Ok to store bike hanging by one wheel?

PB Forum :: Beginners
Ok to store bike hanging by one wheel?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 27, 2019 at 7:56 Quote
Hi, not sure where to post this, but I have a bike rack on the side wall in my garage that holds 5 bikes hanging by one wheel each. Holds the kids bikes and my cheap commuter bike fine. But is it ok to hang my mountain bike (SC Hightower) by one wheel, especially when it's not hanging from the ceiling but from the side wall? I'm a little worried I'm going to torque the rims (DT Swiss alu).

I can't remember exactly but I think this is the rack

Any thoughts?

Posted: Oct 27, 2019 at 8:48 Quote
Totally fine to leave it hanging indefinitely. Possibly not okay if you run into it and use the whole bike as a lever to jam the rim into the hook. Just don't run into it and everything will be fine.

Posted: Oct 29, 2019 at 4:54 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Totally fine to leave it hanging indefinitely. Possibly not okay if you run into it and use the whole bike as a lever to jam the rim into the hook. Just don't run into it and everything will be fine.

Good stuff, thanks for the feedback!

Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 5:22 Quote
naturallight87 wrote:
Hi, not sure where to post this, but I have a bike rack on the side wall in my garage that holds 5 bikes hanging by one wheel each. Holds the kids bikes and my cheap commuter bike fine. But is it ok to hang my mountain bike (SC Hightower) by one wheel, especially when it's not hanging from the ceiling but from the side wall? I'm a little worried I'm going to torque the rims (DT Swiss alu).

I can't remember exactly but I think this is the rack

Any thoughts?
Yes its fine - there is even a scientific physics debate somewhere on that topic :-)

Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 8:29 Quote
The only thing I'd be concerned about if hanging a nice bike vertically by the front wheel for extended periods of time such as through winter (and something I've thought about myself more than once) is the possibility of fork bushing deformation. From basically all the weight of the bike being put on the fork stanchions against the bushings in the lowers. Not sure if it would cause any issues, just something to think about...

Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 8:53 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
[ ... ] the possibility of fork bushing deformation. From basically all the weight of the bike being put on the fork stanchions against the bushings in the lowers. Not sure if it would cause any issues [ ... ]

It would not. At all. None.

If bushings were prone to stress relaxation or creep at such low force, then sitting on the bike would cause it to happen to a greater extent.

Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 9:01 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
If bushings were prone to stress relaxation or creep at such low force, then sitting on the bike would cause it to happen to a greater extent.

Agreed to a certain extent. But you're not sitting on the bike in one position without moving for 4 months straight. Again, I have no idea if this could actually lead to any issues, just something I've always thought about.

Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 9:19 Quote
I assure you, the amount is zero.

Another way to think about it: Fork bushings can be similar or identical to shock bushings, including the eyelet bushings. and those don't deform from static loads.

The load on the bushings from the hanging bike is dozens of pounds. The loads when riding can be around 100 times higher. Dynamic, sure, but if the material wasn't stable under very light, static loads, it wouldn't have a hope of enduring hundreds of hours of riding with tens to hundreds of times as much force.

Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 9:27 Quote
its just like hanging from a dropper, people say that it is absolutely terrible, but no-one actually knows if its bad or not

Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 9:44 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
I assure you, the amount is zero.

You would know better than I! Salute

Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 9:59 Quote
traqs wrote:
its just like hanging from a dropper, people say that it is absolutely terrible, but no-one actually knows if its bad or not

People do know! And it's not bad, providing the post is extended. If the post is partially dropped, the force will create a vacuum, which is only likely to cause a problem on early model Reverbs. Best to not risk it, though, so just extend the post before hanging the bike from the seat or clamping the post.

Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 10:03 Quote
I think the bigger concern is scratching the dropper stanchion when clamping it. Make sure the stanchion and stand clamps are clean first!

Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 10:05 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
I think the bigger concern is scratching the dropper stanchion when clamping it. Make sure the stanchion and stand clamps are clean first!

Absolutely! I never clamp a stanchion, though most people seem comfortable with it.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007465
Mobile Version of Website