX build. I would recommend that one. The other bikes recommended here are also probably pretty sick.

Posted: Oct 30, 2019 at 17:28 Quote
Alright killer feedback. Thanks gentleman. My brother is all over the place right now. He's entertaining the Canyon Spectral, and the YT Jeffsy. He's a bit frustrated feeling that mtb' industry is way to convulated making choosing a bike way to difficult. My take on that is he's getting into this at a time when there are so many amazing options and it's a good problem to have. He's a bit overwhelmed at the moment and holding off until he can wrap his head around it all and find something that suits him. We're twin brothers. And we must be polar opposites, because it took me a mere 3 weeks of researching trail bikes and I plunked down the cash on a Stumpy and got riding fairly quickly.... I get the feeling this isn't going to be the case unless he just crosses paths with some Trail bike that just speaks just right to him lmao. can't blame'em , it's alot of money to drop.

Posted: Oct 31, 2019 at 6:07 Quote
There are tons of really really good bikes out there. But one thing is certain...you can never go wrong with a Stumpjumper. It's like the Honda Accord or Honda XR650 of mountain bikes. Just well built well thought out good all round bikes.

Posted: Oct 31, 2019 at 6:23 Quote
some don't like the way the horst link pedals, me being one.

sometimes you just have to jump in, used is better money wise, and get your feet wet. you learn over time what you like and what you don't. impossible to figure how a bike will ride based on numbers and reviews alone. another thing is to find a demo day at a park where you can test several brands in one day.

But, as said, lots of good ones to choose from now.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009643
Mobile Version of Website