Hands/knuckles killing me

PB Forum :: Downhill
Hands/knuckles killing me
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 26, 2019 at 23:11 Quote
This was my first year at the park and on a DH bike, and the bottom side of the base only ring finger on each side we’re killing me, I haven’t ridden in 3 weeks and they still feel bruised! I bought thicker grips last 3 rides, always brake 1 finger, try to be conscious of not gripping too tight. I’m was thinking of trying some vibrocore bars and definitely upgrading from my Boxxer fork. Any other tips?

Posted: Oct 26, 2019 at 23:20 Quote
Try making a conscious effort to relax and drop your shoulders, I found when i first started road riding i was tense and would get a sore neck from being so stiff.

Posted: Oct 27, 2019 at 4:36 Quote
[Quote="Hawkinco"]This was my first year at the park and on a DH bike, and the bottom side of the base only ring finger on each side we’re killing me, I haven’t ridden in 3 weeks and they still feel bruised! I bought thicker grips last 3 rides, always brake 1 finger, try to be conscious of not gripping too tight. I’m was thinking of trying some vibrocore bars and definitely upgrading from my Boxxer fork. Any other tips?[/Quote

How long are the runs at your bike park? Try stopping more often next year to give your hands a rest and help them build strength. I've done two seasons at Panorama Bike Park and never had one issue, I went to Silverstar for one day which has considerably longer runs and my hands were on fire after two or three runs, so I did have to stop a once or twice throughout the longer runs to make sure I got through the day.

Also wearing gloves helps.

Posted: Oct 27, 2019 at 5:30 Quote
• Switch to push-on grips, if you currently use lock-on. This will double the amount of rubber between your hands and the bar. Oury grips are my favourite.
• Do a lowers service on your fork. This can greatly reduce friction.
• Can you reduce your tire pressure?
• A more flexible bar may help. Not convinced Vibrocore is inherently better. The Funn Black Ace is the most comfortable bar I've used.

Posted: Oct 28, 2019 at 20:51 Quote
this:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/zeps-how-to-body-position-descending-cornering-braking-2016.html

Breath and relax. BREATH

Also remember this is your first year riding lift assisted DH, (how long have you been riding prior?) This is a learning experience, as you gain experience you will be able to breath and relax easier, ride longer and you body will likely adapt.

I had rode bikes all my life but the first few years of aggressive mountain biking definitely had a lot of learning curves and taking time for my body to adapt.

Also make sure your suspension is functioning properly.

Posted: Nov 5, 2019 at 17:56 Quote
One up carbon bars and esi extra chunky grips made a world of change for me. Also, this simple advice given to me helped: kick your heels down, put your ass over the seat, keep your chin over the stem when your flying through gnar at speed, and ease up on the grips. Stay loose!

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 12:29 Quote
i had the same issue, not necessarily hard terrain, but the breaking bumps literally killed me, it was brutal

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 22:35 Quote
Just rip out that shit damper and put in an Avy cart. I did 93 days at a bike park one summer while I had both a stock boxxer and a boxxer with Avy. Did a swap one day in the middle of summer and up until then I had zero issues with holding on....after a couple of runs on the stock fork I went home and switched to my Avy. It was unbareable, at first I just thought I had just overridden but then I figured that I cant have ridden every day for 40 something days and "overridden" would just happen when I switched fork. And sure enough it hadnt, rode some 50 days after to without problem.

The Boxxer chassi is good and easy to service but the stock damper MiCo, MoCo and R2C2 dampers are just not all that great compared to a high end cart like Avy. Havent ridden the new Charger but from what reviews say is that it is better than the old stock dampers but not Avy. And another big plus to Avy is that you dont really need to service that side as much either and you get a hydraulic bottom out.

Best upgrade you can do for park riding hands down and its not even close.

