Brake pad offset to Disc Centre? ok or not?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Brake pad offset to Disc Centre? ok or not?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 11:44 Quote
Hi All,

I'm having an issue with braking performance with my Trek Remedy 7 2019 featuring Sram Guide T two piston callipers
Ive had the bike for a couple of months now and they've never been great and make quite a savage grinding/scraping noise (not squealing), the main issue is that they're juddering quite severely.
At first I thought that maybe I had unevenly deposited pad material on the disc because of how frequent the juddering is (quite frequent) however upon inspecting the disc it would seem that the faces of the pads don't centre with the face of the disc (Avid G2CS 200mm), they sit low with about 2-3mm of the pad not making contact with the disc face, also resulting in the top 2-3mm of the disc face not being touched by the pad. I think the juddering feeling on the brakes is the pad passing over the twelve "spoke" constructions between the centre mounting area of the discs and the outside braking surface ring.
has anyone experiences this misalignment before? is it a misalignment? if the fix as easy as spacing the calliper further from the frame?

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 14:33 Quote
Add some washers under the caliper?

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 17:35 Quote
TibZ wrote:
Add some washers under the caliper?

Yup, pads sitting too low. Add a couple mm of washers and should be good to go.

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 3:53 Quote
This was my instinct too, I've ordered some shims to correct the offset. Strange that this is present at the front and back of the bike, brand new bike not even 2 months ago.

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 4:46 Quote
pierceblewis wrote:
This was my instinct too, I've ordered some shims to correct the offset. Strange that this is present at the front and back of the bike, brand new bike not even 2 months ago.

Take it back into the shop, they should have checked that prior and should be willing to correct it.

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 11:53 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
pierceblewis wrote:

Take it back into the shop, they should have checked that prior and should be willing to correct it.

Unfortunately the shop is nearly 2 hours drive each way, I'm sure I'll get it sorted with the right spacers and some patience. thanks for the help!

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 17:27 Quote
pierceblewis wrote:
I've ordered some shims to correct the offset.

You could of gotten some washers from a hardware store.

Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 5:06 Quote
pierceblewis wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:
pierceblewis wrote:

Unfortunately the shop is nearly 2 hours drive each way, I'm sure I'll get it sorted with the right spacers and some patience. thanks for the help!
If even after washer adjust they will still feel like sh*t - it's normal Big Grin
Sell them and get normal brakes like i.e. Codes (if u stay on SRAM)

Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 10:39 Quote
Even after adjusting the calipers heights they feel wrong, performance is a little better but the juddering is still present. I think I'll try switching to a 180mm disc which I have and see if it improves things, if it does I'll whip a new 200mm disc on sometime.
Thanks for the input all, I'll try to update once the situation is resolved for anyone looking for similar solutions in the future.

Posted: Dec 5, 2019 at 5:44 Quote
pierceblewis wrote:
Even after adjusting the calipers heights they feel wrong, performance is a little better but the juddering is still present. I think I'll try switching to a 180mm disc which I have and see if it improves things, if it does I'll whip a new 200mm disc on sometime.
Thanks for the input all, I'll try to update once the situation is resolved for anyone looking for similar solutions in the future.
Still trying to go Guide way i see.... In the end you will sell them and get normal brakes, every single person with Guides i know eventually end selling them, no amount of rotor/brake pads changing wizardry didn't help Big Grin

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010622
Mobile Version of Website