Which hardtail!!???

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Which hardtail!!???
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 4:47 Quote
Hi All,

I am looking to buy a new hard tail, I am seeing lots of good reviews for the Whyte 905, Orange crush, Nukeproof scout and Vitus Seniter.
I do lots of different sorts of riding but it will need to be used on a daily basis as well...so be versatile...
What are peoples views! I am leaning towards the 905 but I am an Orange fan as well....
Any comments to help would be great -

Posted: Dec 15, 2019 at 13:11 Quote
If you are buying a new HT frame to keep forever...save for longer (if needed) and buy a Ti frame and you will never regret it...I recommend a Kingdom Vendetta because they are just the best!

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 7:41 Quote
It looks like you're set on an alu hardtail around the £1600 price range?

You could also add Ragley, Dartmoor, Norco, Santa Cruz Chameleon (if you can squeeze the budget to £1900), Commencal meta HT, Marin San Quentin, Kona Honzo and Specialized Fuse to your list.

Of the 4 you listed I think I'd go for the Scout, the 29er version if available, but personally I'd be looking for a steel frame like the Orange P7, Ragley Bigwig, Norco Torrent or (The frame I've got on preorder) the Canfield Nimble 9.

Good luck with your choice, it really depends on where in the world you live.

Let us know what you decide on and show us some pics of it!

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 7:59 Quote
You could always consider a Salsa Timberjack. I really like mine, but it's the only modern hardtail I've ridden. It has adjustable chainstays so you can do stupid shit like put a 160 fork on it and stretch it out a bit.

I'm hoping I can find some $$ to get a Nordest Bardinho Ti frame...because it looks fun.

Posted: Dec 18, 2019 at 8:49 Quote
MZE76 wrote:
Hi All,

I am looking to buy a new hard tail, I am seeing lots of good reviews for the Whyte 905, Orange crush, Nukeproof scout and Vitus Seniter.
I do lots of different sorts of riding but it will need to be used on a daily basis as well...so be versatile...
What are peoples views! I am leaning towards the 905 but I am an Orange fan as well....
Any comments to help would be great -

Marin San Qeuntin, Radon Cragger, NS Eccentric, Vitus Sentier and the Commencal Meta Ht Am are some fair choises, NS Bikes and Commencal both offer chromoly bikes.

Posted: Dec 19, 2019 at 18:38 Quote
My vote would be for pre-ordering Canfield Nimble 9. I have a 2017 model and absolutely love it. The adjustable chainstays are awesome if you want to run SS or geared. With the new frame optimized for a 150mm fork, the bike looks like a beast!

Otherwise, I would steer toward a steel 29er frame like the Ragely Bigwig or Kona Honzo. For the bikes you are looking at, I would go with the scout.

Posted: Jan 5, 2020 at 20:46 Quote
I am really enjoying my orange crush. The fit and shape is brilliant.

I brought it frame only for £300 and built it up with spares. I don’t have spare wheels so I share the wheels between my bikes.

I’m currently running a 2.35” tyre on a 25mm rim and It can be a somewhat harsh at times. I’m hoping to try a higher volume tyre and / or a wider rim later in the year to see if it helps.

If I was doing it again I’d possibly have gone for a P7 instead as they have more compliance built in.

Posted: Jan 8, 2020 at 10:08 Quote
Thanks all for the help.... lots to think about !!

Posted: Jan 8, 2020 at 10:50 Quote
Go with a steel frame. Ragley would be a prime candidate.

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 at 20:20 Quote
Pretty happy with my suped up Salsa Timberjack

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005337
Mobile Version of Website