Centerlock vs 6 Bolt Rotors

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Centerlock vs 6 Bolt Rotors
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 1, 2019 at 15:01 Quote
If you were buying new hubs today to use for the foreseeable future, would you get centerlock or 6 bolt?

Posted: Dec 1, 2019 at 16:04 Quote
6 bolt, as they are more common. If you need to replace a rotor in a pinch, a lbs is more likely to have the 6 bolt vs the center lock rotors..

Posted: Dec 1, 2019 at 19:59 Quote
I have centerlock on my hardtail and 6 bolt on my full suspension. If you plan on swapping wheels a lot the centerlock are way easier to swap rotors. I've swapped wheels a few times and I like centerlock better.

Posted: Dec 2, 2019 at 4:35 Quote
aflax wrote:
I have centerlock on my hardtail and 6 bolt on my full suspension. If you plan on swapping wheels a lot the centerlock are way easier to swap rotors. I've swapped wheels a few times and I like centerlock better.
If you swap wheels a lot, its best to have rotors on all wheels you are swapping to avoid changing rotors at all Big Grin
They're quite cheap.

Posted: Dec 2, 2019 at 7:10 Quote
that said, changing 6-bolts is not hard at all

Posted: Dec 2, 2019 at 9:11 Quote
Having a mix of both 6 bolt fittings are far easier. The number of times I have had the lock nut jammed and even the proper tool will not shift it. It is so thin there is not enough support on the nut to get it off. They may be fine when brand new but once some general muck and damp has got into everything all bets are off.

With bolts it is generally easier to get stubborn ones out and you don't need special tools.

I tried a Centerlock to 6 bolt adaptor to try and work around it but that was a dead loss. For whatever reason even the genuine Shimano one was not accurate enough to hold the rotor properly. You could also see it moving under braking load.

I also think that you can get better 6 bolt rotors that are thicker and last longer. Magura are quite a bit thicker and for long-term use it does make a difference.

Until 18 months ago my commuter bike had a 6 bolt stainless on the rear. I replaced the bike with an Alfine 8 Centerlock hub (still not totally convinced it was the correct thing to do) and am on my second rotor due to wear. The others lasted twice as long. Had a right game getting the lock ring off after a winter's riding.

Posted: Dec 2, 2019 at 21:42 Quote
mark-p wrote:
Having a mix of both 6 bolt fittings are far easier. The number of times I have had the lock nut jammed and even the proper tool will not shift it. It is so thin there is not enough support on the nut to get it off. They may be fine when brand new but once some general muck and damp has got into everything all bets are off.

With bolts it is generally easier to get stubborn ones out and you don't need special tools.

I tried a Centerlock to 6 bolt adaptor to try and work around it but that was a dead loss. For whatever reason even the genuine Shimano one was not accurate enough to hold the rotor properly. You could also see it moving under braking load.

I also think that you can get better 6 bolt rotors that are thicker and last longer. Magura are quite a bit thicker and for long-term use it does make a difference.

Until 18 months ago my commuter bike had a 6 bolt stainless on the rear. I replaced the bike with an Alfine 8 Centerlock hub (still not totally convinced it was the correct thing to do) and am on my second rotor due to wear. The others lasted twice as long. Had a right game getting the lock ring off after a winter's riding.

Not sure where you get this.

Six bolt, center lock adapter or actual center lock are just different ways of attaching a rotor. Right tools, all the same. Literally dozens here don’t buy the mark-p view

Posted: 23 hours ago Quote
If you want to use the newest Shimano IceTech with Freeza, you have to buy centerlock. Centerlock is usually a little lighter if you're counting grams.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007006
Mobile Version of Website