Shimano Microspline frame compatibility problems

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Shimano Microspline frame compatibility problems
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Dec 1, 2019 at 3:04 Quote
Anyone found they don’t have clearance for the lock ring? I just thought I’d upgrade so popped my XD driver off my DT 350 hub, microspline driver slotted straight on as expected, slot on the SLX 12speed cassette and think not a great deal of end cap on show. Offer up to NS Snabb 160 frame (boost) and there isn’t enough end cap to slot in the drop out recess, the lock ring hits the frame. I can’t see how it would fit any frame that has recessed drop outs for positioning the rear wheel.

SLX microspline on DT Swiss 350 very little end cap

NS Snabb 160 dropout

Posted: Dec 1, 2019 at 5:45 Quote
Not familiar with the microspline driver for the DT hubs, but are you sure you don't need a new end cap to match the microspline driver? I know when switching between an XD driver and regular shimano driver on DT's you need to switch out the end cap as well, so I'm assuming the microspline driver also has it's own end cap that's required. Just a thought...

Posted: Dec 1, 2019 at 6:28 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
Not familiar with the microspline driver for the DT hubs, but are you sure you don't need a new end cap to match the microspline driver? I know when switching between an XD driver and regular shimano driver on DT's you need to switch out the end cap as well, so I'm assuming the microspline driver also has it's own end cap that's required. Just a thought...

I think you are right, just had a look and the axle with does seem reduced in over all length only about 1.5mm but enough. How annoying you’d have though DT Swiss would supply new end caps if that’s what’s required with the driver, seems some retailers include caps others don’t - no point buying one that doesn’t come with the new caps. Bet I will struggle to buy just an end cap now.

Posted: Dec 2, 2019 at 4:31 Quote
Strange, I went from XD to MS on 350s and didn’t have any issue, used same end caps.

Posted: Dec 2, 2019 at 5:10 Quote
If your frame isn’t recessed it should work with flex from the frame it’s only about 1.5mm shorter. I just spoke to the supplier who unhelpful confirmed that I bought “replacement microspline driver” when I should have bought “microspline upgrade kit” - different DT part number for the kit (driver and microspline end cap)or replacement (only the driver).

Posted: Dec 2, 2019 at 5:57 Quote
StevieJB wrote:
If your frame isn’t recessed it should work with flex from the frame it’s only about 1.5mm shorter. I just spoke to the supplier who unhelpful confirmed that I bought “replacement microspline driver” when I should have bought “microspline upgrade kit” - different DT part number for the kit (driver and microspline end cap)or replacement (only the driver).

Interesting, It looks like I bought the replacement also. If you find just the end cap let me know where you find one.

Posted: Dec 5, 2019 at 20:56 Quote
What is interesting about Microspline is that the internal workings of the body are very complex, much more-so than either HG or XD. As i recall there are 2-3 shims within that space and preload the end caps and bearings. Maybe this could be playing a part, but I doubt that could be it. What I would try first is checking the end caps. There are flats for a 17mm cone wrench on them. This is how the caps are removed, they are just friction fit. Maybe see if one of the caps has come slightly too far out from it's seated position?

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 23:17 Quote
That’s sounds very wrong on all fronts. I have the new replacement “kit” now and it’s a one piece body with two bearings separated by a pipe spacer and a loose solid end cap that’s longer than the XD one. All just pushes together same as XD.

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 11:46 Quote
StevieJB wrote:
That’s sounds very wrong on all fronts. I have the new replacement “kit” now and it’s a one piece body with two bearings separated by a pipe spacer and a loose solid end cap that’s longer than the XD one. All just pushes together same as XD.

Exactly as you said, "one piece body" but the inner workings of the body are what I am speaking of. I have pulled these apart and the adjustment process can be quite frustrating. However I have only worked on the shimano branded ones and not the offerings from DT and the other companies currently available to license the standard, so there may be some differences. I only mentioned this because I have noticed some slop in these if they are not correctly pieced back together, And one of the outcomes was that the hub did not quite sit correctly between the dropouts.

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 11:49 Quote
DT The body has no inner workings it’s basically a pipe with splines on the outside with two bearings pushed into each end.

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 11:53 Quote
StevieJB wrote:
DT The body has no inner workings it’s basically a pipe with splines on the outside with two bearings pushed into each end.

I am aware of this, I am speaking of the Microspline system. So I am a bit confused now, Is is microspline of which is not working in your frame? Because if not the title of this post makes it seem as though this is the problem.

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 11:59 Quote
DT Microspline

Quite clear I think, my question was answered correctly, they didn’t supply the whole kit i.e. the appropriate end cap. I ordered from a different supplier and it came with a replacement end cap and the lock ring now has enough end cap protruding to clear the recess in the frame. Microspline refers to the small splines in comparison to the old Shimano drivers with wide splines, are you confusing the internals of Shimano Scylence hubs?

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 12:08 Quote
StevieJB wrote:
DT Microspline

Quite clear I think, my question was answered correctly, they didn’t supply the whole kit i.e. the appropriate end cap. I ordered from a different supplier and it came with a replacement end cap and the lock ring now has enough end cap protruding to clear the recess in the frame.

I see, apologies, I only got involved because if this was the Shimano house branded system this may be a different story.

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 13:21 Quote
Stevie did you find the right end cap or order a whole new microspline driver?

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 13:52 Quote
I returned it and ordered the complete kit from a different supplier, I’ve not been able to find the end cap on its own online I’m afraid - I think the best bet is a local bike shop that deals with DT Swiss.

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006660
Mobile Version of Website