Firearms

Posted: Dec 2, 2019 at 17:00 Quote
I was out the other day and my riding partner had "The pocket canon" in case of bears...he has another for when the worry is only feral hogs or rattle snakes (crocodiles are their own mess). Plus, just in case some of the natives get too rowdy.

Few months back some idiots from a NE state were our with a group of us riding...complaining that they "did not feel safe" with the gun laws in this state and it makes them nervous....fully 60% of the others were armed (with guns) at the time...when it was pointed out the lefties hit the road! (good riddance)

As for the antigun idiots...well, in Chicago guns are illegal... (so is murder and drugs - DUI too if you ask the newly fired chief of Police).

One must remember, our RIGHT to own guns in the US was to fight off a Tyrannical Govt, not shoot dinner. I suppose I could mention the man who was on London Bridge killing folks....wait, yep....a gun ended that situation. If you do not want to be near a MTN Bike person with a rightfully held legal firearm...do not ride in FL....well, or in Chicago, NY, NO and on and on and on (only in the last examples the guns are not legal).

Posted: Dec 2, 2019 at 17:50 Quote
RoadStain wrote:
I was out the other day and my riding partner had "The pocket canon" in case of bears...he has another for when the worry is only feral hogs or rattle snakes (crocodiles are their own mess). Plus, just in case some of the natives get too rowdy.

Few months back some idiots from a NE state were our with a group of us riding...complaining that they "did not feel safe" with the gun laws in this state and it makes them nervous....fully 60% of the others were armed (with guns) at the time...when it was pointed out the lefties hit the road! (good riddance)

As for the antigun idiots...well, in Chicago guns are illegal... (so is murder and drugs - DUI too if you ask the newly fired chief of Police).

One must remember, our RIGHT to own guns in the US was to fight off a Tyrannical Govt, not shoot dinner. I suppose I could mention the man who was on London Bridge killing folks....wait, yep....a gun ended that situation. If you do not want to be near a MTN Bike person with a rightfully held legal firearm...do not ride in FL....well, or in Chicago, NY, NO and on and on and on (only in the last examples the guns are not legal).

Thanks for the unsolicited rant with no relevance to the thread.

Posted: Dec 2, 2019 at 18:58 Quote
Does it not actually say the right to bare arms for the purpose of a well organized militia?

I think the current laws are a perversion of the original intent. Joe Bob sitting on 20 guns and 10k rounds of ammunition is not what I call a well organized militia.

Rant on.

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 3:41 Quote
reverend27 wrote:
Does it not actually say the right to bare arms for the purpose of a well organized militia?

I think the current laws are a perversion of the original intent. Joe Bob sitting on 20 guns and 10k rounds of ammunition is not what I call a well organized militia.

Rant on.

Your right. The intent of the United States Constitution would allow Joe Bob to be equally armed. The fact that many ignorant police departments are running around with military vehicles is laughable. They are effectively for parades and psychological warfare during "Show and Tell" sessions at public schools trying to indoctrinate kids to be dogmatic followers.

But, as for the OP...most of the guys (and women) near me ride with a holster offset to one side at their waist line on their back. I know one woman who keeps hers "between the girls" (her words not mine) at chest level. I have seen a few in side pockets on CamelBak style packs.

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 5:45 Quote
In my 30 years of riding, I can't think of a single time that I've seen someone riding with a gun. I really enjoy shooting, but I'd never even consider carrying a gun for a ride. I'm just not that afraid.

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 7:09 Quote
I think it’s ironic that people will spend thousands of dollars to get the lightest MTB possible then pack a 2+ lbs gun. I’m glad I don’t fear the wide life or locals where I ride, but can understand the need for a firearm or bear spray in some parts of the world.

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 9:11 Quote
DonLopez wrote:
I think it’s ironic that people will spend thousands of dollars to get the lightest MTB possible then pack a 2+ lbs gun. I’m glad I don’t fear the wide life or locals where I ride, but can understand the need for a firearm or bear spray in some parts of the world.

I have riden/lived in some of the most remote parts of Canada for over 20 years and can say with great certainty that the drive to the trailhead is more dangerous than the wildlife on the trails. As for locals, we are fortunate up here in "snuggly land" as someone put it earlier. Although that person was from Scotland which I believe has one of the lowest gun rates in the world so I'm not sure what makes his home not "snuggly."

