Riprock 20 Upgrades...

PB Forum :: Specialized
Riprock 20 Upgrades...
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 9:56 Quote
Looking for some feedback, tips & tricks with upgrades to a 20” Specialized Riprock 20.

The original drivetrain on my son’s bike was replaced recently. (He is 7 and giving the bike a good run) Went from stock shifter, casette & chain (7spd RevoShift) to a DT Swiss hub, 8spd cassette & Alivio mech.
The issue is that the mech is one without a clutch and the cage is too long. Combined with the stock crankset results in way too many chain drops.

Thinking of changing it all to Zee 10spd, 11-32 cassette and a Zee shifter.
Next up will be an upgrade to a TrailCraft crankset.

Anyone else with experience upgrading one of these bikes?
(The plan is to extend the life of this bike until a more aggressive 24” bike will be suitable for him... in a year or so)

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 2:50 Quote
My 7yr-old rides an ugraded Riprock 24” so I am not sure what is worth to consider for 20”. We bought it for his brother when he was around 7. The wheels were replaced with custom-built ones (I believe it’s Shimano hub), replaced the grip shifter with a normal one but kept the drivetrain. Also replaced the useless but heavy stock fork with a 26” Manitou air fork and got hydraulic disc brakes. We still have the original derailleur, it survived deformations and still functions alright. I am not sure if the crankset would be worth an upgrade. The unsolved issue has been that the chain drops sometimes. A new drivetrain might be able to help with that.

These upgrades made the bike so much more reliable and capable. It’s a big and slack bike for 7yr-olds but he is a shredder and can ride it well:

Posted: Dec 24, 2019 at 10:18 Quote
I am thinking the Riprock 20’s end is in sight sooner than I thought. Before upgrading the whole drivetrain again a 24” Norco FS, Transition Ripcord or similar sounds like the better way forward...

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005203
Mobile Version of Website