Privateer Bikes 161

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Privateer Bikes 161
Posted: Oct 11, 2021 at 6:31 Quote
rob8624 wrote:
Hi guys, anyone running 180 forks on their 161?

I changed to a 180mm shaft on my Lyrik, I had it laying around so I thought I should give it a go, to be honest it was not a big difference, the main difference is that I had less pedal strikes (which was the main reason I wanted to try it anyway).

Posted: Oct 11, 2021 at 9:23 Quote
IliasArk wrote:
rob8624 wrote:
Hi guys, anyone running 180 forks on their 161?

I changed to a 180mm shaft on my Lyrik, I had it laying around so I thought I should give it a go, to be honest it was not a big difference, the main difference is that I had less pedal strikes (which was the main reason I wanted to try it anyway).
I run a 180 with the 2020 air spring rather than the 2021. the older air spring is plusher but sucks down 4 or 5 mm of negative travel. By the time you factor in sag there is little in it.

Posted: Oct 11, 2021 at 12:15 Quote
subwaypanda wrote:
adamadey wrote:
Any advice appreciated

Can I get rid of the cracking clicking noise from the back end? (Think it’s coming from the chainstay pivot points)
Well yeah for a minute or two if I bounce on the suspension…

Seriously I’ve tried everything less for replacing bearings. I’ve greased, lowered torque values and cleaned thoroughly, thank you interneters!

I've had terrible creaking/cracking noise after riding in really really wet or snowy conditions.

Both times it was solved by greasing the rear chainstay pivot hardware. I was sure I had chewed up bearings to replace in the main pivots but a bit of grease on the very back end and they were perfect again. For some reason they seem to get dry faster than the other pivots.

Literally just going to grease the actual f*ck out of it this week, see what happens. Thanks buddy.

Posted: Oct 11, 2021 at 12:18 Quote
jalopyj wrote:
adamadey wrote:
Any advice appreciated

Can I get rid of the cracking clicking noise from the back end? (Think it’s coming from the chainstay pivot points)

Seriously I’ve tried everything less for replacing bearings. I’ve greased, lowered torque values and cleaned thoroughly, thank you interneters!

Does it click when you pedal? I had a small clicking/creak when putting power down. Thought it was the cassette lock ring but I think it just ended up being my pedals. Took them off, re greased them and then out them back in.

Yeah think it’s probably the back end as once I’ve bounced a bit it stops , if only for a short while. I have greased the living daylights out of the pedals, cranks, BB, all the main pivots, rear axle etc the only thing I was thinking was the Hunt freehub? Ah hell knows

Posted: Oct 11, 2021 at 13:08 Quote
adamadey wrote:
jalopyj wrote:
adamadey wrote:
Any advice appreciated

Does it click when you pedal? I had a small clicking/creak when putting power down. Thought it was the cassette lock ring but I think it just ended up being my pedals. Took them off, re greased them and then out them back in.

Yeah think it’s probably the back end as once I’ve bounced a bit it stops , if only for a short while. I have greased the living daylights out of the pedals, cranks, BB, all the main pivots, rear axle etc the only thing I was thinking was the Hunt freehub? Ah hell knows

I've had two sets of creaking Hunt wheels. Both caused by knackered bearings in free hub. Open with cone spanners and pull the axle out (if it comes out ) and see what they're like.

Posted: Oct 11, 2021 at 22:23 Quote
Vincentvdk wrote:
Hi,

I’m thinking about getting a 161 but I wonder how it feels on the flatter sections. I currently have a 2019 Jeffsy and getting the 141 will probably feel similar. Therefore I would opt for the 161 instead and also keep the Jeffsy.
The trails where I would use the 161 have some flatter sections and I’m a bit worried the 161 is purely for enduro racing.

What do 161 owners think?

I went from a Jeffsy (gen 1) to a 141...They don't feel similar!

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 2:18 Quote
shimano vs sram 1x12 transmission?

performance and longlivety and price

maybe starting ww3 with this question

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 4:49 Quote
stonedbiker420 wrote:

Had both, Shimano is excellent compared to the low end stuff of SRAM if you have at least an XT shifter. There are downsides like you need to know if you want a direct bar mount or not. SRAM makes this way better because it could be both.
I can't talk about higher drivetrain options for both. Except if you take the AXS GX, it's junk.
Had to warranty after less then 1000km. Tension spring did wear out after less then a month. Parallelogram bolt snapped without contact or crash on an easy trail with literally no objects and features.

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 5:53 Quote
stonedbiker420 wrote:

With both brands you want to stay away from the cheaper chains, chains like the SLX and GX or below wear faster than XT and X01. Shifting under load is smoother on shimano and longevity at the XT and X01 level is IME about the same, mostly comes down to how you shift.
You need to get a HG+ specific chainring for shimano though.

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 6:02 Quote
I've had very good luck with GX stuff. The cassettes seem to last absolutely ages. The jockey wheels on the mech seem like a weak point and need replaced quite often., but the mech itself seems to truck on and on. They need to be kept well adjusted, but seem to work well if you do. Every XT and SLX mech I've ever had has shat the bed when the clutch died and then started sticking, so I have a skewed opinion on Shimano stuff.

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 11:37 Quote
i want to get on with XT but Everytime i look at the Mech it breaks off.
Sram gx an up is durable as, the clutch could be stronger for sure but proper chain slap protection and its ok - also has cage lock which is worth it by itself IMO

Shifting under load - shimano
price - shimano
durability and easy of use, Sram.

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 0:51 Quote
thanks for the info guys. Anyone with a longterm review of the 161? i bought a frame but i am scared that its not good because i heard mixed things in the past few months about the bike

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 4:04 Quote
stonedbiker420 wrote:
thanks for the info guys. Anyone with a longterm review of the 161? i bought a frame but i am scared that its not good because i heard mixed things in the past few months about the bike

I have been riding a 141 for the past few months and I can honestly say it's one of the most fun bikes I have owned in a while! I'm 6' and ride the P4 and fit perfectly! I'm also a big fan of the extreme geo.... I had a lot of bikes in my 25yrs of riding and the new geo has been a long time coming

I loved the 141 so much I immediately ordered a complete 161 while I still could get one...

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 5:47 Quote
stonedbiker420 wrote:

I have the frame only option and it is one year old now.
Zero issues, I did not change any bearings so far.
In that time I have snapped the carbon wheel on the back. Ripped multiple time the nippels out on the back. Two f*cked up deraileurs and one was an AXS. Snapped chains, broken handlebar and that's it I think.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006076
Mobile Version of Website