New addition to the stable: 1999 Specialized FSR Team Downhill S Works Shaun Palmer Edition

PB Forum :: Downhill
New addition to the stable: 1999 Specialized FSR Team Downhill S Works Shaun Palmer Edition
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 13, 2019 at 19:25 Quote

Last month I was browsing the local Facebook ads and my eye caught something special. At first I thought, no this couldn't be. It can't be. Then to verify what I thought I was really looking at, I did some searching and sure enough...Eek Eek Eek

A Shaun Palmer S Works FSR... Troy Lee paint!??

For $1200

I thought, well, I'm probably too late... yes, the ad is still up but it's gotta be one of those cases where the seller left the ad up and it's sold, but I had to be sure. I messaged the seller and got a response of "are you legit." ..... me, "yes, when can I come to get it!" Him "do you know what this bike is?" Me, "yes, Shaun Palmer!" lol. Quickly realized at this point this was going to take some convincing on my part to buy this bike but that's okay, it means the seller cares and wants it to go to the right hands. Cool! I go on to tell him how excited I am to have found it and can't believe I have an opportunity to buy such a piece, it will be in very good and well kept hands. I know what it is and can't believe it. Said he's had a lot of interest, spam, etc. It then turned into a bidding war, said he had someone on the east coast that was offering $1500. I offer $1650 and am local. They wanted to end the bidding war saying it wasn't fair to anyone and somewhat surprisingly offered it to me for $1800. After I learned of the other interest and the price going up, I was almost certain at this point it was going to get away unless I wanted to make some huge offer well over their asking price. Is it more than some folks would pay, probably some, sure, others like myself, no, where are you going to find another... and it's just too cool and beautiful. It's a one in a lifetime opportunity the way I looked at it and believe it will hold its value but I didn't have the intention of buying it as an investment piece anyway.

The history of this bike is what really intrigued me in the beginning so I tried to pick the brain of the seller as much as I could. To start off, his family is very involved in DH racing, said he even raced with Palmer himself once and that his (the seller's) son raced for the U.S. team apparently. It was ten years ago he explained that he found the frame for sale in CA from a person who didn't know what they had. He unfortunately does not know the history behind how the seller before him got it but he purchased it just as a frame. Said it was absolutely beautiful, had never been put together before. He built it, raced it, and sounds like his son did too at times. It does have small scratches and some nicks here and there, there's no doubt they rode it but it is in good condition, very clean, and been maintained as they described. Happy that it has some nice parts on it too. Beyond that, he did not have much to add other than he's selling his bike collection to focus more on his dirt bike hobby. He had some other cool FSR race frames from the same era but not this exact one.

Anyway, absolutely beyond stoked to have this bike. When I was traveling to pick it up the whole way there I couldn't help but wonder if this was in fact real. It remains inside my house (where it belongs) as a display piece so I can see and appreciate it everyday. Thought some of you might like to see it. When I was buying it, I was surprised by the weight it and expected it to feel well over 40lbs. Got home, through it on the scale and found that it is 38lbs and change.

[P=[img]https://i.imgur.com/ceQkupF.jpg[/img] size=m align=c][/P]
[P=[img]https://i.imgur.com/1dnCTa0.jpg[/img] size=m align=c][/P]

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 2:26 Quote
Nice, I’m hoping a cheap one will come up near me one day. Rode a friends Palmer edition FSR with the flame graphics 20 years ago, could definitely tell it was a proper downhill bike compared to my Ground Control FSR I had.

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 15:10 Quote
DH1977 wrote:
Nice, I’m hoping a cheap one will come up near me one day. Rode a friends Palmer edition FSR with the flame graphics 20 years ago, could definitely tell it was a proper downhill bike compared to my Ground Control FSR I had.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. I hope one surfaces for you too! That's cool you rode one that even had those graphics. Was your friend a racer or how did they acquire the bike originally? Any idea how many were made? I've done as much research on these frames as I can on what's currently out there and found a couple of estimates but nothing concrete. Any other history or potential info you can provide on these is welcome. There's not a lot out there.

Thanks again.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007282
Mobile Version of Website