what factors make downhill bikes so hard to climb?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 13:53 Quote

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 15:04 Quote
Darianghodsi wrote:

HTA STA weight, gearing

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 15:34 Quote
does that also include the pedal bob of the fork and rear shock?

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 16:00 Quote
Darianghodsi wrote:

yeah

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 5:26 Quote
traditional DH bikes made for racing have big chain ring up front for speed.. doesn't make it too good for climbing ... not to mention the suspension sag

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 8:18 Quote
yea, suspension is also tuned differently for different categories of bikes

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 10:09 Quote
softer suspension, heavy frame, bombproof wheels, slack HTA and STA, low gearing. All things you can change in a way, im sure someone has thrown a 12 speed on a dh bike, but even then, the HTA and STA would still make it bad for climbing

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 10:37 Quote
Darianghodsi wrote:

Not necessarily. Many downhill bikes have similar kinematics to trail bikes.

I spent a couple months riding XC on my DH bike when my trail bike was waiting on parts. Learned some interesting things!

The main factors are rolling resistance and ergonomics, assuming you mount a trail cassette for adequate gearing.

DH tires roll much more slowly than trail tires, due to the stiffer casing and slow-rebound rubber. If you're using thick DH tubes, those add almost as much additional resistance as the total resistance of a fast trail tire. I swapped to trail tires and 90g tubes (before tubeless was popular) and the bike instantly rolled as efficiently as my trail bike.

Unfortunately, I couldn't pedal it as efficiently as the trail bike because my hips were too far rearward. The ergonomics were awful and I just couldn't generate much power - not to mention the discomfort in my back and "saddle region".

The added weight and squish of the bike were minor factors.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012219
Mobile Version of Website