First trip to a DH World Cup (as a spectator) next year - any advice/tips/lessons learned?

PB Forum :: Downhill
First trip to a DH World Cup (as a spectator) next year - any advice/tips/lessons learned?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 8:35 Quote
For folks who have been to a downhill world cup race as a spectator, any advice? Anything you would have done differently? Are there any non-intuitive essentials to bring/pack for? Is it worth going to the course earlier than the Saturday? Was it easy-ish to meet pros and have them sign stuff?

My wife and I are planning a trip around Ft William and we've never been to a World Cup before.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 17:20 Quote
Beer and cowbell?

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 18:53 Quote
Loki87 wrote:
Beer and cowbell?

Are the Americans the ones with the chainsaws?

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 21:44 Quote
Probably Canadians Wink

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 22:12 Quote
Fort William. Get there early to beat the ques, to get in and the gondola. I was lucky to have a mechanics pass so I could blag past the ques! Smile

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 5:37 Quote
From what I could gather in recent years, if you wanna watch on the course you better bring some serious protection or the midges will pretty much eat you alive in FW. Look at some of the photographers, they're wearing straight up bee keeper protection. Some locals might know more than me though.
Also rain coats and good (really good!) boots.
To make some noise, bring an old handlebar and a bent rim.
For autographs IMHO it's best to go to the official signing sessions and not bother riders during the race or after or just ask your favorite rider if you get the chance. The cool thing about dh is how approachable the teams and riders are, we have to keep it that way by not overdoing things and stopping them every second for an autograph. Just have a chat if you get the chance, it's much more valuable anyway.

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 6:33 Quote
Avon so soft
and
natural ginger (beer)
didn't get one bit the year I went

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007575
Mobile Version of Website