Kona Process 153 134 111 Gen 1 home made frame guard Kydex

PB Forum :: Kona
Kona Process 153 134 111 Gen 1 home made frame guard Kydex
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 5, 2019 at 13:04 Quote
Thought I'd toss this over here from another forum since there are still no frame guards for the old Process bikes for sale yet at a sane price. Most of this is cut and pasted. **If you often get big rocks bashing your down tube might be a good idea to switch to nylon nuts as well, that way in a big rock strike the bolt will give rather than dent the frame from hitting the bolt.

What you need:
Oven
6X12 (or larger) kydex .093 thermoforming sheet
punch to mark screw holes
Thick leather gloves or oven mits.

After watching a friend dent the down tube on his Process 167 I figured it was time for some rock protection. Couldn't find a guard for sale so I made one out of Kydex (.093 thermoforming to be exact)

I bought a bunch of material 2 6X12" sheets of thermoforming & 3 sheets of 6X12 Vaccuum forming (not 100% vaccuum forming is the right stuff).

I've only used 1 sheet of thermoforming to make 2 guards. One for my Process 153 and another for a friend.

Used a piece of thick paper to get the general shape & then used that as a pattern to draw & cut out the kydex with a box cutter. Had to cut 3x & gently bend it out.

Set the oven to 325* and set the sheet on a cookie sheet for 3 min. Used 2 sets of gloved hands to form it. Gotta be quick. Used a punch to press in the bolt holes... & then drilled them out.

All in all it worked got 2 guards for essentially $2.75 ea. Could probably use thinner material as this stuff is really quite thick. When I get out the grinder wheel next I'll shape up the corners.

Posted: Nov 8, 2019 at 10:34 Quote
What would you charge to make one for my 2016 153? Blue please. Smile

If you could make one that went just past the logo that would be even more rad.

Hell, I would buy 2 or 3 if the price was right, especially if you could paint them or do vinyl graphics.

Posted: Nov 8, 2019 at 11:21 Quote
Farmerjosh wrote:
What would you charge to make one for my 2016 153? Blue please. Smile

If you could make one that went just past the logo that would be even more rad.

Hell, I would buy 2 or 3 if the price was right, especially if you could paint them or do vinyl graphics.

Dude it's so simple you can do it yourself.

As long as it's thermoforming kydex between .080-.093 gauge you'll be set. There are a ton of color & patterns out there,

Such as https://www.ebay.com/itm/Unicorn-Kydex-Holster-Sheet-Approx-11-7-8-x-11-7-8-Light-Blue-Background/254399354374?hash=item3b3b621606:g:1sEAAOSw4wZdsivw

I bought my stuff off of ebay. If it doesn't say thermoforming you'll just want to confirm that it actually is. Haven't tried the vacuum forming stuff yet.

Posted: Nov 8, 2019 at 11:33 Quote
My DIY projects always go to hell, and never turn out the way I want, so I don't waste my time anymore.

I'd be willing to kick you $25 for 2 of them. Let me know.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009274
Mobile Version of Website