XT M8100 Issues

PB Forum :: Shimano
XT M8100 Issues
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 20:05 Quote
Hi PinkBike users/mechanics,

I updated my drivetrain to the M8100 back in August and have had so many little issues with it, I am quite frustrated with it really... I am curious if it may be a break in period?

Install was a breeze... cassette went onto my Onyx Vesper hub perfectly. Derailleur mounted precisely to my 2019 YT Jeffsy and the shifter went onto my matchmaker like it’s supposed to. Cable routing was a breeze as was cable tension etc. and of course the chain was installed inscription facing out. All Shimano installation manuals were followed to the -T-.

It was dialing in cable tension for shift indexing when I began to notice either a chatter on the top gears and none on the bottom, or none on the bottom and chatter on the top. I brushed it off and figured a few rides and breakin would alleviate the issue.
Well, over 400 miles later it’s gotten worse. I’m constantly adjusting the shifter barrel, I get unwanted chain chatter all over the cassette, especially under heavy load, except the 51t cog and my derailleur has failed to tension the chain on three occasions now.

I am no slouch when it comes to maintenance in my bike. I thoroughly detail it after every ride including the drive train. Wash, dry, lube and all. I most recently disassembled the clutch assembly on the derailleur and cleaned it, it’s helped, for now.

I’ll attach a picture of the last time my derailleur failed to tension the chain.

Cheers
-Joe

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 22:15 Quote
How's the internal routing on the frame? Are you using the stock coated cable, or not? Are you using the microscopic plastic spacer behind cassette that comes with it?

If all the manuals / install are as they should be, my pick would be cable route interference or housing drag from either a kink, the coated cable peeling, excess material in the frame (or plastic cable router if it ha one) or poor routing in the frame or where it might be clamped to frame. From pic it looks like the housing run is interrupted and there are sections of exposed cable through swingarm etc?

I'd also check frame alignment - I had a terrible run with YT and their warranties and basically wouldn't trust their frames to be straight or the drop out to be in the right place without checking myself. If possible I'd check there are no epoxy ripples or other inclusions obstructing the cable.

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 10:32 Quote
heinous wrote:
How's the internal routing on the frame? Are you using the stock coated cable, or not? Are you using the microscopic plastic spacer behind cassette that comes with it?

If all the manuals / install are as they should be, my pick would be cable route interference or housing drag from either a kink, the coated cable peeling, excess material in the frame (or plastic cable router if it ha one) or poor routing in the frame or where it might be clamped to frame. From pic it looks like the housing run is interrupted and there are sections of exposed cable through swingarm etc?

I'd also check frame alignment - I had a terrible run with YT and their warranties and basically wouldn't trust their frames to be straight or the drop out to be in the right place without checking myself. If possible I'd check there are no epoxy ripples or other inclusions obstructing the cable.

Factory through YT, same cable housing and the cable that came on my XT shifter.
And yes, I am using the cable end piece (tiny cable spacer thing) that came with the drivetrain.

There is no exposed cable through the routing, it’s all internal routing and it’s all housed.
I’ll check the cable housing clamp tension where it exits the front triangle and enters the rear triangle. Thanks for that, didn’t think of that.

The frame is square, I checked it thoroughly when assembling it. Routing is all smooth with no felt drag on the cable housing.

Thanks! I’ll definitely check the cable clamp tension.
Cheers

Posted: Nov 23, 2019 at 18:20 Quote
Can we get some better shots of the rear der install, closeups of where the B tension is? I know it is a simple thing, but one time I did not realize I had let the base that the B tens screw sets against, which sets against the der hanger, was in fact in front of the hanger. Worked similar to your situation.

The only other time I have had that issue of the der not tensioning is driving debris and water into the clutch on an 11 spd der. Pulled it apart, cleaned and reassembled and all was good

Looks like your clutch is off too.

Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 7:30 Quote
Thx for the replies.
I emailed Richard Cunningham, were all square now.
What a difference!

It was the cable guide/clamp near the BB, it was too tight putting unnecessary drag on the derailleur cable.

Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 9:39 Quote
Glad it was simple.

Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 15:32 Quote
ytjodave wrote:
Thx for the replies.
What a difference!

It was the cable guide/clamp near the BB, it was too tight putting unnecessary drag on the derailleur cable.
As suspected, glad you got it sorted.

Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 18:43 Quote
heinous wrote:
ytjodave wrote:
Thx for the replies.
What a difference!

As suspected, glad you got it sorted.

Thank you guys!
Cheers

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009299
Mobile Version of Website