3 DAY - 2 NIGHT Chilcotin

PB Forum :: Canada - West
3 DAY - 2 NIGHT Chilcotin
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 22, 2019 at 13:12 Quote
I've recently booked a 3 day - 2 night Tyax Adventure bike trip for me and a few buddies for next July (2020). Fully amped and cannot wait!!
Although there's a fair amount of info out there I'm sniffing around for first hand intel on suggested routes, conditions and what to expect in general.
We're opting for the Lorna Lake floatplane drop with our first night at Bear Paw camp. Second day takes us to Spruce Lake camp and day three it's back to reality. Kinda....we're also planning on hitting Squamish on the way home to Victoria.
Any input / suggestions and, or stories to give us a better idea of what we're getting ourselves into is much appreciated.
Give'r.

Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 17:08 Quote
Expect long not too technical but spectacular riding. Have been to spruce camp but not bear paw, and it's really well stocked and whatnot so you can bring less than you probably think you need.

Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 11:56 Quote
Hey Kevin - thanks for the response. Wondering which route you took out from Spruce?
We're returning to Tyax Lodge so have some options from Spruce (HighTrail / Taylor Creek / Gun Creek).
Cheers.

Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 17:36 Quote
Pedalled in on Taylor Creek (which is mostly an old road not interesting) and back on 'high trail' and molly dog pepper dog. Heard ridgeorama and lick Creek are good options.

Posted: Nov 28, 2019 at 10:53 Quote
OK - will check those out. Cheers

Posted: Dec 11, 2019 at 18:13 Quote
whatever you think you need for food and water, double it!

Posted: Dec 14, 2019 at 16:00 Quote
rigollet wrote:
I've recently booked a 3 day - 2 night Tyax Adventure bike trip for me and a few buddies for next July (2020). Fully amped and cannot wait!!
Although there's a fair amount of info out there I'm sniffing around for first hand intel on suggested routes, conditions and what to expect in general.
We're opting for the Lorna Lake floatplane drop with our first night at Bear Paw camp. Second day takes us to Spruce Lake camp and day three it's back to reality. Kinda....we're also planning on hitting Squamish on the way home to Victoria.
Any input / suggestions and, or stories to give us a better idea of what we're getting ourselves into is much appreciated.
Give'r.

Your first day is pretty short. It's a steep hike a bike from Lorna lake to Lorna pass, then pretty much all downhill to Bear Paw. Not a lot of options either. You could do an out and back to Elbow pass if your flight is early and you have time to kill.

From Bear paw to Lorna I would go over Deer pass and then past Trigger and Hummingbird lakes to Spruce. Deer pass is quite a grunt, but it's scenic and the descent is pretty good. This is definitely the roundabout way to get to Spruce from Bear Paw, but alternative route is short, has 5-6 major creek crossings, and is not very interesting by comparison.

From Spruce I would push up to Windy pass (from Windy pass back to Spruce is probably my favorite descent in the Chilcotins) then head towards Ridge-o-Rama and finish on Cinnabar. This will be the best of your 3 days IMO

Be prepared for shit weather, mechanicals, and grizzly bears. I love that place. You'll have a great time.

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 11:33 Quote
@davidpirrie - as always, that's the way to do it! Better safe than sorry.

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 12:23 Quote
@hansbauck - we were originally booked for late June but rescheduled the trip deeper into July hoping we'd have better weather and 'drier' trails. Either way - we're planning for the worst / hoping for the best...
As far as the routes go - we've pretty much got the same Lorna Lake -> Bear Paw -> Spruce route as you have suggested. Beyond that (Spruce -> Tyax Lodge) is where there are options but I like what you've suggested as it drops you onto Tyaughton Lake Road - with an easy 'downhill' rip back at the lodge. I've been told by a couple people that if you do chose to take the High Trail all the way down that you've got a bit of a grunt to get back up to the Lodge.
cheers!

Posted: Dec 17, 2019 at 17:36 Quote
Are you doing a Tyax Adventures package? If so I think it's guided?

High Trail dumps you pretty much at the lodge, it's Gun Creek that's a bit of a pedal back. If you are doing High Trail, for sure branch off to Molly/Pepper Dog/Kens, and again you are very close to the lodge for apres beers and the lake. I have yet to do Cinnabar/Ridge o Rama but it looks amazing from the GoPro/pics I've seen, that is top of my list for next time.

I think you can get away with less aggressive tires than you think, the terrain isn't that technical and you aren't smashing stuff flat out (or at least I don't think you should, given location). It is rocky in places so be prepared to repair flats but a fast rolling tread (especially rear) and EXO casings will make life more enjoyable than 2.5 Minion MaxxGrip's with inserts. Stuff like extra brake pads, gear cables, mech hangers, patch kits, chain repair stuff, dropper collar in case a dropper fails and distribute it amongst your group.

Have fun, it's awesome up there.

Posted: Dec 19, 2019 at 12:50 Quote
@gramboh - It is a Tyax Adventure 'package', but we've opted out of the guided portion. Just using their charter service to get us into Lorna Lake and the camp/food option at Bear Paw & Spruce Lake.

Yeah - looking at it a bit closer I suppose the High Trail does deliver us to the lodge pretty well.

As far as back-up/replacement gear goes we're working out the list of items to pack along - your suggestions will certainly be referred to.

And no - we wont be ripping along at top speed. Bike & body integrity and longevity is the plan here. This will be a good leisurely pedal through the hills. Want to soak it all up as opposed to blazing through it. It will be tough to pull back a bit a times I'm sure but safety in the back-country trumps all.

Thanks for your input!
Cheers

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004970
Mobile Version of Website