Strong but not too heavy stem

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Strong but not too heavy stem
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 1:20 Quote
Hallo everyone,

Recently I just cracked my Renthal duo stem.
I am not a big sender or riding gnarly DH stuff. I mostly ride flowy single track. Yes sometimes I do DH riding and take a 4-5 meter. But those have a smooth transition and not a flat one.
I am using this Renthal duo for about 4 seasons.
I am quite disappoint with the cracked since I thought Renthal stuff should be strong for AM stuff. Yes its light, bit they are not cheap either. So it should be strong.

Before using Renthal Duo, I am using Race Face Diabolous D2. I abuse this stem much more than when I am using Renthal duo, and it still work with no problem at all. The reason I changed to Renthal is because Renthal is much lighter and I am thinking my type of riding will fit the criteria, which is mostly flowy single track with little jump and drop. And its Renthal, it should be good.

My question now, is Renthal Apeks is better than Duo??
Or should I go with another brand? I am thinking race face atlas or spank spike. My budget is maximum 100 USD.

I don't need super strong stem. Just stronger than Renthal duo

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 4:25 Quote
manachim wrote:
Hallo everyone,

I am not a big sender or riding gnarly DH stuff. I mostly ride flowy single track. Yes sometimes I do DH riding and take a 4-5 meter. But those have a smooth transition and not a flat one.
I am quite disappoint with the cracked since I thought Renthal stuff should be strong for AM stuff. Yes its light, bit they are not cheap either. So it should be strong.

Before using Renthal Duo, I am using Race Face Diabolous D2. I abuse this stem much more than when I am using Renthal duo, and it still work with no problem at all. The reason I changed to Renthal is because Renthal is much lighter and I am thinking my type of riding will fit the criteria, which is mostly flowy single track with little jump and drop. And its Renthal, it should be good.

Or should I go with another brand? I am thinking race face atlas or spank spike. My budget is maximum 100 USD.

Spank Spike or Atlas RF never failed me - it looks that you need strong stem, weight difference is quite small between AM and DH stems. Also be careful to torque all the bolts as it supposed to be, if over/under torquing that could cause stem fail.

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 5:59 Quote
RaceFace Atlus stem is proving a solid reliable stem for me,
running three different lengths on a few bikes, 35,50 and 65mm.

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 7:10 Quote
onyxss wrote:
manachim wrote:
Hallo everyone,

Spank Spike or Atlas RF never failed me - it looks that you need strong stem, weight difference is quite small between AM and DH stems. Also be careful to torque all the bolts as it supposed to be, if over/under torquing that could cause stem fail.

Yes I already torque the bolt correctly.
Maybe you are right. I weight 85 kg

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 7:11 Quote
muddytreker wrote:
RaceFace Atlus stem is proving a solid reliable stem for me,
running three different lengths on a few bikes, 35,50 and 65mm.
Yes.
That's what I thought too.

Atlas with 50mm length

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008075
Mobile Version of Website