Snapped Seat Collar Bolt

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Snapped Seat Collar Bolt
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 1, 2019 at 15:25 Quote
Hey guys. I was going over my bike and tightening things down. When I got to my seat collar, I set my torque wrench to 6 nm and the bolt snapped in two. I've no idea where the head portion flew off to, the remaining piece is still in the collar threads. I've got an EZ out to remove the remaining piece so no problem there (I hope).

I'd like to run down to the local hardware store and buy a replacement. Does anyone know what size bolt is used on a 2017 Santa Cruz Bronson seat collar? It's got to be metric, right? Does anyone know if the thread pitch is fine or coarse?

I emailed Santa Cruz a few days ago for help but they're not as responsive as they used to be.

Posted: Nov 2, 2019 at 5:59 Quote
General size I have come accross in metric for seat post
clamp bolts have been either M5 or M6,
M5 x 0.8 mm thread and
M6 x 1.0 mm thread

Posted: Nov 4, 2019 at 14:40 Quote
muddytreker wrote:
M5 x 0.8 mm thread and
M6 x 1.0 mm thread

I'll shop for both, thanks!

Posted: Nov 10, 2019 at 8:29 Quote
Would it not be easier to bring the seat collar with you to the hardware store and match up a bolt to it?

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 15:24 Quote
the-one1 wrote:
Would it not be easier to bring the seat collar with you to the hardware store and match up a bolt to it?

Yes and no. Yes, removing the seat collar was easy.

No because these metric bolts are in a sealed pack of three (3), not individually loose in a drawer. I don't think Home Depot would've been too happy watching me tear open several packs until finding the bolt that fit.

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 15:26 Quote
muddytreker wrote:
M5 x 0.8 mm thread and
M6 x 1.0 mm thread

It's a M5, thanks again!

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008434
Mobile Version of Website