Privateer Bikes 161

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Privateer Bikes 161
Posted: Apr 25, 2022 at 14:05 Quote
Anyone experiencing issue with the headset getting loose after few rides? I installed a cane creek last year but it still getting loose sometimes

Posted: Apr 25, 2022 at 23:36 Quote
v7fmp wrote:
Without wanting to derail… how come you got rid of the Starling Murmur?

I bought it to be a more versatile bike as I was riding all over the place. Then, I moved to the Tweed Valley, so now I pretty much ride steep enduro-y stuff all the time. So a bigger bike made more sense. Also, as I'm not very good and I drag the brakes everywhere, I'm not sure the Starling was the most "forgiving" due to the single pivot layout. Also, I like getting new bikes! The Starling was like magic in the right circumstances, but I think the Privateer is the better bike for me.

Posted: Apr 25, 2022 at 23:55 Quote
militantmandy wrote:
v7fmp wrote:

I bought it to be a more versatile bike as I was riding all over the place. Then, I moved to the Tweed Valley, so now I pretty much ride steep enduro-y stuff all the time. So a bigger bike made more sense. Also, as I'm not very good and I drag the brakes everywhere, I'm not sure the Starling was the most "forgiving" due to the single pivot layout. Also, I like getting new bikes! The Starling was like magic in the right circumstances, but I think the Privateer is the better bike for me.

cant say fairer than that! I spent a week in the tweed valley last year, was great fun. i was on a Status which worked very well. Although would still love to get my Optic up there to see how the short travel works!

Posted: Apr 25, 2022 at 23:57 Quote
v7fmp wrote:
militantmandy wrote:
v7fmp wrote:

cant say fairer than that! I spent a week in the tweed valley last year, was great fun. i was on a Status which worked very well. Although would still love to get my Optic up there to see how the short travel works!

My other half used her Tallboy here for a good while and really enjoyed it. Definitely spices things up though!

Posted: May 2, 2022 at 1:46 Quote
Still enjoying the Mulleteer, but I think I'm going to put the big wheel back on for my Finale trip. It's super rocky and rough there and not particularly steep. On my local trails though, the mullet set up seems to work well and I really can't say I've noticed any issues in terms of ground clearance.

Here's a video from the weekend...sorry for the sniffing!

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 10:46 Quote
Can anyone else report on longevity of their suspension pivot bearings?

Everytime I take the 161 apart and test any of the bearings' operation, I find them rough to a finger spin. When I take any of the bearings out of the frame they run just fine and smoothly. With one exception...

Now, the lower main pivot bearings are completely seized. I opened the seal on the bearing with a razor blade and there was no grease in there AT ALL. I've had my bike for two years and I definitely don't power wash it. The bearings were rusted through and through. Even after two years I still can't believe there wasn't ANY grease in there whatsoever. I sprayed them with so much wd40 and packed them full of grease but they still won't turn. They always operated roughly but this is just unacceptable.

I just bought a bearing kit from Enduro bearings so will see what that brings:

https://www.enduroforkseals.com/products/rear-suspension/suspension-pivot-bearing-kits/SBKPTR1.html

Also bought a new puller kit and press from Bearing Pro Tools for the 161:

https://www.bearingprotools.com/products/bearing-puller-kit-for-privateer-bikes
https://www.bearingprotools.com/products/bearing-press-kit-for-privateer-bikes

If any of y'all have fixed this issue, what did you do?

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 13:05 Quote
TWO YEARS!! Mate I'd be delighted with that. I'm lucky if I get 6 months from a set on previous bikes. Got my 161 in November and bearings are still looking good.

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 22:57 Quote
TET1 what sort of environment do you ride in, do you have harsh winters etc or grit etc.

Here in the UK we typically get one warm dry week in the south and cold, gritty constant rain for 364 days so 2 years would be great!

Posted: May 31, 2022 at 9:13 Quote
sacalobra wrote:
TET1 what sort of environment do you ride in, do you have harsh winters etc or grit etc.

