Yt Jeffsy for enduro racing

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Yt Jeffsy for enduro racing
Previous Page |
Posted: Oct 31, 2019 at 20:26 Quote
I have a 2019 Jeffsy cf comp, I have updated to the dpx2 and 150mm air shaft. I did my first enduro race this fall and loved it. The bike is great and seems to handle everything I send it down. I am thinking of upgrade the fork to a 36 and the shock to a coil for more of a enduro bike. Or is it best to save the cash and get a Capra. I live in lower Michigan which is pretty flat and go to the upper peninsula 4 times a year for enduro and downhill fun. Just trying to figure out get two bikes or one kick ass bike.

Thanks

Posted: Nov 1, 2019 at 4:50 Quote
Everyone’s different but I think many people do not feel a Capra and a Jeffsy are that far apart. Especially once you upgrade the suspension, add a coil or longer travel fork. There are also plenty of people who have both and love them. You will lose a significant amount of climbing efficiency when moving to a Capra.

Posted: Nov 1, 2019 at 12:47 Quote
Yt46 wrote:
I have a 2019 Jeffsy cf comp, I have updated to the dpx2 and 150mm air shaft. I did my first enduro race this fall and loved it. The bike is great and seems to handle everything I send it down. I am thinking of upgrade the fork to a 36 and the shock to a coil for more of a enduro bike. Or is it best to save the cash and get a Capra. I live in lower Michigan which is pretty flat and go to the upper peninsula 4 times a year for enduro and downhill fun. Just trying to figure out get two bikes or one kick ass bike.

Thanks
I have a jeffsy 27 AL 2018 and I upgraded the suspensions to Fox 36 and marzocchi bomber coil.
I can say that the jeffsy is definitely an enduro machine and I see the Capra more like bike park/freeride friendly.
Differences from jeffsy to Capra is:
Head angle jeffsy 66 - Capra 65
Travel jeffsy 160/160 - Capra 170/170
And others very little things, but very marginal.

Posted: Nov 1, 2019 at 14:46 Quote
I was thinking the same thing. I am not great at jumping, but send it though rock gardens and drops are what I enjoy the most. I have it setup with 150mm of travel and wasn't thinking it was enough. I guess upgrading to a Capra with 160mm of travel might suit what I ride. Going to fox 36 and coil might be what I am looking for.

Posted: Nov 2, 2019 at 3:35 Quote
You know you can upgrade the shock to 160 mm on the jeffsy too. I did that, with also a 160 mm debonair spring in the pike upfront, and this is definitely enough for enduro in my opinion.

Oh, but I am on a 27.5. You probably have a 29, right?

Posted: Nov 2, 2019 at 7:01 Quote
I have a 29, and put a air shaft to make it a 150. I have read about upping the fork to a 160, but have not heard anyone do it yet.

Posted: Nov 2, 2019 at 9:27 Quote
Yt46 wrote:
I have a 29, and put a air shaft to make it a 150. I have read about upping the fork to a 160, but have not heard anyone do it yet.

Don't overthink it. You did your first enduro race and loved it. This is the true test and it passed it.

Posted: Nov 3, 2019 at 6:25 Quote
I did pretty well at the race, just thinking a Capra would of been better. I over think everything, just ride what I got. Once I over ride it then I will get a Capra.

Posted: Nov 3, 2019 at 11:19 Quote
Yt46 wrote:
I did pretty well at the race, just thinking a Capra would of been better. I over think everything, just ride what I got. Once I over ride it then I will get a Capra.

The thing is, as mentioned before, you will lose some efficienty on uphill and flowy sections. Will it be compensated by a small gain downhill? Hard to say. Also depends on you and your skills / riding style etc.

To me the Capra is a very good bikepark bike, and still a really nice choice if you are not racing, but probably not the best option for this matter.

Posted: Nov 3, 2019 at 15:11 Quote
Even though there are some whispers of its climbing ability lacking, the YT Capra 29 does well uphill and is as good as anything with the same travel.

Posted: Nov 4, 2019 at 10:12 Quote
the Jeffsy is a very slack trail bike, and the capra is a super slack enduro bike. from what you describe it sounds like the jeffsy will work perfect for you, and unless you need the extra travel that the capra has, i would say go nuts on the jeffsy

Posted: Nov 5, 2019 at 14:25 Quote
Think I am going to use the Jeffsy. I have read good things about using a coil on the rear so I am looking into that upgrade. Just wondering if a coil fork upgrade is worth the money. That doesn't seem like a popular upgrade.

Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 21:16 Quote
Yt46 wrote:
Think I am going to use the Jeffsy. I have read good things about using a coil on the rear so I am looking into that upgrade. Just wondering if a coil fork upgrade is worth the money. That doesn't seem like a popular upgrade.

The latest Fox 36 and Rock Shox Lyrik forks are hard to improve on.

Posted: Nov 10, 2019 at 16:18 Quote
mastodon wrote:
Even though there are some whispers of its climbing ability lacking, the YT Capra 29 does well uphill and is as good as anything with the same travel.
I can attest to that. I literally just got back from riding and although have changed to the 180mm debonair spring and removed the 5mm spacer in my super deluxe rc3 effectively making the rear end 170mm and running cushcore with dh casing tires, I feel that the climbing ability of my 29er capra is more than acceptable. It's as close to a dh bike on the downs as you can get. So considering that, I'm happy with it's climbing.

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 0:23 Quote
https://enduro-mtb.com/en/battle-review-yt-jeffsy-cf-pro-race-29-vs-yt-capra-cf-pro-race-29/

Sounds like the Capra is faster downhill but the Jeffsy is better at everything else, as expected. Maybe the Jeffsy 27 is the unicorn you’re looking for?

From what you’re describing it sounds like the Jeffsy is perfect. If you did a lot of lift assisted park riding I could see the Capra being a better choice.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010465
Mobile Version of Website