Spraying fork lowers and crown in winter?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Spraying fork lowers and crown in winter?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 15:38 Quote
Ok, so it's not quite winter in the UK yet. But it is cold. And rainy.

I just picked up a set of fox 36 floats for my dirt jumper. I've lowered them down to 100mm and pealed the stickers off.

They're white in colour and I'd like them black and was maybe thinking about doing a little paint splatter on them with paint pens to match my colour scheme.

Will I be okay to spray in my garage? It's not a special garage with heating or even light, just an empty space where it doesn't rain. Does anyone have any advice?

Ideally, I'd take them to a spray shop. But I don't trust them with covereng up the stanchions and seals and caps etc properly.

James.

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 16:29 Quote
Ideally, to spray paint, the temp should be at least 73 degree F..This is so the paint will Flow, and not blush (meaning the color will tend to sorta fade). If you have a space heater and an outlet in the garage, you could try and heat the area to get as close as possible to 73...Otherwise, I would wait until it warms up..

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 1:36 Quote
Hammer48 wrote:
Ideally, to spray paint, the temp should be at least 73 degree F..This is so the paint will Flow, and not blush (meaning the color will tend to sorta fade). If you have a space heater and an outlet in the garage, you could try and heat the area to get as close as possible to 73...Otherwise, I would wait until it warms up..

Thanks for the advice mate. so that's about 22 degrees celsius... guess i'm not painting them this weekend then haha!

All i can think of doing is getting an electric heater up there, it's not a very well sealed garage so will probably have to leave it on and then move them into the house for drying!

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 14:29 Quote
Jamestyrrell wrote:
Hammer48 wrote:

Thanks for the advice mate. so that's about 22 degrees celsius... guess i'm not painting them this weekend then haha!

All i can think of doing is getting an electric heater up there, it's not a very well sealed garage so will probably have to leave it on and then move them into the house for drying!

Are you gong to use a spray can ( rattle can) or a spray gun..? If you use a spray can, warm up some water in a pan and put the paint can in it for awhile so the can feels warm to the touch, this will help the paint flow better, spray, then move into a warm room asap. If your using a gun, at least warm the can of paint up before you pour it to the gun..

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 15:15 Quote
Hammer48 wrote:
Jamestyrrell wrote:
Hammer48 wrote:

Are you gong to use a spray can ( rattle can) or a spray gun..? If you use a spray can, warm up some water in a pan and put the paint can in it for awhile so the can feels warm to the touch, this will help the paint flow better, spray, then move into a warm room asap. If your using a gun, at least warm the can of paint up before you pour it to the gun..

Yes mate straight from the can. Sod it, I'm gonna do it. Tape up and sand down tomorrow and then spray them Sunday! Nice one!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008722
Mobile Version of Website