Need feedback on Ibis Paint durability.

PB Forum :: Ibis
Need feedback on Ibis Paint durability.
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 16, 2019 at 16:46 Quote
I will be purchasing a new Ripmo in the next month or two and wanted to get some feedback onthe Paint durability on Ibis bikes. On all of the used bikes in the classifieds , i noticed all of them had multiple paint chips and the back of the seat tube on many of them were littered with chips.
I hear a lot of little rocks get caught in the rear link and scratch up the seat tube and linkage. Is it that or is the paint job just not good.
Also I have never owned a Matte Black bike. I have read up on Matte vs Gloss but im still on the fence. I really like the Matte black with the Green, but if the matte is going to chip and fade over time then im not interested. On the other hand I am OK with blue ( but hate the color Orange) I guess I can have decals made to cover up the orange if I go with the Gloss.

Either way I will be putting on an Invisiframe ( gloss or matte ) and so hopefully I can eliminate 90% of any little rock chips and dings. And I will double up the film protection in typical areas to futher prevent damage
I take very good care of my bikes and clean them after every ride, so it will be taken care of.

So Gloss or Matte?

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 7:33 Quote
I just purchased a Ripmo a few weeks back and I would say the paint quality is as good as anything out there. In the end, carbon painted bikes will suffer paint chips, paint just doesn’t stick to carbon as well as aluminum.
I invisiframed my blue/orange on day 1 and I have not seen a chip yet after 10-12 days of riding. The rear seat stay/chain stay bridge area is going to get trashed without protection. My bike actually came with a rubber sticker back there to help, but it’s just a tight area that collects rocks, no way around it. I actually had a rock get stuck back there so hard the rear wheel locked up momentarily, and occasionally find rocks hitchhiking back there after a ride. If you have heli tape or invisiframe it should protect it for the most part.

If you get the blue/orange (best looking color scheme imo) get a gloss invisiframe kit, if you get black/green get the matte 100%.

Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 10:18 Quote
Well I purchased the Blue Ripmo and spent 6 hours meticulously covering the entire frame with the Invisiframe and also filled in any "known" wear areas so every MM is covered. Turned out great.

Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 17:02 Quote
Three6ty wrote:
Well I purchased the Blue Ripmo and spent 6 hours meticulously covering the entire frame with the Invisiframe and also filled in any "known" wear areas so every MM is covered. Turned out great.

Awesome! I put as many miles on mine as I could the last couple weeks and the invisiframe still has her looking bran new. You will love it.

Did you get yours with the X2? If so, curious to know how many volume spacers you end up with as it seems the 1 it comes with stock is not enough for......anyone? I am running 3 and it feels pretty good, but can really see why a lot of folks run 4.

Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 18:28 Quote
Bran- I did get the X2. Im 225 lbs. Had 230psi and 1 vol spacer in on the initial ride and bottom it out a couple times. came home and put in a second spacer and upped the PSI to 235.
I have a pair of ShockWiz things coming to me right now. I rented them for a week so I can tune the suspension.
I will let you know how that goes.

Posted: Nov 27, 2019 at 15:41 Quote
Bran- So I made a couple of adjustments before I rode my Enduro type trials yesterday.
Added 2 volume spacers in the X2 and boy did that make a difference. Now feels more progressive and using roughly 95% of my travel. Kept the air pressure at 235psi. Felt great.
It felt by poppy and playful in the jumps, berms and rock gardens and felt very efficient on the climbs. We will see what the Shock Wiz tells me as I want to set it up for that type of riding and create another setting for riding more XC trails.

Posted: 22 hours ago Quote
OP: The seat tube area you mentioned is always at risk for rocks being flung into the bike. The Ripmo has a specific area of concern on the upper pivot which acts as a ledge to hold rocks and crush them when the linkage compresses. Ibis made a really handy little rubber protector which comes with a clear decal for your seat tube and prevents rocks from getting caught. Whichever color you get, reach out to Ibis for one of these. I think they are free.99.

Ibis Ripmo

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011793
Mobile Version of Website