2020 Instinct BC

PB Forum :: Rocky Mountain Bikes
2020 Instinct BC
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 9:40 Quote
Just picked up a 2020 Instinct BC Carbon 70 in the Copper color- first Rocky and super impressed. Swapped out for a carbon bar, threw a cushcore in the rear and have a float x2 on my bench awaiting installation (more adjustability)... also have some ice tech rotors coming as the stock rotors just weren't enough.

Quite impressed with the bike overall- Feels quite playful and poppy. The snappiness is there in a good way when hitting techy terrain. Climbs incredibly well for a big rig, uses the travel nicely even though it feels like it sits higher up in it a little more. My first ride was on the same set of trails I've been ripping with same bike for 2+ years and I tied some PR's and was floating 2-3ft further on little jumps/hops in the trail as its so much lighter.

I came from a commencal meta AM 27.5 with coil in the rear- Funny enough the fork/ST is a little steeper (.4) and outside the big wheels all the geo is nearly spot on...

Inflated the tires and took her off to GJ/Moab for a weekend to break in

photo
photo
photo

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 12:48 Quote
Very nice, I can’t tell from the photos, but what drivetrain did you get? I’ve been riding Rocky’s for years and very happy with how good they ride with very little maintenance.

O+
Posted: Oct 26, 2019 at 9:00 Quote
DonLopez wrote:
Very nice, I can’t tell from the photos, but what drivetrain did you get? I’ve been riding Rocky’s for years and very happy with how good they ride with very little maintenance.

It’s the new Xt 12 speed. Really liking it. Only been on 11spd with a 46 for a few years, so that little xtra is nice ????

Posted: Oct 26, 2019 at 9:35 Quote
Now I’m jealous! That bike would be perfect for where I ride, but recently bought a new motorcycle so my next RM bike will have to wait. My Altitude is 1x10 XTR and is really all I need.

O+
Posted: Oct 29, 2019 at 14:58 Quote
I have the 2015 BC Edition model. Still love it, even to this day. It rolls like a monster truck. Couple things I played with this year. Went from the 2.3" tires to 2.5" and find it's much more grippy on the climbs and berms. Running Maxxis DHF's front and rear (better for the wet riding on Vancouver Island "winter" season). I've been playing with the Ride 9 system to find my 'sweet spot' but I can't seem to find a good compromise between downhill and climbing. It's a PITA to stop and change it on the fly every time I go up or down. Positions 3 and 7 seem to feel the best for me. Great idea going with upgraded rotors. I'm running the same ones and everyone who's ridden my bike, comment on how good they are. I also upgraded by bar to a carbon Chromag.

One thing that drives me nuts is the pivots. There's a riding area I go to a few times a years and the kind of dirt that place has, gets all up in the pivots and makes the bike creak really badly. I find I'm pulling the bike apart a lot just to clean them up. Good thing is, I have the procedure down to a science now.

Have fun!

O+
Posted: Oct 30, 2019 at 8:23 Quote
rossi45 wrote:
I have the 2015 BC Edition model. Still love it, even to this day. It rolls like a monster truck. Couple things I played with this year. Went from the 2.3" tires to 2.5" and find it's much more grippy on the climbs and berms. Running Maxxis DHF's front and rear (better for the wet riding on Vancouver Island "winter" season). I've been playing with the Ride 9 system to find my 'sweet spot' but I can't seem to find a good compromise between downhill and climbing. It's a PITA to stop and change it on the fly every time I go up or down. Positions 3 and 7 seem to feel the best for me. Great idea going with upgraded rotors. I'm running the same ones and everyone who's ridden my bike, comment on how good they are. I also upgraded by bar to a carbon Chromag.

One thing that drives me nuts is the pivots. There's a riding area I go to a few times a years and the kind of dirt that place has, gets all up in the pivots and makes the bike creak really badly. I find I'm pulling the bike apart a lot just to clean them up. Good thing is, I have the procedure down to a science now.

