How much toe room in a flat mtb shoe

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
How much toe room in a flat mtb shoe
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 8:01 Quote
Quick question regarding mtb flat bike shoes. How much toe room should you have?

Regards,
Luke

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 8:39 Quote
Madarch wrote:
Quick question regarding mtb flat bike shoes. How much toe room should you have?

Regards,
Luke
Try them, take one size up from what feels tight/uncomfortable Big Grin

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 14:34 Quote
Next time I’m gonna do the double sock method... the size that will fit double wool socks comfortably until it’s winter boot time...

Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 15:46 Quote
Madarch wrote:

Regards,
Luke

I have some industry experience here, so I'll answer with what I know.

There are 2 kinds of flats designs: Rounded toe areas, and squared off toe areas.

Rounded come from bmx/skate designs, and are great for trail AM and just fun poppy riding. The fit is a little snug, but you won't need a lot of room (1/4") since the materials tend to flex and stretch with your foot as you ride. This helps with body english, foot positioning on the pedals, and less tow pinching. I'm thinking Vans bike-specific high-tops, or SCG bike-specific Mids, or 5.10 Danny macs.

Squared off tend to do well given more room (1/2") and you can also be more careless with fit... But they are more sloppy feeling. Riders just sinch em up and go ride. These also typically have armoured toes, so you don't want your toes near the hard plastic toe anyways! If you're always smashing rock gardens, go with 1/2" on the hard moon boots. I'm thinking of the Spesh 2FO or 5.10 hellcats here.

Also, the material makes a big difference; if it's natural material it wil stretch to accommodate your foot (so having extra room isn't a big deal). Not a lot of options there, but something to ask your shop about.

peace!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008866
Mobile Version of Website