Megatower or Reign for Enduro

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Megatower or Reign for Enduro
Previous Page |
Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 16:52 Quote
I’m looking for a solid enduro bike but can’t decide what i want, Megatower is my dream bike but so expensive so the reign is in my price range, just wondering if it’s worth getting or saving longer for a megatower

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 18:46 Quote
I would stretch my budget to get my dream bike. It will motivate you way more to go out and ride, also take better care of it. That's what I would do

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 19:16 Quote
Have you ridden a megatower?

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 19:27 Quote
Mntneer wrote:
Have you ridden a megatower?

Yes got to demo one earlier this year and i loved it, but i also rode a reign and it felt pretty good too

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 13:06 Quote
I demo'd a Megatower... was a great bike, but definately didn't think it was worth the price tag. Lots of other bikes I'd take first with upgraded suspension vs a Mega with lower end suspension (if you're trying to stay within a budget).

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 13:38 Quote
The new Reign 29 is a significant improvement over the Reign 27.5. Excellent bike and much less expensive. Use the money you save to:

• Go on awesome trips
• Always have a fresh front tire
• Buy new bikes more often and avoid riding a clapped-out dinosaur

Posted: Nov 16, 2019 at 9:32 Quote
Haven't ridden the reign. The megatower is an amazing bike imo. It doesn't feel as big as it is and I wouldn't mind riding it all day. Pedalling is amazing. My wife has been riding santacruz for 20 years and has never had a single problem with any of her frames. They even give you free bearings every year. solid quality product that you can ride for years.

I have never heard that said about any giant.

My 2 cents

Posted: Nov 16, 2019 at 12:54 Quote
Ben-Hoppe wrote:
I’m looking for a solid enduro bike but can’t decide what i want, Megatower is my dream bike but so expensive so the reign is in my price range, just wondering if it’s worth getting or saving longer for a megatower

Nah, Reign will do just fine, Megatower is not worth price difference IMO, extra money you will save will be much better spent on some upgrades, MTB trips to Whistler or other dream destination Big Grin

Posted: Nov 16, 2019 at 18:01 Quote
rahrider wrote:
Haven't ridden the reign. The megatower is an amazing bike imo. It doesn't feel as big as it is and I wouldn't mind riding it all day. Pedalling is amazing. My wife has been riding santacruz for 20 years and has never had a single problem with any of her frames. They even give you free bearings every year. solid quality product that you can ride for years.

My 2 cents

I’d never pay an extra $2k for free bearings. A full kit for a reign is like $80. Had a few giants, they were great. would never pay the premium for the Santa Cruz name.

Posted: Nov 16, 2019 at 19:03 Quote
Save for the dream! A dream bike is one of those dreams you can actually pull off

Posted: Nov 16, 2019 at 19:49 Quote
sitkadog wrote:
rahrider wrote:

My 2 cents

I’d never pay an extra $2k for free bearings. A full kit for a reign is like $80. Had a few giants, they were great. would never pay the premium for the Santa Cruz name.

It's not about the free bearings. It's the fact that when you have a Santa Cruz, it will ride as well after four years of riding it hard as it did when you bought it. The free bearings are more a symbol of their premium quality and standing behind it. SC bikes are known to be quiet, smooth and durable - I have lots of experience with them and believe the hype; you may not. You can enjoy your giant, I will enjoy my overpriced bike and I'm ok with that. This guy has a dream bike and a giant to pick between. I know what it's like to pass on your dream bike. The one you get instead rides fine but it just doesn't make you happy like your dream bike would. I say make yourself happy.

I also happen to live in BC which means I ride everyday where others save up to go for a 2 week dream vacation. What I save on travel, I can spend on bikes.

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 2:39 Quote
rahrider wrote:
sitkadog wrote:
rahrider wrote:

My 2 cents

It's not about the free bearings. It's the fact that when you have a Santa Cruz, it will ride as well after four years of riding it hard as it did when you bought it. The free bearings are more a symbol of their premium quality and standing behind it. SC bikes are known to be quiet, smooth and durable - I have lots of experience with them and believe the hype; you may not. You can enjoy your giant, I will enjoy my overpriced bike and I'm ok with that. This guy has a dream bike and a giant to pick between. I know what it's like to pass on your dream bike. The one you get instead rides fine but it just doesn't make you happy like your dream bike would. I say make yourself happy.

I also happen to live in BC which means I ride everyday where others save up to go for a 2 week dream vacation. What I save on travel, I can spend on bikes.

Not everyone lives in BC, great way for saving money :-)
If you need to pay 2K$ extra to feel happy because there is Santa Cruz instead of Giant label on frame - so be it Big Grin .

Some of us rather use that money for something else like trips, upgrades, learning sessions etc...Also look at kids/teenagers on their crappy wallmart/big store bikes how happy they are when riding, modern capitalism is trying to convince us that we cannot enjoy these primal joy without latest SantaCruz carbon fiber 7K+ bikes Big Grin

In the end of the day - there are almost no bad bikes today, differences are very very small - between Reign and Megatower we are talking about A+ and A++ grade :-D, you can see any of them on EWS and other races. It depends on rider MUCH more. And dont forget that i.e. Shimano drivertrain is the same on any bike, also Fox fork, SRAM shock etc. Only difference is frame and geometry.
And label Big Grin

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 6:32 Quote
sitkadog wrote:
I’d never pay an extra $2k for free bearings.

The Megatower isn't $2k more than the Reign.

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 6:53 Quote
jeremy3220 wrote:
sitkadog wrote:

Reign 1 (full XT 1x12 etc..) is aprox 2700 EUR in EU, Megatower S-kit 5700 EUR (probably little less if good deal) with full GX. Just sayin Smile

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 13:31 Quote
onyxss wrote:
jeremy3220 wrote:
sitkadog wrote:

Reign 1 (full XT 1x12 etc..) is aprox 2700 EUR in EU, Megatower S-kit 5700 EUR (probably little less if good deal) with full GX. Just sayin Smile

On the German Giant site the aluminum Reign 1 is 3200 EUR. The Megatower doesn't come in aluminum. The carbon Reign 1 is 5000 EUR.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006994
Mobile Version of Website