Why such short stems?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Why such short stems?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 27, 2019 at 15:45 Quote
What is the advantage of really short stems (40mm or less) on dirt jump bikes? I've been testing a 35mm & 50mm and I'm not sure which I prefer. Thanks.

Posted: Nov 27, 2019 at 23:11 Quote
Less distances required to move your arms while being airborne if doing a trick where something moves. Another factor is that the stems won't break or bend as easily. If you are going to put the tubes through the headset, it will make the fraction less. Those are just some reasons why.

Posted: Nov 30, 2019 at 18:50 Quote
Well geometry has changed and bikes can be had that are more "dialed" for riders' particular build. E.g. reach or top tube lenth and coupled with say the wheelbase means an already stable bike. That's more of a trail bike reference but the idea is relevant to DJ also. For bar spins and style the short stem just better facilitiates this and last but not least the huck factor and trying not to be "over your skiis/bars" as that analogy goes.

Posted: Dec 2, 2019 at 19:07 Quote
50-ish mm is still the standard in BMX, so I don't think there are strong reasons for every DJ-MTB having a super short stem. If your frame is extra long in the front and you want to shorten it up, then sure. But otherwise, not really necessary.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007691
Mobile Version of Website