Privateer Bikes 161

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Privateer Bikes 161
Posted: Aug 13, 2021 at 1:34 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:
See a few 141 riders on here. As someone who is seriously considering the 141, I’m curious as to what travel you have your forks at. I’m currently on a zeb and wanting to transfer that over to the 141 just debating travel reduction.

Put a 160 air spring in my 36. Obviously not any mind-blowing difference but still worthwhile, good to have a tiny bit more travel, and the geometry can definitely accommodate the 0.5 degree slackening. I see no reason not to run at 160, and am also running a coil out back.

O+
Posted: Aug 13, 2021 at 16:46 Quote
JoeRSB wrote:
bkchef2000 wrote:
See a few 141 riders on here. As someone who is seriously considering the 141, I’m curious as to what travel you have your forks at. I’m currently on a zeb and wanting to transfer that over to the 141 just debating travel reduction.

Put a 160 air spring in my 36. Obviously not any mind-blowing difference but still worthwhile, good to have a tiny bit more travel, and the geometry can definitely accommodate the 0.5 degree slackening. I see no reason not to run at 160, and am also running a coil out back.

Nice. What coil are you running out back and do you have a comparison vs air?

Posted: Aug 18, 2021 at 8:50 Quote
adamadey wrote:
Has anyone had any issues with the lower shock hardware? Mine stripped and has been replaced by Privateer, I’m thoroughly cautious about taking it all the way to the recommended 8nm of torque. On the exploded diagram it doesn’t state to use a thread lock but I’m tempted so I can go lighter if that makes sense.
All advice appreciated

I stripped this exact bolt, torqueing to the specific value. Luckily it was just the threads on the bolt and not in the sleeve. I had to go to the hardware store and find a bolt and some washers to use while Privateer sent me a new bolt. I'm wondering if it is just bad metal that they've made the bolts and sleeves out of?

They should probably re-think all of their bolts/bearings/linkages for the future as they seem to be pretty cheap overall. Might end up costing them more in the long run to replace all of these things for customers that are having issues.

Posted: Aug 18, 2021 at 9:19 Quote
I've heard of a few people now stripping the lower shock bolt when tightening to the exact torque too. Hopefully Privateer are sending out stronger replacements. It's annoying the bolts are cheap but I'm not worried as they seem to be super good at getting stuff sent out same week, all for free.

Posted: Aug 21, 2021 at 9:19 Quote
jalopyj wrote:
JoeRSB wrote:
bkchef2000 wrote:

Nice. What coil are you running out back and do you have a comparison vs air?

Cane Creek Kitsuma, first ever time running coil for me. Initially too low a spring rate on a progressive coil, which felt amazing off top but i was sat too deep in travel. So have now gone up a spring rate and onto a linear coil too, which is feeling much more supportive. Definitely helps make it feel like you've got more than 141mm of travel, obviously it's not DH bike levels of bottomless feeling, but it does make it super composed when racing and gives you loads of confidence. Could also be worthwhile long stroking the shock, 205x60 trunnion would net you 146mm of travel and i reckon the frame would clear it - i just didn't have the balls to try in case it doesn't!

Regarding lower shock bolts, spoke to Privateer guys at an event and it's something they're aware and potentially changing the spec on, sure they'll let us know when the new bolts are released

Posted: Aug 21, 2021 at 12:21 Quote
Got my 141 frame built up this week. It's a pretty awesome ride! Budget went out the window though Eek

Just for info...My frame came fitted with the 2022 Fox Float X, not the DPX2 as specced Cool

Posted: Aug 23, 2021 at 1:11 Quote
jaycey wrote:
Got my 141 frame built up this week. It's a pretty awesome ride! Budget went out the window though Eek

Just for info...My frame came fitted with the 2022 Fox Float X, not the DPX2 as specced Cool

Ooh. Nice!! Pictures. And yeah mine came with the Float X too. Was chuffed! I’m waiting on my forks and wheels before I can ride. End of September is the ETA.

Posted: Aug 23, 2021 at 14:35 Quote
Moskau wrote:
jaycey wrote:

Ooh. Nice!! Pictures. And yeah mine came with the Float X too. Was chuffed! I’m waiting on my forks and wheels before I can ride. End of September is the ETA.

See here... https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=230343&pagenum=1#commentid7036255

Posted: Aug 24, 2021 at 2:00 Quote
I have a 161 frameset in the basket and my finger hovering over the "checkout" button....

Posted: Aug 24, 2021 at 4:14 Quote
You're in the wrong place if you are looking to be dissuaded.

Do it, brilliant bike

Posted: Aug 24, 2021 at 4:32 Quote
melonhead1145 wrote:

Do it, brilliant bike

Go for frame, shock and fork? Or frame and shock only and look for a zeb.....?

Posted: Aug 24, 2021 at 4:48 Quote
militantmandy wrote:
melonhead1145 wrote:

Do it, brilliant bike

Frame and shock and look for anything but a Zeb Beer

Posted: Aug 24, 2021 at 6:56 Quote
militantmandy wrote:
melonhead1145 wrote:

Do it, brilliant bike

Just frame, I replaced sdu with a topaz and there's nothing to compare, ground hugging, magic ride!
And get a mezzer or onyx up front

Posted: Aug 24, 2021 at 8:42 Quote
See here... https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=230343&pagenum=1#commentid7036255[/Quote]

Oh my she’s a beaut! Just got confirmation my wheels are at least in the U.K. just need my forks now. All you guys and your reviews are getting me on the hype train!

Posted: Aug 24, 2021 at 22:52 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
militantmandy wrote:
melonhead1145 wrote:

Do it, brilliant bike

Just frame, I replaced sdu with a topaz and there's nothing to compare, ground hugging, magic ride!
And get a mezzer or onyx up front

Not has good experiences with the topaz. Had one that would constantly loose pressure, so a bit wary. Always got on well with RS stuff. I just know where I am with it, even if it's not quite as adjustable.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007258
Mobile Version of Website