Why are we paying so much for a bike

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Why are we paying so much for a bike
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 23, 2019 at 18:02 Quote
I want to buy a megatower but man 5k for an entry level build! Am i the only one who thinks this is getting way out of control?

Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 2:17 Quote
smokeybear wrote:
I want to buy a megatower but man 5k for an entry level build! Am i the only one who thinks this is getting way out of control?

They are just business, in their nature is that they will rise prices until they can and they can still sell enough bikes. Nothing special here Big Grin

You don't have to buy premium brand, you can get entry/medium builds for way less money with other non-premium brands (think Vitus, Giant, Commencal etc...)

Posted: Dec 1, 2019 at 16:54 Quote
Buy a closeout frame at end of season and build with close out parts from end of season and from classifieds. You’ll save money or break even and end up with a better build.

Santa Cruz factory builds leave a lot to be desired for how much you spend

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2019 at 4:00 Quote
https://youtu.be/vfgTXFx4Ins

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 10:54 Quote
smokeybear wrote:
to be fair, their bikes are quite good, and so is their service, but their bikes cost a lot. i have ridden santa cruz bikes and they are by no stretch bad, but they aren't really any better than other companies, especially when you have companies like YT, or canyon who charge 3000$ for components which come on santa cruz bikes that cost almost double. they have probably the best service, but if its worth that much is up to you. also SC fan boys will tend to jump on you if you say anything bad about them, so that loyalty must exist for a reason.

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 10:59 Quote
I have a hardtail with a $400 frame, but $3600 in parts hung off of it. Everything costs money...and then better quality of everything costs more.

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 13:45 Quote
Buy an Aluminium version, bolt your old parts on from your old bike.

Boom!

On finance,I pay £56 per month, for a Bronson, with Yaris, full SLX, stans wheels etc.

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 7:28 Quote
Because they are top of the range is mountain bike world. it's like asking why is Ferrari so expensive. You can always look for sub 3k bikes like YT, Commencal too.

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 7:56 Quote
Have to shop around. Make shops compete for your business if you have to. I don't think I have ever paid retail for a bike. Almost went with the Megatower C S build and price was $3900.

Posted: Dec 27, 2019 at 8:37 Quote
Actually the list of bikes that fit me is small. So the mega 290 and megatower in XXL are good number wise. I had a VP free back in the day. The ripmo was an awesome bike for me but it needs to be bigger to fit. That bike was 3600 out the door i got a good deal. Carbon frane gx Fox x2fox 36 performance etc. I go to buy a xxl megatower and to get a similar build is 2k more. So yeah I see it as the cooperation that now owns Santa Cruz bicycles is ratchet up Price's

Posted: Dec 27, 2019 at 10:57 Quote
smokeybear wrote:

you want a Mercedes for Hyundai prices? want an Affordable 'VPP type' bike get a Giant reign, top level manufacturing and after sales support. Giant has built bikes for many top tier 'brands' over the years including Santa Cruz.

Posted: Dec 27, 2019 at 12:25 Quote
Buy gently used. Keep an eye on the used market and when a deal comes up that’s the best you’ve seen go for it. I buy used exclusively and love it. End of year closeouts or demo bikes as stated above are also great buys. If the price is still to high to stomach wait for the bike you really want to depreciate more. They always do.

With you being on the extreme edge of sizing competition should be low and a higher chance for bigger discounts or price negotiation. Might get lucky on a low starting bid on eBay as well.

Posted: Dec 27, 2019 at 14:29 Quote
Wait till the end of the year and you can find great deals on closeout models. For example, I bought a new 2019 Kona Process 153 carbon in october 2019 for $3,000. That was 2k off of the normal retail price. When the new model are coming out, some of the bike shops want to move their old stock so they can fund and have room for the newer year bikes. I have found that if you are patient and diligent, you can find some killer deals on closeout or lightly used bikes.

Posted: Dec 27, 2019 at 20:20 Quote
My overall point is how the bike industry is rratching up prices. I can buty racing surfski all carbon, 20 lbs imported from South Africa for 3k and there is way more carbon used and its built buy hand. So what are we paying giant, Santa Cruz yeti etcso much money for

Posted: Dec 27, 2019 at 21:39 Quote
Bike companies more often than not are just frame designers. Need to have enough money coming in to pay overhead and profit. Back in the day there were still expensive bikes, but they were mostly high end xc rigs. The gravity/free ride riders didn't need super expensive stuff.

Now there are more options for everything and with Enduro being half xc half dh people are willing to spend the money & the market wants more & is willing to pay.

Lots of cash coming in for r&d and advertising, lots of consumers driving it.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012617
Mobile Version of Website