Quietest chainstay protector setup?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Quietest chainstay protector setup?
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 20:16 Quote
Anybody have a rlly quiet chainstay protector setup they recommend?

Posted: Nov 28, 2019 at 19:23 Quote
I have ran this on my last three bikes. Works great and is tough as hell.

https://www.jensonusa.com/ESI-Silicone-Tape-10-Roll

Posted: Dec 2, 2019 at 15:21 Quote
I have used black Gorilla Tape. Very strong and very sticky
I had a roll already and used that.

Wrapping an old inner tube especially a road tube and securing with zip ties is also often seen

Posted: Dec 2, 2019 at 16:28 Quote
mustbeme wrote:
I have used black Gorilla Tape. Very strong and very sticky
I had a roll already and used that.

Wrapping an old inner tube especially a road tube and securing with zip ties is also often seen

Similar to old tube, cut a chunk out of an old tire and wrap it with zip ties. The elevation changes help with noise and there's no way you'll wear it out.

Posted: Dec 2, 2019 at 19:33 Quote
Explodo wrote:
Similar to old tube, cut a chunk out of an old tire and wrap it with zip ties. The elevation changes help with noise and there's no way you'll wear it out.

Similar solution for me: worn out road tire, cut off the beads, layer some thin, soft foam or fabric under it.

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 14:10 Quote
3m 2228 tape is supposed to be the best

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
The most quiet would include a soft layer like neoprene is my guess. There needs to be more give to deaden the sound than just tape or a tire. To test the materials, you could wrap a metal conduit pipe & test slap it before applying the best result to your stays.

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
Old inner tube works wonders...

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
SS-Minox wrote:
The most quiet would include a soft layer like neoprene is my guess. There needs to be more give to deaden the sound than just tape or a tire. To test the materials, you could wrap a metal conduit pipe & test slap it before applying the best result to your stays.

Can confirm that neoprene works really well. I have one layer over the protector that came with the bike.

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
The quietest way is to provide some level of texture in whatever you use. Think of sound-proofing a room! A good method is using mastic tape to strip along the top of chain stay and bottom of seat stay and then crumple little curly bits to stick on top of the already placed layer of tape, probably around 4-5 of them about 1 inch apart. Brands like Scott and Felt have used similar designs in their recent models and it works wonders.

Posted: 1 days ago Quote
3M Mastic rubber tape is the stuff. If you need it quick, old tube is good too, but the 3M looks better https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/?N=5002385+3294317098+3294857497&rt=rud

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008603
Mobile Version of Website