Have fun!
I will have fun! thanks man rides great. I've been on 2.5WT since they first came out, awesome improvement.

No Ride9 on the new ones, they did away with it- just set it up on slackest position and away you go. Though it seems to climb fine and descend even better.

Only had her in the dust, no mud yet so will see how that goes- how often you find yourself changing out the pivot bearings?
photo

Posted: Oct 31, 2019 at 7:02 Quote
The basic Instinct still comes with Ride-9 and 140mm travel. The BC Edition does not but has more travel.

O+
Posted: Oct 31, 2019 at 8:51 Quote
I actually haven't changed the pivots at all. They all look fine when I pull everything apart, aside from some dirt. I had it in to my RM dealer and talked to them about it when it first happened. They said that, if I just keep the pivots clean and even apply a little waterproof grease then they should be good. They said they rarely change out pivots. After 4 years of riding this thing, they seem to be standing the test of time, so I'm not worried about replacing them any time soon.

interesting about the removal of the ride 9 from the BC editions. Fixed setup for Enduro riding, it appears. That new Instinct 99 has it....but I guess that's what you get when you pay $13,500 CDN for a bike....

Posted: Nov 1, 2019 at 12:34 Quote
The BC Edition Instinct is just a long shocked Instinct. They removed the Ride-9 from the BC Editions for rear tire clearance reasons. I BC'd my instinct last season and after reading the interview with TV a few weeks ago, I bought a pair of offset bushings so I can access more of the Ride-9 settings. In past, the Ride-3 has been the setting I have used and curious how it feels with the BC Edition.

O+
Posted: May 6, 2020 at 13:57 Quote
Has anyone tried the BC edition with a 170 up front? Hoping that will slacken it slightly without affecting the pedaling too much. Just got this built up and playing around with parts off my old rig before I sell it.

photo

O+
Posted: May 7, 2020 at 14:35 Quote
tkwhite4 wrote:
Has anyone tried the BC edition with a 170 up front? Hoping that will slacken it slightly without affecting the pedaling too much. Just got this built up and playing around with parts off my old rig before I sell it.

I've been debating this myself- I asked on the RM Team AMA about their setup on the Instincts and Jessi/Remi were running a 170 and then using an Angleset to slacken out even more!

O+
Posted: May 11, 2020 at 8:54 Quote
I’ve now been riding with the 170 for a few days and loving the extra squish, especially on steep downhills. That being said my 170 has a 51mm rake and the 160 has a 44mm rake so it is a little tough to discern what factors are attributed to only the travel change

Posted: May 21, 2020 at 12:36 Quote
jhilly wrote:
tkwhite4 wrote:

I've been debating this myself- I asked on the RM Team AMA about their setup on the Instincts and Jessi/Remi were running a 170 and then using an Angleset to slacken out even more!

I had the 2018 BC Edition that I ran in the following configurations:

160/155 (stock)
170/155 - found the bb a bit high
170/140 - cornered better but definitely a rougher ride in the rear
170/155 w 1 degree slacker angleset - The sweet spot for me. BB height felt "right", and it pedaled just as well as the stock configuration.

O+
Posted: May 28, 2020 at 9:58 Quote
survivalofthefattest wrote:
170/155 w 1 degree slacker angleset - The sweet spot for me. BB height felt "right", and it pedaled just as well as the stock configuration.

Exactly what I was hoping to hear. I've got a 170- Fox 38 on order and an angleset. hopefully should be here in the next week or so

O+
Posted: Jun 12, 2020 at 14:00 Quote
jhilly wrote:
survivalofthefattest wrote:

Exactly what I was hoping to hear. I've got a 170- Fox 38 on order and an angleset. hopefully should be here in the next week or so

Fox 38's seem to be impossible to come by till Aug/September- googled my butt off this am and found one- in Pistachio Razz what do you think is gonna be RAD or SAD on the front (with my color scheme as seen above Orange/black)

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016613
Mobile Version of Website