29r and short people

PB Forum :: 29ers
29r and short people
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 16:15 Quote
I am a 5'4" women and have a specialized stump jumper with 29" tires. I have had it for a year but this year I started doing some bigger drops and find that it sometimes hits me in the butt. It is a little un-nerving. Do you think I am too short for this bike or should I set shocks/ rebound differently. Thanks.

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 17:26 Quote
The tire+bum thing isn't something you can tune out of the shock.

At your height, it's going to happen when doing certain moves. It never bothered me too much when I had a 29er, but it's obviously not ideal. It's just something to factor in when choosing your next bike.

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 20:26 Quote
cb-2 wrote:
I am a 5'4" women and have a specialized stump jumper with 29" tires. I have had it for a year but this year I started doing some bigger drops and find that it sometimes hits me in the butt. It is a little un-nerving. Do you think I am too short for this bike or should I set shocks/ rebound differently. Thanks.

maybe try a mullet set up and put a 27.5 rear wheel on the back, maybe could help

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 at 17:24 Quote
One of the inherit downsides of 29 I'm afraid. I'm 5'10" and butt buzz on technical descents too. From what I've heard 6'2" or so and above and it's no longer a problem.

For bigger days I just grab my 27.5 160mm Reign for the added confidence.

Maybe grab a second bike? A used 27.5 Enduro?

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 10:47 Quote
I can get used to the butt buzz but one day last weekend, I went over a drop and the bike jumped up and hit me so hard than it thru my weight forward and I wiped out. Now...I am pretty new at this, so it likely could have been very bad technique as well. Oh the joys of learning.

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 16:59 Quote
Loic Bruni had the same problem when he was on 29. Search up pics of the black tire marks all over his butt. Big Grin

Lots of positives for 29, butt buzz is one of the trade-offs.

Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 19:24 Quote
50percentsure wrote:
One of the inherit downsides of 29 I'm afraid. I'm 5'10" and butt buzz on technical descents too. From what I've heard 6'2" or so and above and it's no longer a problem.

For bigger days I just grab my 27.5 160mm Reign for the added confidence.

Maybe grab a second bike? A used 27.5 Enduro?
Iā€™m 6ā€™4ā€ and still get buzzed on the steepest steeps. Better than going OTB!

Posted: 10 hours ago Quote
Get coaching.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009144
Mobile Version of Website