Privateer Bikes 161

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Privateer Bikes 161
Posted: Jun 1, 2022 at 3:10 Quote
sacalobra wrote:
I've never replaced bearings apart from on hubs and even then rarely.

How do you wash your bikes? I'll readily admit in winter I only wash the chain/cassette and will often leave the rest as the bike will soon be muddy again.

Much the same with cars, why constantly drive water/dirt around the thing to look pristine for a day or two?

The state my bike will be in after almost every ride, I really wouldn't want to leave it like that, epically as it like inside. I just give a quick rinse / brush with a garden hose generally.

Posted: Jun 2, 2022 at 8:13 Quote
I was able to remove the lower main pivot bearings from the frame, which were completely seized. I ordered a set from Enduro bearings for the 161.

Before install of the new bearings, I measured the OD of the old bearings and the OD of the new bearings, and also the diameter of the housing:

OLD bearing:

NEW Bearing:

Housing Drive Side:

Housing Non-Drive Side:

So, it looks like the bearings are bigger than the housing, which is "normal" I think in an interference bearing fit, however, I don't know if it is too much of an interference or how many microns difference there should be.

32.01mm - 31.85mm = 0.16mm -> 160 microns. In short, the housing is 160 microns smaller than the OD of the new bearing and 170 microns smaller than the OD of the old bearing.

Does anyone know what the tolerances of bearing fit should be?

Posted: Jun 2, 2022 at 23:20 Quote
I Only found references in German but it should be a maximum of 38-46 µm smaller depending on how the bearing is stressed.

I think you should contact privateer or have it reworked.

https://www.kugellager-express.de/Passungen-fuer-Radialkugellager

https://www.skf.com/de/products/rolling-bearings/principles-of-rolling-bearing-selection/bearing-selection-process/bearing-interfaces/tolerances-and-resultant-fits

Posted: Jun 7, 2022 at 8:09 Quote
Lokomotive wrote:
I Only found references in German but it should be a maximum of 38-46 µm smaller depending on how the bearing is stressed.

I think you should contact privateer or have it reworked.

https://www.kugellager-express.de/Passungen-fuer-Radialkugellager

https://www.skf.com/de/products/rolling-bearings/principles-of-rolling-bearing-selection/bearing-selection-process/bearing-interfaces/tolerances-and-resultant-fits

Lokomotive, can you provide, in english, where it says the interference tolerance should be 38-46 micrometers or smaller? I want to be able to cross reference info when I talk with Privateer.

Posted: Jun 9, 2022 at 13:26 Quote
Hello guys,

I have posted lately about the frame protection kit. As you advised, I went for the online chat instead of emailing them; got a free kit; neat.

I'm doing my annual maintenance on the bike since the trails are mostly closed because of the weather and I noticed how harsh on the frame the brake/derailleur housings are :

Is this something to worry about ? I have never witnessed that much amount of wear on my other frames..

Posted: Jun 9, 2022 at 15:05 Quote
Forest-Gnome wrote:
Is this something to worry about ? I have never witnessed that much amount of wear on my other frames..

I don't think it is something to worry about and some wear is inevitable. Mountain bikes live a hard life. Add a small piece of clear tape or frame protection to any area you're concerned about.

Posted: Jun 9, 2022 at 22:14 Quote
also check the area at the chainstay, where the housing goes inside. here i would also add some tape/frame protection!

Posted: Jun 22, 2022 at 22:18 Quote
Hi, I'm new here and I have a question regarding the Privateer 161 shock.

I want to order a new Rock Shox Super Deluxe Coil Ultimate RC2T 2023 with HBO regulation. Unfortunately, I don't know which Tune to choose. Can you advise me?

By the way, what a spring rate should I have under a weight of about 88 kg / 194 lbs

And last question, I will be looking for some light steel spring, what brand do you recommend? What exactly should you decide on so that the spring does not weigh too much?

Posted: Jun 22, 2022 at 22:59 Quote
They come stock with L/L tunes.

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 0:28 Quote
haen wrote:
Forest-Gnome wrote:

I don't think it is something to worry about and some wear is inevitable. Mountain bikes live a hard life. Add a small piece of clear tape or frame protection to any area you're concerned about.

Fair comment, but my Privateer is definitely eating it's own paint much faster than any other bike I've had.

In other news, I've re-mulleted my 161. Maybe it's all in my head, but god damn it's riding good!

Has anyone gone from air to coil? Big difference? Worth doing? I ride mostly quite steep, rough trails, often in bad weather. Traction is probably more important to me that getting the maximum amount of support.

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 1:16 Quote
militantmandy wrote:
haen wrote:
Forest-Gnome wrote:

Fair comment, but my Privateer is definitely eating it's own paint much faster than any other bike I've had.

In other news, I've re-mulleted my 161. Maybe it's all in my head, but god damn it's riding good!

Has anyone gone from air to coil? Big difference? Worth doing? I ride mostly quite steep, rough trails, often in bad weather. Traction is probably more important to me that getting the maximum amount of support.

I run mine with a Rockshox Super Deluxe R, M/M tune (I think they recommend to stick to the L/L of the air), 350lb spring at around 75kg. I've got on with it really well, but haven't really done much back to back testing so cannot really compare how different it felt, have been tempted to swap back to air to see though

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 4:18 Quote
militantmandy wrote:
haen wrote:
Forest-Gnome wrote:

I remember the Santa Cruz bikes of 03-07ish. Great frames but boy their paint (outside of their custom ones) was rubbish!

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 5:59 Quote
I put invisiframe on my 161, paint is still pristine after 1 year, even in the areas that aren't covered by the protection.

TBH I don't think I've been crashing enough

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 6:29 Quote
melonhead1145 wrote:
I put invisiframe on my 161, paint is still pristine after 1 year, even in the areas that aren't covered by the protection.

TBH I don't think I've been crashing enough

Mine hasn't chipped really at all, but the cable rub is brutal!

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009497
Mobile Version of Website