2020 shimano XT 12 speed

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 19:28 Quote
I want to upgrade my Tracer from XX1 11 speed to XT 12 speed. does anyone know if I can still use my XX1 carbon cranks with the XT rear derailliuer ?

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 3:16 Quote
slomoto wrote:
I want to upgrade my Tracer from XX1 11 speed to XT 12 speed. does anyone know if I can still use my XX1 carbon cranks with the XT rear derailliuer ?

Cranks should be fine but you will need a new chainring. It would have to be shimano or wolftech, those are the only two companies off of the top of my head that are compatible with the new hyperglide system.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 5:56 Quote
shred-zilla wrote:
slomoto wrote:

Cranks should be fine but you will need a new chainring. It would have to be shimano or wolftech, those are the only two companies off of the top of my head that are compatible with the new hyperglide system.

I see this posted often but have been running xt 12sp since the week it was released with a black spire NW chainring with 0 issues. Not saying it’s correct or not, just that I have seen no issues. The chainring had half a season on it before I switched to 12 speed, maybe since it was already slightly worn, it works better.

Can anyone comment on why the old chain rings are “not compatible”?

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 8:14 Quote
Shimano's 12spd chains are slightly narrower than 11spd or SRAM's 12spd. Probably not a lot (few µm?), but that makes them not compatible with Race Face's narrow wide offering for example.

I tried a new XTR 12spd chain on an old and brand new Race Face chainring, on both I had some bad chain suck and the chain had "problems" getting in the teeth on the chainring. I then switched to the Wolf tooth components chainring and it's just fine.

Depending how the chainring brand has implemented the "normal" narrow wide, you could be just fine, as Branmuffin is with the Blackspire chainring. According to a post on a French forum, the Hope chainring is compatible (at least Hope told the guy it was fine).

I can only comment on the Race Face narrow wide chainrings, and 100% confirm they're not compatible with Shimano 12spd chains.

As for OP's problem, yes you can definitely keep your cranks, but it might be tricky to find the right chainring (unless Wolf Tooth components make one for SRAM crankset, and then you're good)

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 15:12 Quote
I just went thru this. Was running XTR 12 sp chain with an 11 spd WT ring. I noticed on the wide tooth that is was wearing the black off exponetially faster than when I was running 11 spd. I switched to a RF ring I had until I could a new WT made for the 12 spd, as it wqs a little narrower. The 12 spd WT ring is much smoother with the chain.

With the new shifting profile and the fact it is narrower, IMO, it is best to run the appropriate ring. I did not want to prematurely wear out a $60 chain and a $120 cassette. Cheaper to buy the right ring. Wolf Tooth's website explains why they made a new one.

I never had any chain suck issues, it just felt like it was a "tight" fit.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 21:12 Quote
shred-zilla wrote:
slomoto wrote:

you're totally correct. Cranks are completely fine as long as you can find one of those rings.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006654
Mobile Version of Website