Privateer Bikes 161

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Privateer Bikes 161
O+
Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 15:43 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
melonhead1145 wrote:
Im about 95kg. This is my setup, fork is as rockshox recommend but 1 click slower on the rebound.

Haven't had a huge amount of riding time to get the compression settings dialed in yet though, but seemed a good place to start. Gives 30% sag rear and 25% front.

Shock 180psi +2 LSC, -4 Rebound
Fork 90psi +4 LSC, +2 HSC, -6 Rebound

- is clicks from closed, + is clicks from open

I'm about the same weight, 30% sag, and found the rear quite harsh feeling with the rebound at 4 clicks from closed, I run about 3 from full open but still find it kinda weird, waiting for the topaz to fit and see what's gonna happen.

I would try running a higher shock pressure. I'm only 165 lbs and initially found the rear end harsh. I am now running 180 psi (25ish% sag) and it is significantly better. I tried 185 as well, but found that to be harsh again

Also I found it was possible to go so slow on the rebound that I was getting really bad packing. Which also caused a harsh feeling

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 23:20 Quote
melonhead1145 wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:
melonhead1145 wrote:
Im about 95kg. This is my setup, fork is as rockshox recommend but 1 click slower on the rebound.

Haven't had a huge amount of riding time to get the compression settings dialed in yet though, but seemed a good place to start. Gives 30% sag rear and 25% front.

I'm about the same weight, 30% sag, and found the rear quite harsh feeling with the rebound at 4 clicks from closed, I run about 3 from full open but still find it kinda weird, waiting for the topaz to fit and see what's gonna happen.

I think 4 from closed and 3 from open are pretty similar? There wasn't a huge number of clicks on the rebound (Maybe 6 or 7). Could probably go a click - (faster) on the rebound for each fork and shock if you wanted. the adjustment on the Rockshox suspension doesn't have huge range so I don't think you can mess it up too much

I thing there are 12 clicks but not sure, if that's the case it can't get any better I'm afraid. The problem is I can't find a sweet spot for high speed rebound to prevent packing down while slow enough rebound to avoid bucking me off, the whole range adjustment seems disproporsional.

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 23:24 Quote
mxracer185 wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:
melonhead1145 wrote:

I would try running a higher shock pressure. I'm only 165 lbs and initially found the rear end harsh. I am now running 180 psi (25ish% sag) and it is significantly better. I tried 185 as well, but found that to be harsh again

Also I found it was possible to go so slow on the rebound that I was getting really bad packing. Which also caused a harsh feeling

I did try higher pressure but it gets out of balance with the coil front like it's two different bikes Smile
I'm getting the topaz today so maybe I can manage to fit it tonight if al goes well, don't know if the igus bushings will work with the privateer hardware. But planing a big day out in the mountains for tomorrow either way!

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 23:27 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
melonhead1145 wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:

I think 4 from closed and 3 from open are pretty similar? There wasn't a huge number of clicks on the rebound (Maybe 6 or 7). Could probably go a click - (faster) on the rebound for each fork and shock if you wanted. the adjustment on the Rockshox suspension doesn't have huge range so I don't think you can mess it up too much

I thing there are 12 clicks but not sure, if that's the case it can't get any better I'm afraid. The problem is I can't find a sweet spot for high speed rebound to prevent packing down while slow enough rebound to avoid bucking me off, the whole range adjustment seems disproporsional.

Hi there, I had a similar issue. The super deluxe has a digressive rebound tune which means it's proportionally slower at the start but faster deeper in the travel. On many bikes this can make it feel less sensitive on small bumps but Bucky on bigger hits if you try to run it faster. I had my local suspension tuner switch it to a more linear rebound tune. It's now much faster at the start but slower deep in the travel. Mine is set to be faster over all as in winter it's all mud and roots here so I run it really fast for slow speed grip. Now that is dryer I can add more rebound but it doesn't pack down at the start of the travel.

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 23:41 Quote
subwaypanda wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:
melonhead1145 wrote:

Hi there, I had a similar issue. The super deluxe has a digressive rebound tune which means it's proportionally slower at the start but faster deeper in the travel. On many bikes this can make it feel less sensitive on small bumps but Bucky on bigger hits if you try to run it faster. I had my local suspension tuner switch it to a more linear rebound tune. It's now much faster at the start but slower deep in the travel. Mine is set to be faster over all as in winter it's all mud and roots here so I run it really fast for slow speed grip. Now that is dryer I can add more rebound but it doesn't pack down at the start of the travel.

That's exactly what I thought, don't know why they tune rs like that but it seems pretty dumb

Where did you make the mods? I was on the planing sending it for fractive tune at jtech but long waiting list was the reason I went with the topaz instead

Posted: Jun 25, 2021 at 0:27 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
subwaypanda wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:

That's exactly what I thought, don't know why they tune rs like that but it seems pretty dumb

Where did you make the mods? I was on the planing sending it for fractive tune at jtech but long waiting list was the reason I went with the topaz instead

I got it done by Sprung, they knew exactly what I was asking for as apparently they do it quite often for RS. I'm not particularly heavy at 76kg so a lighter overall rebound tune still gives me more range than I need.

