Need help on bike choice for northeast riding.

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Need help on bike choice for northeast riding.
| Next Page
Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 12:44 Quote
I have a 2019 Remedy 9.8 that I'm getting ready to post up this winter. Could hustle along and get it posted if you want to take a look at it, its a large. My favorite bike I've owned, riding in this area. Climbs better on the tight stuff than the Slash's I've ridden, and feels up to the task places like MCBP.

Mostly stock 9.8 build with new tires, brake pads, and a suspension overhaul at the end of August. Have stuff like extra chainrings/chains/tires to throw in as well. NYC area, could ship or meet locally.

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 14:51 Quote
I wouldn't be too concerned about weight. My Patrol is 36 lbs and climbs like a goat. Remember, you aren't carrying your bike, you are riding it.

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 15:29 Quote
fourfourone wrote:
many of the places I ride require some long climbs. Should I really be concerned about weight?

I did a 75 km, 2900m ride on my pig of a Megatower earlier this year, several similar rides on my old 36 lb Remedy. Good geometry, suspension kinematics and setup come more into play for climbing than weight. Not saying it doesn't mean anything...but a few extra pounds are worth it for having fun going back down IMO.

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 19:46 Quote
fourfourone wrote:
What's up guys. Haven't posted in over 10 years but I have recently gotten back into mountain biking after focusing on motocross for many years. The past 6 months I have been riding a heavily upgraded trek roscoe. I really like the bike but its time to move back to a full suspension bike. Due to a few back injuries from moto, the harshness of the hardtail is killing my back after a long day. I live and ride in the northeast so most trails involve climbing with rough, rocky and technical descents. I would like a bike that is stable going down hill with minimal harshness. This leads me to go with a 29er but open to 27.5. Hopping to be able to hit some drop and jumps as well. My budget would be around 3k give or take. Not oppose to buying used. Being a motocross rider I would think big and stable would be what I would like. Here are some of the bikes I have been interested in.

Trek slash
Trek remedy
Santa Cruz Hightower(the new 2020 model)
Santa Cruz Bronson
Kona Process 153
YT Jeffsey

Santa Cruz Hightower would be the one bike quiver for me out of those choices. It would pedal almost as well as an XC bike but be capable of anything you throw at it. Although the hightower is 29er, it will be able to handle 5-6 foot drops well and the bigger wheels will allow you to stay seated while climbing super gnarly terrain.

Posted: Nov 16, 2019 at 17:53 Quote
The bikes you are looking at peddle well. If you are racing up hill a lighter bike will be faster. But with 50t cassettes and most bikes can take a 28t or 30t chain ring. You're going to be fine if you don't want to spend a lot to get lighter.

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 7:01 Quote
I'm in the Northeast and vaguely considering a new bike. I'm on a Bronson V1 (with 1 degree headset and DVO Topaz) now.

My list to try:
Santa Cruz Tallboy (for unknown reasons I've just never felt inspired by the Hightower)
Norco Optic
Ibis Ripley
Ibis Ripmo
Orbea Occam

My everyday riding is often rpcky and technical up and down, but it's not super fast and it's often in pretty tight quarters. I think a shorter travel (Tallboy/Optic/Ripley) or less agressive geometried bike (Ripmo, Occam) would be my pick over some of the bikes that are slacker, longer, and with more suspension. Not because I couldn't cliimb as fast or as well on the big bikes, but just because they need more speed before they feel fun and poppy and not all of my trails are ideal for that.

That being said, if I get a chance to demo, I'll likely try the Sight, Hightower, Bronson, and Ripmo AF if I get to a Norco/Santa Cruz/Ibis demo next year and see how I feel.

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 4:47 Quote
Went to my local santa cruz dealer and rode a megatower c carbon($5400). Thing was amazing. They had a small loop with a few rock gardens. It was like riding a pillow that can pedal.

They have a large hightower D aluminum but needed to be built. Fits more into my budget $2899. Component are super low end but I'm curious how it will ride compared to the hightower.

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 8:48 Quote
fourfourone wrote:
Went to my local santa cruz dealer and rode a megatower c carbon($5400). Thing was amazing. They had a small loop with a few rock gardens. It was like riding a pillow that can pedal.

They have a large hightower D aluminum but needed to be built. Fits more into my budget $2899. Component are super low end but I'm curious how it will ride compared to the hightower.

Will you make use of the megatower in the northeast? Seems like a lot of bike for how I remember the trails but that was 20 years ago. My wife has a megatower and I have demoed that bike. It pedals as well as bikes with far less travel but the added squish and wheelbase makes it cumbersome for technical sidetrack climbs. I would go for something with modern geo but less travel like a Hightower or Norco optic or process 134 personally.

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 9:22 Quote
rahrider wrote:
fourfourone wrote:

Will you make use of the megatower in the northeast? Seems like a lot of bike for how I remember the trails but that was 20 years ago. My wife has a megatower and I have demoed that bike. It pedals as well as bikes with far less travel but the added squish and wheelbase makes it cumbersome for technical sidetrack climbs. I would go for something with modern geo but less travel like a Hightower or Norco optic or process 134 personally.

I was mostly riding it to test the VPP suspension. I know the mega and hightower are close in nature.
I want to stick around a 150/150 bike.

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 11:40 Quote
I think you should also consider either the Canyon Neuron or Canyon or Strive depending on how gnarly your trails are.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010670
Mobile Version of Website