Spending money on an old frame

PB Forum :: 29ers
Spending money on an old frame
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 13, 2019 at 23:32 Quote
I have a 2010 Gary Fisher Hifi Deluxe in very good condition - but the components are outdated. I am uncertain if spending money to get this frame rideable is worth while and could use people's thoughts. So the options are:

1. Save and get a new bike
2. At a bare minimum I am going to need to spend around £560 to replace the brake system, get new tyres, replace the handlebars and stem, get new pedals, service the shocks etc
3. Replace the entire groupset with slx, plus the other bits mentioned in point 2 - cost around £900.

Now the bike frame is in very good condition but it is outdated - only has 110mm front shock, no capacity for internal wiring if I want to get a dropper, and has old geometry.

My gut is telling me to save my money and get a new bike next year, but I would be very grateful for some other opinions.

Regards,
Luke

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 1:11 Quote
If..it were me, I would save for a new, or even a good used bike, depending on what type of bike your looking for travel wise.

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 14:51 Quote
Same here. To me, the most important parts, susp, will be hard to replace. No straight tube options anymore for forks. Unfortunately, technology has left the older bikes behind.

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 15:15 Quote
Look for a newer second hand bike, there are some excellent deals to be had. Just do your due diligence so you don't get ripped off.

One of the advantages or using eBay or paying with PayPal as a purchase is the buyer protection you get. Some smaller bike shops will also have second hand bikes that they have taken in part exchange. You may pay a little more but it will still be way cheaper than brand new.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007826
Mobile Version of Website