Posted: Jun 25, 2021 at 3:09 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
subwaypanda wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:

They do that to prevent packing down on repeated hits, so the last few mm of travel recovers quickly. I did notice this on the forks and shock that they rebound faster from further in the travel

Posted: Jun 25, 2021 at 4:50 Quote
Ok that came off exactly the opposite, what I'm experiencing is not fast enough high speed rebound so it wont pack but having slower low speed rebound so it wont buck me off at low techy sections. If I use more rebound damping to for low speed tech, it packs severely on highspeed hits and chatter

Posted: Jun 25, 2021 at 12:17 Quote
Just finished fitting the topaz, brand new front tire as the old michelin I had cracked and would not seal so bined it, new brake pads up front, a chain clean, new grips and lets hope I can manage a good ride tomorrow as I'm recovering from a fractured toe and some strained ligaments...

I'll get some fotos as soon as I can at the trail head tomorrow and first impressions.

Posted: Jun 25, 2021 at 12:40 Quote
Just got my 141 today! I ordered it the day it came out so it has been a long wait, but super excited to try it out!

Posted: Jun 25, 2021 at 14:37 Quote
Is anyone having issues with their frame's internal routing ports/grommets chewing up the shifter/dropper cable housing?

Posted: Jun 27, 2021 at 4:52 Quote
Ok riding report on the dvo topaz.

Set it with 180 psi and four bands in the positive chamber, none in the neg. Rebound 3 clics from closed. 200psi in the bladder, Rear tire pressure 30psi

Did 3 trails I'm quite familiar with, rocky, loose rut litered and dusty af, quite long 25 to 35 min but no huge drops or groomed berms, more natural trails that are well damaged by mx riders that attempt to climb up the steeps.

Compared to the stock rs the square edge hits that knocked tooth fillings out are gone, none of this is happening, I deliberately rode over rock sections I previously avoided just to check if it can take the edge off and nothing, it just rides over with out getting overwhelmed by the hits while staying up in the travel, pedal strikes seemed less of an issue as well, the sag ring position indicates this better, using about 5 to 10 mm less shock travel in rocky sections.

Although I didn't feel bottoming out anywhere, at the end of each trail the sag indicator was near the full travel, the importand thing is with the rs I could reach 90% of travel but it was harsh, this one is plush and controled. One of my riding buddies rides the same p4 but with the stock rs shock and compared travel usage and feel in some rock gardens and dvo seems less prone to giving much travel while at the same time being much less harsh.

Where it seems to lack support is when you push down to gain speed, it's soft compared to rs that when you push with your weight you can actually feel the shock pushing back. It gets more travel used compared with rs at the same sag, and also while climbing in open mode it's obvious more active than the rs, didn't try mid position in the trails to be honest so can't comment on that, locked position is firm as tested in the parking lot but I never use it any way. But for quite a trivial set up in the garage and being so much better in regards to performance compared to the stock rs, I thing a bit more fiddling will get it even better

Posted: Jun 27, 2021 at 8:16 Quote
You can really fiddle around with that thing, hheheh.
I did use the medium compression when I know it's more or an flow trail or just jumps.

Posted: Jun 27, 2021 at 11:33 Quote
So I noticed on my very first ride on the 141 that pedaling backwards the chain would drop down from the largest cog down to the 3-4th smallest cog and everything would come to a grinding halt. Investigating this issue I found people reporting that this may be due to the chain being installed backwards. Investigating the chain being backwards I was very confused, as the markings were not anything like the Shimano chain examples I was looking at.

After taking a photo, I realized, the chain is a KMC X12 chain!!! This is when the bike spec for the "Chain" is clearly specified as "Shimano M7100. 12 Speed". Looking at the other forum:

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/shimano-xt-12-speed-and-kmc-chain.1131463/

people say "Conclusion: KMC model X12 12-speed chain is not compatible with Shimano 12-2peed XT drive train." So this is the source of my problems and why I spent 2 hours today investigating instead of riding!

I am a relative beginner, so there is a chance I am wrong. But if I am not, this is incredibly disappointing. I understand if supply constraints make it hard to find a Shimano 12 speed chain. But replacing it with something that doesn't work, without letting the customer know, this is not right I feel. If they had said it comes with KMC, here is $30 credit to get Shimano chain when you can find one, ok, but wasting my time losing my mind why it shifts like crap, ugh.

Also I am not expert but in addition it looks like this KMC chain may have been installed backwards? I am not sure ...

photo
photo

Anyway please do let me know if I am wrong, I will gladly apologize if so. Or if anybody has any ideas how to make this thing work in the biggest cog without dropping down all the time.

Posted: Jun 27, 2021 at 11:55 Quote
Kmc chains are unidirectional, if they don't work one way they won't work the other way either. Get a shimano 12 spd when you can

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015000
Mobile Version of Website