Shimano 11sp chain ring with 12 sp group?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Shimano 11sp chain ring with 12 sp group?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 11:12 Quote
Does any one know if M8000 chain rings are compatible with the new 12 speed Shimano chain?

I have I-Spec EV brakes already with M8000 I-spec 2 shifters currently mounted so I’m thinking 12sp XT shifter & chain, 12sp SLX mech & cassette maybe all i need (I have DT350 hubs already and have a microspline driver in the post). Don’t really want to replace perfectly good M8000 XT cranks, if the 11 speed rings are no good, does anyone know of 12 speed compatible rings that fit M8000 cranks.

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 12:33 Quote
https://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-shifters-derailleurs-cranks/11s-vs-12s-chain-width-compatibility-1088205.html

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 13:19 Quote
Mountainfrog wrote:
https://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-shifters-derailleurs-cranks/11s-vs-12s-chain-width-compatibility-1088205.html

That’s promising so SRAM same and general width the same, but the very last post in the thread starts talking Shimano new 12sp chain possibly being different as Shimano say they altered the tooth profile on the new rings to match the new chain. I guess it may not run quite as smooth possibly.

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 12:46 Quote
The Shimano 12 speed cassette tooth profile was redesigned to improve down shifting, which it does like no other cassette, so the chain only compliments the newer cassette. The Shimano 12 speed chain has extended inner plates for chain retention. The Shimano chain rings are simpler, and steel, so their chains have also have ramps built into the shoulders of the chains outer plates rather than having the chain ring tooth profile guiding the chain onto the ring. Kind of reversed, so if you have an aftermarket NW chain ring and a Shimano chain then you essentially have the best of both worlds. You can always go SRAM chain, I've mixed and matched both in the past to some advantage.

Posted: Dec 1, 2019 at 7:58 Quote
Shimano 12sp chain doesn t fit Shimano 11sp chain ring.

Shimano 12sp chain won’t work with 11sp Shimano chain rings I’ve found out the costly way

Posted: Dec 2, 2019 at 13:11 Quote
To add I had a Hope Retainer 30T on my other bike and the chain goes round that no problem at all, so seems if doing the upgrade you “may” have to replace your chain ring depending on manufacture/ tooth profile.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010741
Mobile Version of Website