Posted: Nov 9, 2019 at 17:02 Quote
Here are some of my findings from 15 years of constant finger pain of the sort you´re describing, which i finally managed to get rid of at the beginning of this season.
For me the problem was in bike geometry and suspension setup mostly.
First and foremost, you want a bike that´s not too small so you´re not riding "in the backseat" all the time. Having your center of mass too far back will put enormous strain on your finger joints as they basically have to constantly take the full strain of your whole body weight pulling on them. it´s like you´re doing pullups all day instead of resting your body weight on your palms and mostly your legs.
Secondly, if you have crappy suspension, get it sorted out. Once you´re on decent equipment, make sure you´re not undersprung and underdamped in compression. Also make sure your rebound isn´t overdamped.
You want your suspension nice and firm.
Contrary to popular believe this can alleviate hand pain, as it allows you to rely heavily on your suspension to take the impacts. With suspension that´s too soft, it tends to put you in the aforementioned backseat position and it also puts a lot of workload on your legs, as now you need to tippytoe on your pedals in order to not overwhelm your suspension travel.
It also allows you to skip over a lot of the smaller stuff without hanging up on obstacles.
I strongly suggest that if you´re not 100% sure your suspension is perfectly dialed, try firming things up. Make sure there´s no diving going on and your rebound is actually able to recover fast enough for the whole chassis to stay composed most of the time. Basically only bigger g-outs should force significant change in your suspension.
If you´re unsure in your current setup, try upping your pressure or spring rate. Add a little LSC and check whether your rebound could be sped up a little whithout getting out of hand.
These changes might feel awkward at first.
Make sure you actually understand the correct riding position required.
Strong input through your legs/feet while your palms should be able to just rest relatively easy on the bars.
If you´re unsure, try hitting some rougher, straight but not too technical/steep sections while trying actively to kinda smash into things. Just try being overly stiff. Your suspension should be able to take the hits without blowing through the travel and without bucking you off the bike either.
You need to really understand why firmer suspension can help with hand problems by allowing you to funnel more of the impacts into the suspension and not compensating through body/leg movement. From there, you need to make your own adjustments in order to achieve the desired setup.

And before anyone gets upset, i´m not talking a particularly stiff setup here. Just too many people run a setup that´s too soft and even just a few PSI, going up 25lbs in spring rate, more LSC or adjusted rebound can already make a huge difference.
We´re just so used to the idea of softer suspension being more comfortable that going the opposite route is something that doesn´t occur to many people who suffer from these problems.
For me it became an endless cycle of having to run soft suspension due to pain and pain increasing due to soft suspension. I had to get into a good spot with my health before i was able to tackle the needed adjustments and be able to see if they in fact did aleviate the problems rather than feeling shitty due to already existing damage.
So make sure your hands are properly healed up and don´t overdo it at the beginning of next season until you got things sorted out.
Also be scientific about the whole process. Do not change too many parameters at once and do some research beforehand so you´re able to understand what the different settings actually do and are not just fiddling around with the knobs on your damper.

Some other things that did help me.
- Grips are important. Funny enough for a long time i could only ride with thick grips, as any smaller grips i simply couldn´t hold on to. Now i´m on Sensus Lock ons which are super slim but incredibly comfy and grippy. I highly recommend trying them.
- Cushcore/Procore was a huge improvement for me before i got the other things sorted out.
- Brake lever angle and reach adjustment massively impact your position on the bike and how effective your hands can apply pressure to the bars and brakes. Do not neglect it because you think your setup works for you. Experiment a little.

Most importantly, any changes you make, do not revert to the old setting immediately just because they initially feel worse. You´re used to the old setup. You need time to adjust tot he new one and then see whether things improve once you have adapted.
There´s a difference between FEELING good and being effective. What feels good to us mostly is just what we´re used to.

Things that have already been said like taking care of your suspension component´s service intervals, upgrades etc. should definitely be done and considered also.

Hope this helps.

Posted: Nov 9, 2019 at 18:39 Quote
Loki87 wrote:
Hope this helps.

All good info

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 15:51 Quote
Thanks for all of the input, I will definitely give it a try.

One thing I know for sure is the Boxxer fork is completely clapped out. I blame a lot of it on that and poor suspension setup.

I bought a new bike Commencal Clash for 2020 and immediately ordered a DVO Onyx fork and Jade coil for the rear. I’m going to be trying some different bars (carbon 31.8 to start) and most likely going with Rev grips and Cush cores.

Will definitely also be working on breathing, loosening up, and body positioning.

Thanks again all

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009045
Mobile Version of Website