Privateer Bikes 161

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Privateer Bikes 161
Posted: Jul 19, 2021 at 2:33 Quote
Anyone done some creative engineering to fit a 750ml bottle on a P3 161?

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 20:54 Quote
For anyone wondering what to do with the rear shock, I decided to keep the air shock on my 161 to save money and weight. I added a megneg to add some small bump sensitivity, 2 bands in the negative chamber and 3 tokens in the positive chamber. I am running about 170psi and about 33% sag. Feels so much better than how it came stock which was with 2 tokens and the standard air sleeve. Rear suspension really came alive, much plusher initially and doesn't bottom easily. I weight 190lbs all geared up. I also tried it with 2 tokens and it was good, but I like 3 better. More would likely ramp up too much and not ever reach full travel. Anyway I spent just over $100 instead of $400-600 or more for a nice coil setup.

I also noticed that the lower shock mount was binding so that the shock was hard to move back forth until the shock bolt wasn't very tight. I added some blue loctite and just snugged it up so it can pivot nicely. Maybe the spacers are too long. I might sand them down a little bit. But the loctite is working for now.

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 8:39 Quote
joelsman wrote:
For anyone wondering what to do with the rear shock, I decided to keep the air shock on my 161 to save money and weight. I added a megneg to add some small bump sensitivity, 2 bands in the negative chamber and 3 tokens in the positive chamber. I am running about 170psi and about 33% sag. Feels so much better than how it came stock which was with 2 tokens and the standard air sleeve. Rear suspension really came alive, much plusher initially and doesn't bottom easily. I weight 190lbs all geared up. I also tried it with 2 tokens and it was good, but I like 3 better. More would likely ramp up too much and not ever reach full travel. Anyway I spent just over $100 instead of $400-600 or more for a nice coil setup.

I also noticed that the lower shock mount was binding so that the shock was hard to move back forth until the shock bolt wasn't very tight. I added some blue loctite and just snugged it up so it can pivot nicely. Maybe the spacers are too long. I might sand them down a little bit. But the loctite is working for now.

I tried megneg for a while and it was much better than the stock shock. 100% worth the money, but for me I still found it a bit lacking, so I went for a Intend Hover and I honestly haven't regretted it once. But going with something like the Hover is a big investment and probably not something most people should do.

I do think that the bike is a bit let down by the stock tune on the SD, I wish that they haven't changed the tune between the prototype and final release. I got my SD tuned to a M/M as well which improved it for me, but I might be alone with that opinion.

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 9:36 Quote
I'm running a topaz t3 air, ground hugging performance, rs sdu doesn't even comes close, and doubt it will get better with a megneg, damping wise is shite really

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 9:42 Quote
NordicRider wrote:
joelsman wrote:

I tried megneg for a while and it was much better than the stock shock. 100% worth the money, but for me I still found it a bit lacking, so I went for a Intend Hover and I honestly haven't regretted it once. But going with something like the Hover is a big investment and probably not something most people should do.

I do think that the bike is a bit let down by the stock tune on the SD, I wish that they haven't changed the tune between the prototype and final release. I got my SD tuned to a M/M as well which improved it for me, but I might be alone with that opinion.

I found a big improvement with the meg neg too, in addition I also had the SD custom tuned.as stock RS use a digressive rebound tune with the idea that it helps it return from deep in the travel more quickly. This didn't work for me as I found having it fast enough for small bump/grip meant it felt kicky on bigger compressions and lacking sensitivity when I tried to slow it down. I a had it given a Linear tune to faster/lighter for the first part of the travel but slower on bigger hits. Now I have a usable range of adjustment. I run it really light and fast during winter as it's slow and slippery on my local trails then I slow it down more when the speeds increase in the summer. It's worth knowing that I'm only 170 pounds/77kg fully geared up. With the added air pressure of the megneg I haven't needed and positive tokens but I will experiment with them and pressures this summer.

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 12:41 Quote
Next year I will have my shock retuned but for now it is soo much better. If I had a larger budget I would try a different shock as well. A custom tune will be great though for my needs and I would think less costly.

Anyways I'm happy with it currently and wanted to share how I improved the stock shock.

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 16:40 Quote
I use the DHX2. Its heavy but that just totally different. I would not want anything else anymore. I still have that RS just as a backup.
I am interested in the Formula DC fork but I think I can't use it on the 161.

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 22:27 Quote
Serpentras wrote:
I use the DHX2. Its heavy but that just totally different. I would not want anything else anymore. I still have that RS just as a backup.
I am interested in the Formula DC fork but I think I can't use it on the 161.

What's the issue with the formula dc? Really interested in dc dorado, crconseption or the formula when budget allows.

Leaninig towards crconception as I have a pike with modified internals, damper and coil conversion and nothing I've tried gets close to it.

Posted: Jul 25, 2021 at 0:24 Quote
The same as all DC's when the frame is not made to handle the different load and smack from the side of it if you crash and the bars get slammed to the side.

Posted: Jul 25, 2021 at 2:53 Quote
Ahhh never thought about that,

anyone contacted privateer if the frame is dc compatible?

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 7:52 Quote
Soooo, whilst servicing my 161 I've managed to thread my lower shock bolt...

Good thing that Privateer customer service is on point and the new one ships tomorrow!
Anyone racing Ard Rock Enduro in the UK 6, 7, 8th August? Privateer will have a stand!

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 8:21 Quote
Serpentras wrote:
The same as all DC's when the frame is not made to handle the different load and smack from the side of it if you crash and the bars get slammed to the side.

Privateer posted this pic on Instagram. Could be a new frame or just an option to run a DC on the 161.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRbJXH8gGqg/

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 9:38 Quote
haen wrote:
Serpentras wrote:

Privateer posted this pic on Instagram. Could be a new frame or just an option to run a DC on the 161.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRbJXH8gGqg/

I think thats their rumoured upcoming DH bike (191/201 who knows?).

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 6:08 Quote
Has anyone had any issues with the lower shock hardware? Mine stripped and has been replaced by Privateer, I’m thoroughly cautious about taking it all the way to the recommended 8nm of torque. On the exploded diagram it doesn’t state to use a thread lock but I’m tempted so I can go lighter if that makes sense.
All advice appreciated

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 6:20 Quote
I use grease on every bolt and the recommended NM or just my rule of thumb for different metric bolts.
I don't like the lower shock hardware. It is flimsy, would be much better if they had threads on the rocker.
The bolt you screew into on my 161 is also a bit to short. That is one of the reasons why this kind of setup sux.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006250
Mobile Version of Website