Newbie needs some advice with new bike

PB Forum :: 29ers
Newbie needs some advice with new bike
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 1, 2019 at 18:03 Quote
Hi
So I just got one of Norco's 2019 Demo Slight C1 bikes at my lbs.
It was a great deal compared to the A1 Slight or Fuel EX 8 I was previously looking at.
Anyway long story shot I'm coming from a 24 speed HT to my X1 FB & I want to try to get the gearing on the new bike a little closer to my HT. It came with a stock 30T chain ring that I'm looking to upgrade to a 34T.

My question is with my X01 eagle drivetrain due I need to buy the more expensive sram chain ring or can I save some cash with a steel sram that's 1/5 the cost or maybe a raceface one that's 1/2 then cost of the stock (alum ?) Sram chain ring ?

Also one more question I had was about the DT Swiss 350 hubs, is the 18t to 54t engagement a good upgrade at my basic skill level or should I just ride it stock till I get better skills?

Thanks in Advance

Posted: Dec 2, 2019 at 18:15 Quote
When I moved from HT to FS I too wanted the FS to have gearing like the 20sp HT but in the low gear sense as I replaced the 32t with a 26t to get that low ratio down to .57 to meet my climbing needs. With this long travel bike being a few more pounds than the HT, your top end comes from gravity pulling you downhill then use the low gearing to get back to the top without rupturing a lung. Steel chainring is fine, just more weight. As far as hubs, I have 370 3 Pawl which I’m perfectly happy with. I’ve seen they can be converted as well buy why fix what ain’t broke...unleeessss you got a bad case of the mod bug with time and money to burn, guess it’ll be a nice winter project..d;o)

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 17:10 Quote
to answer your questions.
1. the steel one will work just fine. May be a few grams heavier but on that bike, who cares. Here is one for $19
https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/products/sram-x-sync-2-steel-eagle-chainring-34t-direct-mount-3mm-offset-black?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpbStluea5gIVjONkCh1QygvdEAQYAyABEgKW6_D_BwE

2. Yes the 54t engagement is worth every penny esp. coming from the 18T. You will thank yourself on technical uphills and pedalling out of berms and corners.

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 20:19 Quote
Thank you for both your reply's
I'm really looking forward to some better weather to try out my new bike.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006651
Mobile Version of Website