12 speed XT drivetrain but with XO crank/front chainring? Will it work?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
12 speed XT drivetrain but with XO crank/front chainring? Will it work?
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Dec 2, 2019 at 17:43 Quote
Anyone know if a Shimano 12 speed mini drivetrain will work with a SRAM XO crank/chainring up front?

Guessing it'll come down to the whether the XT chain plates & Quick Link will play nicely with the SRAM narrow wide chainring profile. Would like to keep my XO cranks and BB but move the rest of the drivetrain to Shimano 12sp.

Any insight appreciated

Posted: Dec 2, 2019 at 23:31 Quote
DurtCobain wrote:
Anyone know if a Shimano 12 speed mini drivetrain will work with a SRAM XO crank/chainring up front?

Guessing it'll come down to the whether the XT chain plates & Quick Link will play nicely with the SRAM narrow wide chainring profile. Would like to keep my XO cranks and BB but move the rest of the drivetrain to Shimano 12sp.

Any insight appreciated
Chainring from SRAM will probably work, but better to go with Shimano one because of new design to prevent excessive wear and ensure smooth shifting. Cranks and BB doesn't matter which they are for shifting performance.

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 8:37 Quote
If it were a simple chainring swap I’d do it immediately but my understanding is that they are both direct mount chainrings with incompatible mounts. Trying to avoid buying a new crank set and bb just to get a 12 speed xt chainring on there.

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 9:29 Quote
DurtCobain wrote:
If it were a simple chainring swap I’d do it immediately but my understanding is that they are both direct mount chainrings with incompatible mounts. Trying to avoid buying a new crank set and bb just to get a 12 speed xt chainring on there.
You are right, they are not compatible mounts, so if you want proper Shimano chainring, Shimano crankset is also a must. But you can sell current crank to get some money back...

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 18:50 Quote
Look at Wolf Tooth. They may make a 12 sp Shimano ring with a Sram mount. Best option if available.

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 22:46 Quote
gmoss wrote:
Look at Wolf Tooth. They may make a 12 sp Shimano ring with a Sram mount. Best option if available.

Good call! Looks like this might do the trick (OOS for the 32 currently: https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/chainrings/products/direct-mount-chainrings-for-cane-creek-and-sram-cranks-for-shimano-12spd-hyperglide-chain?variant=13793848033315


Direct Mount Chainrings for Cane Creek and SRAM Cranks for Shimano 12spd Hyperglide+ Chain
$79.95

Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 8:09 Quote
I installed an oval WT ring for mine. I will never go back to round.

Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 11:03 Quote
Wolftooth, absolute black all make the new Shimano rings, I’m sure others are coming also.

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012019
Mobile Version of Website