Frame bearing issues

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Frame bearing issues
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 3, 2019 at 9:31 Quote
Hey all. I own a 2018 devinci spartan and a couple months ago I noticed some rear end sloppiness when riding. Upon investigation I found that the bearings seemed to be worn in my main pivot allowing it to move side to side. So I replaced them and first ride no issues it felt fine. But now two or three rides later the same play and sloppiness is back I pulled the linkage apart to find gay the two brand new bearings are crunchy. Everything was torqued properly and the bike got washed with a bike spray no hose. If it makes any difference the first ride with new bearings I had a different shock on as well but I feel that it is not the issue. Any input on what might be causing this? Thanks.

Posted: Nov 3, 2019 at 11:00 Quote
Anything like this is usually muck getting into the bearing. Although most bearing used in bikes have seals they are not really designed for keeping high pressure filth out. Even a hose can wash grit in. Are your trails fine dust/clay type mud or grit. If the former then it can get in more easily and has caked the grease up.

You could try the following:
Gently prise the seal out of one side
Wash out with whit spirit, paraffin or brake cleaner.
Check it is smooth
Force grease into race bed with your finger
Replace the seal.

Alternatively if you replace them, then you could try soaking them in warmed grease that has gone liquid without removing the seals.

Posted: Nov 3, 2019 at 11:03 Quote
Thansk for the help. I have tried the seal removal and repacking with new grease so I will see if it helps.

Posted: Nov 3, 2019 at 12:11 Quote
Could it be you are missing a spacer or washer somewhere? If the alignment of the linkage parts is slightly off you could use a thin washer to remove the play. Also make sure you use 'full complement' type bearings. This type of bearing is generally used for linkages.

Posted: Nov 4, 2019 at 5:43 Quote
Well I found out the cause of all the sloppiness to be a damage bearing seat on the drive side rocker link. I went to hammer the bearing out and as soon as I pressed on it with my hand it fell right out of place. The new bearing was just as loose a fit so it wasn’t just a bad bearing. Thankfully devinci has got a fantastic lifetime warranty so a new rocker link will be coming my way this week.

Posted: Jun 5, 2021 at 18:55 Quote
dhmonster17 wrote:
Well I found out the cause of all the sloppiness to be a damage bearing seat on the drive side rocker link. I went to hammer the bearing out and as soon as I pressed on it with my hand it fell right out of place. The new bearing was just as loose a fit so it wasn’t just a bad bearing. Thankfully devinci has got a fantastic lifetime warranty so a new rocker link will be coming my way this week.

Did you go through a shop or contact Devinci direct?

Posted: Jul 25, 2021 at 11:00 Quote
Was done through a shop

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005165
Mobile Version of Website