Pick My Bike

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 7:28 Quote
Looking for some help here! Toss out your recommendations for a new bike here. Note that I'm fairly tied to my LBS as he's done a lot of good for me over the years, keeping me on nice bikes for less cash-ola. He sells Giant, Specialized, Kona, Devinci, Santa Cruz, and can also get Pivot (not as well priced).

I'm currently on a 2018 Trance Advanced 1 27.5. Limitations for me with this bike are the 67 deg HA and the Fox 34 fork, primarily. I don't LOVE the brakes (guide RS) but they stop me when they need to, so there's that. Its sitting right around 30lbs, which is a good weight for me.

Looking to get onto a 29er most likely, and to keep the travel on the lower end (120-140 rear, max), more trail oriented. I don't do much park stuff, mostly just longer rides and lots of climbing, earning my downs. I'd love to have a Pike, Lyrik or 36 up front, with a decent drivetrain on the bike. I'm fine with NX actually - I'd just toss a sunrace cassette on there to drop weight. Carbon is decent and I'd go that route if possible. I'd do Alum too if the weight penalty wasn't crazy.

SO, what do you recommend? I recognize that the 2020 builds arent all out yet, and that people wont have spent loads of time on lots of them. But if you have demoed a 2020 bike, what would you recommend to a friend??

Possible Bikes:

- Kona Process 134 29
- Trance 29
- Devinci Django
- Devinci Troy
- SC Hightower
- SC Tallboy
- Spec. Stumpy 29
- Any others I might have missed.

Looking forward to what you guys have to say.

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 19:15 Quote
Been seeing good stuff on the Kona...

Posted: Dec 10, 2019 at 9:01 Quote
Yha the Kona line this year is fire but of course ur gonna get more or less bang for you buck depending on the brand so that can be a big detirminer but if money isn’t the biggest concern(willing to pay extra for the brand) SC is really good and have lifetime warranty so I would go for them but you probably already know all of that. So yeah... Kona has some sick bikes this year.

Posted: Dec 10, 2019 at 9:20 Quote
Crisper wrote:
Yha the Kona line this year is fire but of course ur gonna get more or less bang for you buck depending on the brand so that can be a big detirminer but if money isn’t the biggest concern(willing to pay extra for the brand) SC is really good and have lifetime warranty so I would go for them but you probably already know all of that. So yeah... Kona has some sick bikes this year.

Thanks for the help! Ive narrowed it down I think to the Devinci Django vs the Process.. I'm leaning the process way currently.

Posted: Dec 10, 2019 at 9:27 Quote
i've heard good about the process

Posted: Dec 11, 2019 at 8:14 Quote
Have you considered any of the yt bikes, such as the jeffsy. the capra would seem too much travel for what you want, but its there to consider.

Posted: Dec 11, 2019 at 8:21 Quote
Crisper wrote:

I will second the Kona recommendation, bought a carbon 2019 model with the Lyric and super deluxe on it and got a steal of a deal on it right before the 2020 models were released. Love this bike, climbs better than my Jeffsy and it descends better than my Transition Patrol. Like it so much that I sold the other 2 bikes and then proceeded to break both my climbing and descending PR's on the Kona. Most underrated and underhyped bike on the market and it is the first bike I have owned that has checked all my boxes.

Posted: Dec 12, 2019 at 4:03 Quote
travismurphynb wrote:
Looking for some help here! Toss out your recommendations for a new bike here. Note that I'm fairly tied to my LBS as he's done a lot of good for me over the years, keeping me on nice bikes for less cash-ola. He sells Giant, Specialized, Kona, Devinci, Santa Cruz, and can also get Pivot (not as well priced).

I'm currently on a 2018 Trance Advanced 1 27.5. Limitations for me with this bike are the 67 deg HA and the Fox 34 fork, primarily. I don't LOVE the brakes (guide RS) but they stop me when they need to, so there's that. Its sitting right around 30lbs, which is a good weight for me.

Looking to get onto a 29er most likely, and to keep the travel on the lower end (120-140 rear, max), more trail oriented. I don't do much park stuff, mostly just longer rides and lots of climbing, earning my downs. I'd love to have a Pike, Lyrik or 36 up front, with a decent drivetrain on the bike. I'm fine with NX actually - I'd just toss a sunrace cassette on there to drop weight. Carbon is decent and I'd go that route if possible. I'd do Alum too if the weight penalty wasn't crazy.

SO, what do you recommend? I recognize that the 2020 builds arent all out yet, and that people wont have spent loads of time on lots of them. But if you have demoed a 2020 bike, what would you recommend to a friend??

Possible Bikes:

- Kona Process 134 29
- Trance 29
- Devinci Django
- Devinci Troy
- SC Hightower
- SC Tallboy
- Spec. Stumpy 29
- Any others I might have missed.

Looking forward to what you guys have to say.

This won't be helpful post, but "....limited by HA and Fox34.." Big Grin
I think you should invest much more into skills clinics and fitness and your improvment as rider to rightfully say "limited" by otherwise excellent bike which is only 2 years old and better probably than most DH bikes in 2000s haha..
Just search youtube for some MTB 90's or 2000's videos to see what can be done with 26" wheels, shitty brakes and noodle forks.
We forget too much these days that it still depends 90% on rider, 10% on bike. I understand, its way easier to throw some money to buy new bike and think that shitty skills of Average Joe will somehow become WC level skills - but somehow they don't they are still shitty skills on more expensive new bike Big Grin
You can rightfully say that you want a new bike just for the sake of new bike, but to be "..limited.." - no way by your riding description...

Posted: Dec 12, 2019 at 7:49 Quote
Didn't even know there was a stumpjumper ST. Looks super cool

Posted: Dec 12, 2019 at 12:08 Quote
JonnyTheWeasel wrote:
Spesh Enduro

nice bike, but the OP was looking a 120-140mm bike.

I'm really enjoying my Stumpy EVO. 140mm bike with the personality of a DH bike.

Posted: Dec 12, 2019 at 16:09 Quote
Ide personally recommend the Troy or Hightower out of those bikes. Both maybe on the heavier side but they are great bikes for all purposes and pretty hard to find their limits, the weight isn't much of a noticable penalty imo

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005207
Mobile Version of Website