Best Do it all Bike

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Best Do it all Bike
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 20:19 Quote
Hey. I am looking at getting a bike and getting out of cross country racing(I have a Highball). I want a bike that will be great for climbing and want to have it be great on downhill and possibly something for the park. I want something that would be full suspension of course and want something that will be playful. My goal in the end is to have a bike to build off into something amazing. I am looking at the new Tall boy, the 5010, and the Hightower. Thanks!

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 20:28 Quote
bfed wrote:
Hey. I am looking at getting a bike and getting out of cross country racing(I have a Highball). I want a bike that will be great for climbing and want to have it be great on downhill and possibly something for the park. I want something that would be full suspension of course and want something that will be playful. My goal in the end is to have a bike to build off into something amazing. I am looking at the new Tall boy, the 5010, and the Hightower. Thanks!

https://www.vitalmtb.com/forums/The-Hub,2/Semi-Dumb-Question-Most-fun-XC-race-bike,10645

Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 0:20 Quote
I think a tallboy may be overwhelmed in a park. I rode one shortly and while it felt great, it isn’t something that would love chunky stuff. For overall I would look to the hightower or even a bronson.

Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 6:20 Quote
Austink wrote:
I think a tallboy may be overwhelmed in a park. I rode one shortly and while it felt great, it isn’t something that would love chunky stuff. For overall I would look to the hightower or even a bronson.

Okay, I like that Idea. Thanks for sharing with me.

Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 8:48 Quote
bfed wrote:

A great bike for what you are describing is the Kona Process 153 Carbon. I demoed a 2019 model 4 months ago and bought it the next day. Have ridden it for 4 months and it is a fantastic bike for what you are looking for. I am a former racer so have ridden a lot of enduro type bikes and this one has just blown me away. It is one of the bikes that is under the bike hype radar but it is shocking how well it performs.

Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 17:49 Quote
I came from a 18 Tallboy to a Hightower LT. I just sold a Hightower I recently bought. Just seemed too much a "tweener". I think if I had bought it prior to the LT, i would have been just fine riding it. The LT is just too much fun! The LT has allowed me to step up my approach to the trails I ride. I don't do big jumps like you find at parks, but ride a decent amount of root and rocks in the eastern foothills. I have been pleased with how it climbs too, moreso once I upgraded to the DPX2 shock. Suddenly, 150mm doesn't seem like that much travel. LOL

I would say the new Hightower would be a great do it all bike.

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 at 6:27 Quote
I am 6'0 and have been searching for a quiver killer for the past 3 years and bought and sold a lot of bikes because I have found things they werent good at. I started with a-

-GT Verb 2016 - Climbed great but was loud and less than desirable quality (loud, clunky, creaky after on a few rides) Plus I kept going OTB.

- YT Jeffsy 29 2018 - possibly one of the most uncomfortable rear suspensions over chatter, cramped reach, awful dropper and clunky drivetrain, pressfit bb yuck.

-Stumpjumper LT alloy 29 2019 - didn't learn my lesson from the cramped reach because this one felt worse, blew through the travel in the rear and the bike weighed 34lbs in alloy, awful hubs and heavy wheels. meh

-Transition Patrol Carbon 2017 - Fantastic bike for experienced riders but a size large wheelbase was very small and I didnt feel comfortable going fast downhill and over jumps. Giddy up suspension was amazing and the bike was 29.8 lbs

After learning that my riding style needed a long bike and short stem I settled on an XL Hightower v2 C with 35mm stem. I did not know bikes could feel this supple over chatter. It climbs VERY good. I am only 180lbs so that may by why I didnt feel much bob and descends better than the large Trek Session I rode at Trestle Bike Park earlier this year. I got a killer deal on a demo at my LBS and threw some carbon wheels on it. Still have the warranty on the bike and its whisper quiet and playful with the short stem. YMMV but I would give the HTV2 a shot.

31.8 LBS in size XL. (with carbon wheels)

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007300
Mobile Version of Website