Quietest chainstay protector setup?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Quietest chainstay protector setup?
Previous Page |
Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 20:16 Quote
Anybody have a rlly quiet chainstay protector setup they recommend?

Posted: Nov 28, 2019 at 19:23 Quote
I have ran this on my last three bikes. Works great and is tough as hell.

https://www.jensonusa.com/ESI-Silicone-Tape-10-Roll

Posted: Dec 2, 2019 at 15:21 Quote
I have used black Gorilla Tape. Very strong and very sticky
I had a roll already and used that.

Wrapping an old inner tube especially a road tube and securing with zip ties is also often seen

Posted: Dec 2, 2019 at 16:28 Quote
mustbeme wrote:
I have used black Gorilla Tape. Very strong and very sticky
I had a roll already and used that.

Wrapping an old inner tube especially a road tube and securing with zip ties is also often seen

Similar to old tube, cut a chunk out of an old tire and wrap it with zip ties. The elevation changes help with noise and there's no way you'll wear it out.

Posted: Dec 2, 2019 at 19:33 Quote
Explodo wrote:
Similar to old tube, cut a chunk out of an old tire and wrap it with zip ties. The elevation changes help with noise and there's no way you'll wear it out.

Similar solution for me: worn out road tire, cut off the beads, layer some thin, soft foam or fabric under it.

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 14:10 Quote
3m 2228 tape is supposed to be the best

Posted: Dec 5, 2019 at 13:51 Quote
The most quiet would include a soft layer like neoprene is my guess. There needs to be more give to deaden the sound than just tape or a tire. To test the materials, you could wrap a metal conduit pipe & test slap it before applying the best result to your stays.

Posted: Dec 5, 2019 at 15:03 Quote
Old inner tube works wonders...

Posted: Dec 5, 2019 at 16:20 Quote
SS-Minox wrote:
The most quiet would include a soft layer like neoprene is my guess. There needs to be more give to deaden the sound than just tape or a tire. To test the materials, you could wrap a metal conduit pipe & test slap it before applying the best result to your stays.

Can confirm that neoprene works really well. I have one layer over the protector that came with the bike.

Posted: Dec 5, 2019 at 20:50 Quote
The quietest way is to provide some level of texture in whatever you use. Think of sound-proofing a room! A good method is using mastic tape to strip along the top of chain stay and bottom of seat stay and then crumple little curly bits to stick on top of the already placed layer of tape, probably around 4-5 of them about 1 inch apart. Brands like Scott and Felt have used similar designs in their recent models and it works wonders.

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 6:41 Quote
3M Mastic rubber tape is the stuff. If you need it quick, old tube is good too, but the 3M looks better https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/?N=5002385+3294317098+3294857497&rt=rud

Posted: Dec 11, 2019 at 18:06 Quote
I have used 3m foam tape vs the mastic tape ... some times called VHB it is about 2mm thick and is a dense foam strip with adhesive on both sides. You can make small "strips" that run perpendicular across the chain stay and then wrap the stretchy 3m tape over the ribs for a " textured for her pleasure " type setup that's very quiet and costs a cpl dollars...

Another option :

Sugru

Sugru is a japanese product that is part glue, part putty/soft plastic. it is avail on amazon and craft stores & comes in a sealed package. When exposed to air the putty begins to harden and ends up a firm but flexible rubber material. Before it hardens it can be shaped, molded, formed into virtually any shape desired. It has a very long " working time " once exposed so you can mess with it a long time to get it just right.

It is not just a formable putty it is a glue and sticks solidly to any surface you attach it to once dry.

I used this to mold custom 3mm + thick strips that run across the top and bottom of my Devinci Troy chain stay. and also formed a hose guide for my last few inches of rear brake line to keep it in place neatly. I was able to form it to run forward of the stay itself and up along the forged link/ pivot as well to provide complete protection where the flapping chain might impact in the roughest terrain no matter the gear...

Next time I will try and mold something like the aggressively ridged protectors we see now from giant and trek/ specialized etc..

Posted: Dec 11, 2019 at 22:23 Quote
Interesting idea! Or maybe Mighty Putty. Sugru is better, I just like the redubbed Mighty Putty ad.

Posted: Dec 14, 2019 at 9:59 Quote
I bought one of the hightower ribbed chainstay protectors directly from the santa Cruz website.

Shortened it a bit with a hacksaw took 20 sec and then snapped it right on.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006120
Mobile Version of Website