Dropper post recommendation

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Dropper post recommendation
Previous Page |
Posted: Nov 10, 2019 at 19:50 Quote
I've noticed the dropper post market ranges widely in price and the reviews seem to be mixed

Posted: Nov 10, 2019 at 21:01 Quote
Well, luckily they're all getting pretty good. Spend $175, get a 2-year post. Spend $450, get a 7 year post (with a bit of maintenance)

Posted: Nov 10, 2019 at 22:57 Quote
Brand x. Less than 100 gbp at the minute. Reliable, good lever. I’m on my second. First came on the bike, 120mm drop but garbage lever. Lasted 2 years of abuse and no servicing till it developed side to side wobble and paint coming off the stanction. Took the opportunity to swap to a 150mm with the new, better lever. 6 months in no problems.

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 3:45 Quote
Based on personal experience of Rockshox, avoid them. They may replace them when they inevitably fail but they should not be failing in the first place.
At the top end a Fox transfer and for budget the BrandX appears pretty good. I have the Fox for a few years now & my son has the BrandX. It has lasted a year of teenage abuse without complaint.

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 6:49 Quote
Only owned 2 brands: KS lev and Fox transfer.

Ks was ok reliability wise but required the damper bleeding more than I'd have liked. ( easy job though) andcspares were ridiculously cheap.

Fox transfer, I've owned for 2 years and its faultless and never required any attention. But not end user serviceable... at present.

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 8:01 Quote
brand-x, great dropper, almost 2 years in no issues lever absolutly sucks tho

Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 7:28 Quote
A good KS lev can be one of the smoothest operating posts out there, probably some lemons to be had though.

Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 8:50 Quote
rod112 wrote:
I've noticed the dropper post market ranges widely in price and the reviews seem to be mixed

Got a OneUp post last year and have been really happy with it. No performance issues at all with it and you get a longer dropper with this post because it has a shorter insertion length.

Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 8:57 Quote
Maverick-dm wrote:
Only owned 2 brands: KS lev and Fox transfer.

Ks was ok reliability wise but required the damper bleeding more than I'd have liked. ( easy job though) andcspares were ridiculously cheap.

Fox transfer, I've owned for 2 years and its faultless and never required any attention. But not end user serviceable... at present.

Those are the same two that I've owned and my experiences are the same. For me, the KS having a noisy saddle clamp and the seal ring that always comes loose are big annoyances compared to the Transfer, which has so far required zero maintenance and works flawlessly.

I'm planning on getting another Transfer to replace the KS I have.

Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 9:11 Quote
Agree with everything above. My RS droppers have always needed to be serviced every year or two. The hydraulic trigger is a pain as every so often the line gets ripped out in a crash and there is no way to fix it trailside.
I have been using fox transfer on two of my bikes for the last year and they work like new. No play developing etc. I will not be purchasing RS again.
BikeYoke has been well reviewed in the past. The revive apparently goes years without any need for service.

Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 9:18 Quote
Oh yea! The KS can be really noisy at the saddle connection, this can get really annoying, do not put one on your girlfriends bike, it will make her feel fat.

Posted: Nov 16, 2019 at 13:13 Quote
rod112 wrote:

Brand-X is just fine, or maybe Giant Contact. Transfer is good but way too expensive IMO. Stay away from RS.

Posted: Nov 16, 2019 at 15:28 Quote
skerby wrote:
Oh yea! The KS can be really noisy at the saddle connection, this can get really annoying, do not put one on your girlfriends bike, it will make her feel fat.

Lol... Spit a bit of beer on the screen on reading the last bit...
I agree, don't put one on your G/F bike and for sure don't put one on your wife's bike either.... Wink

I replaced my Reverb with a OneUp. Pretty good performance. Bit of side to side play. Not a bad lever but I broke the barrel adjuster on it. Lucky I had another in the tool box at home to replace. (easy)

I put a Brand X on the fat bike last fall. Think it was a 120mm and set me back a whopping $135 bucks on sale with an extra discount code. It too has a bit of side to side play. Use it in cold weather (snow bike) and other than the bit of play, it has been brilliant. The factory lever sucks though. Maybe the newer ones are a bit better?

I also put a Brand X on my son's bike. Bought the 2x lever locally for it, though (oneup). The photo on the website showed the 2x lever and when it arrived it had the 1x lever. It has worked flawlessly up to this point as well.

The Brand X, OneUp and PNW droppers all look suspiciously similar. Maybe that is form follows function but.....

Posted: Nov 16, 2019 at 16:06 Quote
onyxss wrote:
rod112 wrote:

Brand-X is just fine, or maybe Giant Contact. Transfer is good but way too expensive IMO. Stay away from RS.

Giant Contact is a good option, one came on my Trance and it's been great, although it only comes in 30.9mm diameter, so that limits it as an aftermarket upgrade. And if the dropper fails at all, it uses an easily replaceable cartridge that costs like $60 CAD

Posted: Nov 16, 2019 at 17:03 Quote
my Fox transfer post has been "set it and forget it" for the last 14 months and about 1800 off road miles. It gets used a minimum of 20+ times every ride I do.
Results so far - No play, no noise, and works perfect. hard to beat that.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010466
Mobile Version of Website