Geometry for Alpin Trail

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 15:18 Quote
Hello,
I write from the Italian Dolomites. I write this post because I need your help I want to assemble a new mtb, starting from the frame, and here comes the problem .. I don't understand anything about geometry so i need your help .. I know more or less what it is better but I have no idea of ​​the range of measures to be on ..
So let's start with this info..:
I do long Alpine trail tours, so very varied trail but I am interested in a bike good for the slow technical on narrow and winding paths (good for nose press etc.)

these are the bases to start
Full
Wheels 29 (I have them now and I feel good)
Fork 130 or 140

And now it's your turn ..

Top tube from ? to ?

Head tube angle from ? to ?

Chainstay from ? to ?

BB eight from ? to ?

Seat tube angle from ? to ?

I've forgot something?

I'm here to listen to your tips..

Thanks you and sorry for my English

Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 16:53 Quote
How tall are you?

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 8:53 Quote
someone else who can help me?

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 18:20 Quote
I will try.

Your probably looking at a small frame.

seems like you know you want a trail/all mountain type bike.

Look around at all the brands. The important geo to look at is Reach, HTA (head tube angle), STA (seat tube angle), Chainstay length.

Most new bikes from trusted brands will be similar and good. Geometry seems pretty sorted these days. What you really want to pay attention to is the characteristics of the bike. Read reviews and get demos but some bikes will be plush and not pedal well and others will pedal well but not be to plush and some are inbetween.

Component spec and pricing are very important too.

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 at 23:30 Quote
Hi, I am 176cm and 80kg and ride the AL Comp Capra 27.5 in Large in exactly the type of terrain you describe in Switzerland and it works very well. I am particulary impressed with the Lyrik RC2 for Nose Press turns because it doesn't dive too much and holds well in the mid stroke. I also reduced my bars from 800 to 760 which made a nice positive difference in handling.
Watch for pedal height. I have 170mm cranks and the F20 Hope Flats (which ok, but not super thin) and on the Capra very very rarely hit a pedal, but I know folks who have had problems. Reg. drivetrain; I had 32T with a 10-46 cassette and on steeper roads was pretty much at the limit for longer climbs. Now I have a 30T which is way better, but on a 29er, perhaps a 50T sprocket would be a nice touch.

Posted: Nov 16, 2019 at 13:10 Quote
Poser69 wrote:
Hello,
I write from the Italian Dolomites. I write this post because I need your help I want to assemble a new mtb, starting from the frame, and here comes the problem .. I don't understand anything about geometry so i need your help .. I know more or less what it is better but I have no idea of ​​the range of measures to be on ..
So let's start with this info..:
I do long Alpine trail tours, so very varied trail but I am interested in a bike good for the slow technical on narrow and winding paths (good for nose press etc.)

these are the bases to start
Full
Wheels 29 (I have them now and I feel good)
Fork 130 or 140

And now it's your turn ..

Top tube from ? to ?

Head tube angle from ? to ?

Chainstay from ? to ?

BB eight from ? to ?

Seat tube angle from ? to ?

I've forgot something?

I'm here to listen to your tips..

Thanks you and sorry for my English

My advice would be go and demo some bikes, see which one fits you best, you can try different sizes. Then buy that bike, they usually come in different equipment specifiaction, so you can choose accordind to your budget.

You will pay way more money when custom building for the same equipment, there are TONS of very well equiped bikes out there, no need to throw away money for custom build....

Posted: Nov 22, 2019 at 2:53 Quote
thank you all,

for the demo it is not easy for me, because I live in a small town and there are few shops and far, and I don't have the time to go around so much, and then winter is arrived (the first snow has already fallen).
I'm looking at some frames and geometries and I saw one that seems interesting to me, as wheels provide the 27.5 plus and the fact of having more grip I find it interesting ..

Now..

I am 169 cm (5'6 ") tall and inseam (?) 78cm (2'6)
do you think these are good?
reach 426 mm (1'4 ")
606 mm stack (1'1 ")

Thanks again and sorry for my english

Posted: Nov 22, 2019 at 4:45 Quote
Poser69 wrote:
thank you all,

for the demo it is not easy for me, because I live in a small town and there are few shops and far, and I don't have the time to go around so much, and then winter is arrived (the first snow has already fallen).
I'm looking at some frames and geometries and I saw one that seems interesting to me, as wheels provide the 27.5 plus and the fact of having more grip I find it interesting ..

Now..

I am 169 cm (5'6 ") tall and inseam (?) 78cm (2'6)
do you think these are good?
reach 426 mm (1'4 ")
606 mm stack (1'1 ")

Thanks again and sorry for my english
Look at latest PB test for midtravel 29ers, sizing go for manufacturer website, without demo nobody can tell you if recomended size/reach will be OK to you, especially if you are between sizes. Maybe compare to current bike reach to get a feeling.
If its snowing already, then you have all the winter time to go and demo some sizes/models... :-D

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008896
Mobile Version of Website