$500 for good condition Cannondale Prophet vs Save up and wait some more

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
$500 for good condition Cannondale Prophet vs Save up and wait some more
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 12:17 Quote
Hey PB, first post here. I'm about to turn 40 and haven't biked in over 2 decades. We got some good trails where I live and neighbor/friend keeps bugging me to go out. I am in ok shape and the challenge of biking the trails is appealing but with kids/work/wife/life don't see myself going out more than 2, maybe 3 times a month. I have been looking for a relatively lightweight bike with full suspension around $500-1000 and recently got the opportunity to get a Cannondale Prophet with a Lefty Max fork in front for a little over $500. Looks to be in great shape and seller claims it was serviced for $150.00. Probably just lubed the chains up and bled the brakes and probably not much more than that...

On the flip side, I have been seeing pretty good deals on bikes in the 1K range. The bikes I have been seeing in this range seem to be from 2010 onwards rather than from 90's and 00's. At this time, I don't want to spend the money but wondering if the prophet is so outdated and obsolete that I should just wait anyways.

Want the full suspension because the trails round these parts have a good amount of roots and rocks and I guess I am old now LOL.

I am sure a lot of people have fond memories of the prophet but input from the people who still have them/ride them would be much appreciated.

If I am totally off base in my thinking and should look for a hardtail, you can tell me that but then also let me know if I can get away with spending $100 on an old hardtail that is properly maintained.... will be asking the same question on mtbforum as well. Thanks all.

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 12:27 Quote
You will go from issue to issue with such an old full-sus. Believe my (painful and expensive) experience. And the geo is outdated. Get a modern, well maintained and recent (less than 2-3 years max) hardtail with + tires (27.5+). This is the cheapest way to get a lot of fun, good pedaling efficiency and some confort at once.

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 16:05 Quote
Not sure where you are, but upping your budget to about a grand can put you in a late model entry level full susp. Idk why everyone says hardtail. I sold a nice 2016 Santa Cruz Superlight recently for $1100. Did not need a thing other than a rider. Just have to be patient.

If you can only afford $500, then get the best $500 bike you can find. Expect to spend some on it though. You can end up spending more on a $500 or a $1000 bike and just because it costs more doesn't mean you will spend less to fix or maintain it. You have to start somewhere and where you end up may be a long way from where you start.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006377
Mobile Version of Website