Privateer Bikes 161

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Privateer Bikes 161
Posted: Jun 27, 2021 at 14:40 Quote
Normal and common to drop chains down the cassette on a modern 12spd due to the boost sizing and chainline.
Some bikes with different CS lengths and other things mean it may not do it, but i've owned so many 12 speed bikes and they've all done it.

Many use KMC x12 chain, including me. i've used shimano chains and they do the same. its all to do with chain tension and chainline.

Posted: Jun 27, 2021 at 14:45 Quote
On my 161 P3 this will not happen. Also the bike before had not such issues but I am also using only the xx1 eagle cassette and chain.

Posted: Jun 27, 2021 at 15:23 Quote
My 161 came with a KMC chain and does the same thing, it will drop to gear 4 if pedalling backwards in gear 1, however this has only happened to me off the bike, never when I'm riding it, I read than the X12 is compatable with 12 speed Shimano drivetrains. I think it's possibly due to as the person above said that they go both ways, and the chain line in gear 1 is way over, which causes it to shift down.

Email privateer about this and they may give you money for a chain. I complained about the brakes needing to be bled after the first ride and they offered to pay the cost of 2 brake bleeds in a shop, I bought a bleed kit and they paid me back for it as I'd rather do it myself. 10/10 customer service.

Posted: Jun 27, 2021 at 16:27 Quote
To clarify this does only happen off the bike, as I don't backpedal that much right now. However it is still a very annoying problem because it happens whenever I roll the bike backwards even a little bit. So I have to lift the rear end up every time I roll the bike backwards, which is very inconvenient.

And so yet I understand that technically according to KMC the chain is compatible. However I find this very suspicious, as unlike the Shimano chain it is bidirectional, and also compatible with SRAM! So clearly this is not designed specifically for Shimano hyperglide. What makes this extra annoying is I read in the forums about SRAM's problem with backpedaling in the biggest cog, and that is why I decided to get a bike with Shimano! So now to have that exact problem that I sought to avoid ...

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions everybody, glad to know that I am not alone / maybe this problem is due to things other than the chain.

And speaking of brakes my rear brake does feel very strange relative to the front brake. I don't know how to describe it but it is like modulation goes in and out at some frequency, which is unlike the front brake which is very solid and consistent. And it makes some noise too, I will have to ask Privateer about that as well.

But anyway now that my frustration over those 2 hours has subsided after riding it again, I have to say the bike is spectacular! I am most pleased by the steep seat tube angle, it is exactly what I have wanted. If anything with the seat right now in the middle of the rails, I might move it forward. And I am not even riding super steep climbs right now! So very pleased with the bike overall, other than the chain / rear brake issue I am experiencing would highly recommend, and those are hopefully temporary.

O+
Posted: Jun 27, 2021 at 22:25 Quote
Chain drop is pretty usual, I had this on all my bikes too, but since it isn’t happening while I am actually riding the bike it never bothered me, it just depends on the chain line / chain stay length. Don't worry about it..

Posted: Jun 28, 2021 at 0:39 Quote
Agree the bike is brilliant, had 3 rides on mine now and it pedals up better than my old trail bike and goes down better than my old DH bike. Love everything about the bike, even the 29 wheels are fine which I was never sure on as I was on 26 before, and I've got short legs but not really buzzed my arse yet, and bike still feels nimble enough for me, and it jumps really good, so not sure why there seems to be so much 29 hate around. Only complaints i have is the factory bleed on the brakes was rubbish, but after bleeding both brakes they are amazing, so much power and modulation, better than my old shimanos, and I wish the front tyre was ultra soft compound, but for some reason Schwalbe don't do super trail casing in ultra soft compound and I don't need the thicker compound up front, I also find the rear tyre a bit draggy when pedalling up, lots of grip cornering, pedalling and braking but I don't think the hans damf is the best rolling tyre.

Posted: Jul 1, 2021 at 11:34 Quote
141 finally showed up! Big Grin

photo

Posted: Jul 1, 2021 at 11:43 Quote
Ohhh, love the raw finish, I wish I could get one when I ordered mine!

Posted: Jul 1, 2021 at 11:47 Quote
Very cool! Here is mine in the grey:
photo

Posted: Jul 1, 2021 at 11:59 Quote
141 wrote:
Very cool! Here is mine in the grey

Did you recut the seatpost cable ? Mine is a bit too long from the assembly.

Posted: Jul 1, 2021 at 12:02 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
Ohhh, love the raw finish, I wish I could get one when I ordered mine!

It looks very good and I'm very happy with how it looks but it's better not to look too closely. I don't know how to explain but let's say that the sanding pattern is not always uniform.

Posted: Jul 1, 2021 at 12:31 Quote
JackyStyleTom wrote:
141 wrote:

It seems in my novice opinion that all of the cables are a tad bit long, however I don't think it is a big issue to me, so I think I will leave everything as is.

Posted: Jul 1, 2021 at 15:31 Quote
JackyStyleTom wrote:
141 wrote:

I cut the cable on my 161, took about 5 minutes to do, made it the same length as the brake hose. Also I had to take a link out of the chain as it wasn't tensioned at all in 12th gear.

Posted: Jul 3, 2021 at 15:17 Quote
What tool(s) have you guys used to remove the main pivot bearings?

Posted: Jul 13, 2021 at 9:16 Quote
undercoverfreak wrote:
What tool(s) have you guys used to remove the main pivot bearings?

I used this: (6002 version)

https://www.bearingprotools.com/products/bearing-puller?variant=6945719943226

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012451
Mobile Version of Website