One of the best things about trump is that since his rise to power, we get a much more balanced view of America/americans. It has really changed how I see Americans. If you need to carry a gun to protect yourself against your neighbors, I understand. I don't however buy that you need it for the wildlife. You don't need a gun to protect yourself from a rattlesnake. In fact, that would be some pretty good shooting. Bears etc rarely attack anyone. Not sure about hogs, or how dangerous they are. Maybe you need a gun for that? I'd be curious what percentage of people on here carry a gun while riding. I'd also be curious how often someone gets shot accidentally while doing it.

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 9:56 Quote
Every bear I've ran into has bolted from me almost immediately. There was one probably 100 meters away which stood on its hind legs as its cub scurried up the tree next to it. It stayed close to its cub and watched me pedal away. If you are riding down a trail and spook knees close to a cub while on your bike, theres nothing you can do.
Making noise and being aware is the best defense.

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 10:35 Quote
As an American that carries a firearm. I've never carried my gun when riding. Seen lots of bears. A responsible gun owner wouldn't be asking this on a public bike forum. Maybe a gun forum but there are twats that think it's cool to walk around a store with a rifle on their back, when they would be the first target if there was something going to happen.

If you need to carry, get the proper holster to conceal it so people aren't scared of you on the trail. And practice drawing the weapon from its location.

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 11:40 Quote
To the OP, on the few occasions I ride with a weapon (specifically, a pistol), I simply have it within my backpack. Obviously not the best place to have it in case I need it in a hurry, but I don't carry it on a ride for the ride. Instead, I carry it so not to leave it in a parked vehicle. Responsibility! Even though I have hidden gun safes in my vehicles, I do not leave weapons at trail heads. Often, just to much of a questionable area when I ride inner city trails.

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 11:41 Quote
Cerberus75 wrote:
Maybe a gun forum but there are twats that think it's cool to walk around a store with a rifle on their back, when they would be the first target if there was something going to happen.

Except you can't be yellow, brown, or black. "Those people" are acary terrorists brandishing their scary guns when they open carry.

I myself love guns but hate most other gun owners.

OP, for real I'd probably go with a lightweight shoulder holster with a 1911, no round in chamber, hammer down, mag inserted.

That said I'm also Canadian and the CFO is never going to issue a concealed carry permit ever unless you're a politician, judge, or similar so carrying never even crosses my mind. TBH I don't even think about bear bangers or anything like that.

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 12:31 Quote
When someone decides that carrying a firearm is needed, I trust they have
evaluated there environment to determine such need is warranted,
as well as complying with laws in the given area intended to be carrying.

Many seem to be responding with why the need to,
which they base on there own snuggly land experience, I too for the most part
live in a snuggly land, and my fire arms carry is nothing more than taking the
straight pull AR to the range.

However, we can't imagine how some extreme enviornments can be unless we are
actually there to experience it, and with folk traveling around the world it can
vary from one country to the next.

The OP has no obvious country noted to there user name, so theres no telling
where they are or even where they are planning on riding, so jumping to conclusions
based on folk living in snuggly land, seems lost from a judgemental view against
firearm carry.

Also, not all situations can be resolved with carrying a gun, each is unique to so many
dynamic factors, you would have to read the situation as it evolves, playing passive through out
or to a point that may give you an opportunity to act, or best to do your upmost to avoid if possible
in the first instance.

Video link is of a cyclist robbed at Gunpoint While Wearing a GoPro, peronally I have never been in
this scenario as a civvie, but if a gun was visible to these fellas it would have changed there
tact and the outcome could have been worse.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ysc8m

Government of Greenland advice firearms carry for expeditions with a
minimum calibre for firearms of 7.62 mm,
I know its not related to riding your bike, unless perhaps you want to ride your bike in this region,
but it highlights opinion for firearms carry as part of a risk assesment.

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 16:14 Quote
Explodo wrote:
In my 30 years of riding, I can't think of a single time that I've seen someone riding with a gun. I really enjoy shooting, but I'd never even consider carrying a gun for a ride. I'm just not that afraid.

I agree 100%. It is the right of the individual however. Near me, many opt to carry. The comment about not leaving it in the car...may have hit the nail on the head. I have seen bears, giant hogs, snakes and on and on...while it was in another state, the only time I felt I needed a gun was someone outside Chicago asking why I was on "their bike" (knowing that I was on a multi-thousand dollar bike). Recently in FL there have been a few snatch and grabs of bikes in the distant region. People are far more worry some than critters.

As for the rest of the world? Well, I have traveled TONS of it...as our leader said...well, much of it is a S*** Hole. I have plenty more to explore in the United States before I go back to Africa and god forbid Mexico-South America. Europe? Beh....looks neat on post cards.

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 17:37 Quote
Bear spray in the face works on humans too

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010085
Mobile Version of Website