Here in the UK we typically get one warm dry week in the south and cold, gritty constant rain for 364 days so 2 years would be great!

I'm in dry conditions mostly year round, in Utah, specifically the Wasatch mountains. We don't really ride in the rain here or when it's wet because the mud just sticks to your bike like crazy if you do.

The thing that baffled me is that there was no evidence of grease ever being present in the sealed portion of the bearings. They were completely dry and seized.

Posted: May 31, 2022 at 12:38 Quote
TET1 wrote:
sacalobra wrote:

I'm in dry conditions mostly year round, in Utah, specifically the Wasatch mountains. We don't really ride in the rain here or when it's wet because the mud just sticks to your bike like crazy if you do.

The thing that baffled me is that there was no evidence of grease ever being present in the sealed portion of the bearings. They were completely dry and seized.

Surprisingly mud is sticky

In winter here in the uk it’s a proper slopfest most of the time - although there were some drier bits the winter just gone. Spring has been a mixed bag - we’ve had lots of swinging from dry to rain - but the trails have been quite dry - even had dust a couple of times in Wales in April

2 years sounds like a decent lifespan for bearings - I replaced the ones in my last bike after 18 months. Some would have soldiered on a bit longer, but a few were on their last legs.

Rust can’t happen without water - so it sounds like at least some moisture has got in your bearings. That said a lot of bearings in bikes seem to ship with minimal grease in them - bearings are mainly aimed at being efficient at high speeds in manufacturing machines rather than repelling muddy water and only getting a part rotation of the bearing.

Posted: May 31, 2022 at 12:59 Quote
JoeBristol wrote:

Surprisingly mud is sticky

In winter here in the uk it’s a proper slopfest most of the time - although there were some drier bits the winter just gone. Spring has been a mixed bag - we’ve had lots of swinging from dry to rain - but the trails have been quite dry - even had dust a couple of times in Wales in April

2 years sounds like a decent lifespan for bearings - I replaced the ones in my last bike after 18 months. Some would have soldiered on a bit longer, but a few were on their last legs.

Rust can’t happen without water - so it sounds like at least some moisture has got in your bearings. That said a lot of bearings in bikes seem to ship with minimal grease in them - bearings are mainly aimed at being efficient at high speeds in manufacturing machines rather than repelling muddy water and only getting a part rotation of the bearing.

What I mean by the mud being sticky is that the dirt here in Utah is so clay-like that it makes it hard to ride when wet. if I were to ride in a wet environment like the North Shore where there's lots of loam and other organic material, I'd have less issues with mud for sure.

As for bearings being shipped with minimal grease, it's just a disappointment that QC doesn't catch things like that.

Posted: May 31, 2022 at 14:57 Quote
Fair enough - I was being a bit sarcastic!

I doubt the frame manufacturers check out he bearings - it’s hard to get the seals off without damaging them - although I guess they could spot check occasionally.

If you’re careful you could prise the covers off any news ones and fill them with waterproof grease. Should last longer then / keep the water out.

Posted: May 31, 2022 at 21:43 Quote
I've never replaced bearings apart from on hubs and even then rarely.

How do you wash your bikes? I'll readily admit in winter I only wash the chain/cassette and will often leave the rest as the bike will soon be muddy again.

Much the same with cars, why constantly drive water/dirt around the thing to look pristine for a day or two?

Posted: Jun 1, 2022 at 0:10 Quote
hows everyone been finding their Privateer's? i could be keen on a frame but looking for durability aswell.

Posted: Jun 1, 2022 at 3:08 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:
hows everyone been finding their Privateer's? i could be keen on a frame but looking for durability aswell.

I got my P2 161 in November. I've done around 1700km, including 10 days in Finale Ligure. So far it's been 100% reliable. Bearings are lasting well too. The only issue I would really say is that the cables have caused a fair bit of paint rub.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010478
Mobile Version of Website