Firearms

O+
Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 17:39 Quote
http://hillpeoplegear.com/

I've seen my fair share of meth heads out near Colorado Springs while riding. Numerous people have been robbed or killed by them in this area. Depending on where I'm riding, I'll definitely had a pistol on me.

O+
Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 7:24 Quote
I have heard of people riding remote trails in Northern California and ending up in pot fields or meth manufacturing. I don't think I would want to have a gun when 2 people jump out with shotguns. Happened to a friend hiking in central California.

Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 8:33 Quote
[Quote="asmtb"I don't think I would want to have a gun when 2 people jump out with shotguns. Ha[/Quote]

That is EXACTLY when I would want a gun. I suppose maybe a stern warning would assist? OMG. There is a reason gun crime in Chicago - New Orleans - Baltimore have such high gun violence. The bad guys know the good guys are not armed (as they would be breaking the law).

Does not matter on a bike, bike trail or in a bike shop....(can say that I know that every shop near our local trail is well armed as are most customers)

O+
Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 9:15 Quote
Just because your armed doesn't mean that you need to escalate. Guys guarding their crops don't want to kill random people. Meth heads living in the woods who want to steal your shit and are tweaked out of their minds probably could severely injure you or kill you.

Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 9:23 Quote
Back on point - tonight there is a group ride. I know a few guys (and girls) who carry. I will ask them what their preferred holster on the bike is.

O+
Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 9:35 Quote
RoadStain wrote:
Back on point - tonight there is a group ride. I know a few guys (and girls) who carry. I will ask them what their preferred holster on the bike is.

The hill people gear chest rig is the best option IMO. Secure, not going to catch on anything, easy access for a proper draw

Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 9:52 Quote
Bike theft has become a big deal here in the mtns of NC. I live in the foothills, but riding around with several thousand dollars worth of bike has me thinking about carrying. I have started carrying in the right circumstances. The price of bikes has changed the game.

I ride at night a lot in the winter, by myslef on a local park trail that also sees a lot of foot traffic. Most of the time folks are notmal trail walkers but the other night, a couple young rough looking folks were on the trail as it was getting dark. I did not have an issue, but it sure would have been easy for them to have taken my bike if that is what they were after. 99% of the time, no worries for me, but I know I am not interested in "giving" my bike away, because I cannot afford another, nor do I want to get hurt or killed because of it.

In these instances where I do carry, I pack a Baretta Bobcat, 25 caliber. It is actually my wife's gun. I don't really want to deal with my 9mm on the trails.

Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 10:19 Quote
RoadStain wrote:
[Quote="asmtb"I don't think I would want to have a gun when 2 people jump out with shotguns. Ha

That is EXACTLY when I would want a gun. I suppose maybe a stern warning would assist? OMG. There is a reason gun crime in Chicago - New Orleans - Baltimore have such high gun violence. The bad guys know the good guys are not armed (as they would be breaking the law).

Does not matter on a bike, bike trail or in a bike shop....(can say that I know that every shop near our local trail is well armed as are most customers)[/Quote]
Who told you that the NRA?

O+
Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 11:44 Quote
RoadStain wrote:
[Quote="asmtb"I don't think I would want to have a gun when 2 people jump out with shotguns. Ha

That is EXACTLY when I would want a gun. I suppose maybe a stern warning would assist? OMG.[/Quote]

Two guys have a shotgun pointed at you, you pull a 9mm..lol

Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 12:57 Quote
reverend27 wrote:

Lets see - lived in Chicago area for most of my life (working at a trauma center). I have seen first hand how safe "Gun Free" zones are. Now, no longer in a gun free zone, plus it makes me feel very comfortable knowing that a very high percentage of my fellow Walmart Shoppers are legally armed inside the store and out in the parking lot. Plus, the folks on the trails are as well.....heck, now even are properly trained school teachers can be properly armed!!!! (Sweet)

As for the "natives", I would much rather run into some "Hill" people than the south Chicago "Hood" people.

Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 13:27 Quote
RoadStain wrote:
reverend27 wrote:

Lets see - lived in Chicago area for most of my life (working at a trauma center). I have seen first hand how safe "Gun Free" zones are. Now, no longer in a gun free zone, plus it makes me feel very comfortable knowing that a very high percentage of my fellow Walmart Shoppers are legally armed inside the store and out in the parking lot. Plus, the folks on the trails are as well.....heck, now even are properly trained school teachers can be properly armed!!!! (Sweet)

As for the "natives", I would much rather run into some "Hill" people than the south Chicago "Hood" people.

You sound like a crazy to most people. You realize that, right?

Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 13:55 Quote
Explodo wrote:
RoadStain wrote:
reverend27 wrote:

You sound like a crazy to most people. You realize that, right?

he really doesn't. passionate, yes. crazy, no. May be a generational difference, or regional difference in POV.

Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 14:34 Quote
If you say the reason so many people are getting shot is because we don't have enough people with guns..it sounds like the gun lobby trying to sell more guns.

I am not against gun ownership and most of my friends have guns. It's just that it seems like so.e people won't be happy until everyone is walking around like it's the wild west.

I personally can't own a gun due to my temper but due to recent happenings it's making me contemplate it.

Also I'm pretty sure Walmart doesn't allow guns to be carried in their stores. Which makes it illegal.

O+
Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 15:05 Quote
It's amazing that more guns is a popular solution for safety in the US. The more guns there are, the more accidents that will happen. It's statistics. Apparently there are two shootings by toddlers per day in the US. By Toddlers. One one day last year 4 toddlers shot themselves dead in separate incidents. The guns that keep everyone feeling so safe are really dangerous and no matter how safe you are, accidents are going to happen, that's life. When they recommended putting a gun in every classroom in the US, the first thing I thought was that it would increase the rate of accidental shootings in classrooms more than any measure of safety. I wonder if Americans look around the world and wonder why everyone else in the developed world is safer than them despite having astronomically less guns.

It sounds like the gun carrying riders here all take a lot of responsibility for their weapon and safety, which is a silver lining i suppose. If nothing else this thread has made me second guess any urge to come ride trails in the US. I had the unnerving experience a few years ago riding in Idaho during hunting season and getting off the trails as it was obvious that the risk wasn't worth it. Different priorities.

O+
Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 15:09 Quote
black guy here who has a CCW. i carry everywhere i go even when i ride. it stays in my backpack in a holster. if you feel the need to carry then i suggest you do just keep it concealed.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014099
Mobile Version of Website